Was Hitler really pro British

Mrs T

He could easily have invaded this country, It has been said that the RAF was a dominant factor in his change of plans or was he persuaded by certain British Gentry to change direction ?

We always hear the British argument but what do we really know? Hitler knew that Germany and Britain were joined by history, his dilemma to remove Britain and rule Europe would have made his cause weaker, he tried to negotiate and was rejected causing him great concern.

A new Mercedes showroom has just been opened here !

Mrs T - 2013-08-01 1:18 PM

He could easily have invaded this country,

He was looking for " lebensraum" ( living space ) for the German people - hardly likely to find much of that in Britain.

His priority was expansion in the east.

:-|

He was an under cover royalist in reality and the channel was the final barrier that he dared not cross, had he done so it would have destroyed his visions of merging into the realms of historic Kings and Queens of Europe so he hesitated at the gates hoping for an offer of partership.

To give a semi serious answer to what I am wondering is a serious enquiry.

Although Hitler did indeed want to invade the UK he did also realise that he would not be able to control the whole thing. He had in kind a similar idea to France where he would control up to say Northampton and the rest would be a Vichy government similar to France. Logistically that was his best option. His preferred option was an alliance with the UK which would allow him to draw a line halfway through France and declare everything to the south was 'Africa' At least in his mind it was.

His other hope was that the UK would stay neutral and then he could invade Russia, the real goal, without fear. Of course neither plan worked. For once the UK stood by its claim to assist Poland. Whether that would work nowadays I am not so sure, but then again we send troops to the most out of the way places which have no effect on us, so who knows.

Yes, the RAF did stop him but it was a close thing and was only really achieved by the Luftwaffe dropping bombs on London in error and Churchill ordering a raid on Berlin in retaliation. Once the airfields were left alone then the fuel capacity of the Luftwaffe meant that they could not win, and as they say 'that was that'.

I read somewhere that as the German planes came into our airspace they were attacked by our fighters who then had to land to refuel and rearm and by the time that they were ready for take off then the Germans has gone back to Germany

Churchill managed by what he himself described as "Management by walkabout"

Rearming was said to be the part that held the planes up for the longest time but Churchill "Walked about" at the airfields and realised that it was actually the refuelling that delayed the planes the longest

Churchill then personally designed a completely different method of refuelling the planes which meant that they could then meet the German planes coming in, land refuel and rearm, take off and catch the Germans on their way home thus giving them two bites at the cherry and giving the Germans a bloody fright

Well I like the idea anyway

Why Hitler stopped at Calais is the subject of more historical debate than we can hope to explore here.

One theory is that Hitler was content with the idea of ruling mainland Europe, leaving Britain to keep its Empire.

As far as the idea advanced by the OP in her second post is concerned, re royalty, another theory is that had he successfully invaded, Hitler would have invited the Duke of Windsor back to reclaim his throne as Edward VIII.

Intriguing… as he and the Duchess were childless, the present Queen would still have become Queen. And as her brothers-in-law were Nazi officers, it would have easy to ditch the Windsor name and return to 'Saxe-Coburg and Gotha'.

European History – endlessly fascinating.

Gwen

Tracker - 2013-08-01 9:31 PM

Maybe Syd, maybe, but I always thought that it was radar that enabled the RAF fighters to stay on the ground until the Luftwaffe were very close to their airfields thereby considerably extending their own combat time?

Yes Tracker you are right but this also meant that as they conserved their fuel they harassed the Germans for a longer period of time which meant that the Germans were then that much closer to their targets and their "Leaving" time thus leaving our planes less time to refuel/rearm and catch them on the way home.

Rings my bell anyway, good old Churchill

Initially perhaps.

By mid 45 probably not.

The Battle of Britain. Home team advantage. Radar gave time to get airborn and stay up and fight.

If RAF pilots baled out uninjured they were often soon back in the air. Luftwaffe pilots who bailed out were captured or often drowned. RAF aircraft were being built faster than pilots lost.

Switching the Luftwaffe to bomb London gave the respite RAF fighter command desperatly neeed.

Thanks to the generation who had to fight for 60 years of peace in Europe.

George Collings - 2013-08-02 10:59 PM

Thanks to the generation who had to fight for 60 years of peace in Europe.

Crikey. 60 years of peace in Europe? Of course…. except for, in no particular order, the Irish troubles, Kosovo, Hungarian up rising, Russia moving in on Dubcek, conflict in the Basque country, Turkish invasion of Cyprus, the Berlin Blockade, Flemish riots, Bosnia, Chechen War .. just a random selection from a random Friday night memorising… doubtless the list can be expanded.

Then of course, there are our excursions outside Europe…… still at war….

History, endlessly fascinating.

Yes I have to agree that post WW2 there there have been a few relativlty localised wars in Europe that were like all wars very nasty if you were involved. But thankfully nothing on the scale of the two world Wars.

I am old enough to remember the amputees from WW1 and the late middle aged single ladies who never had the chance to marry because so many men of their generation lay buried in a foreign grave.

I had the good fortune to spend many hours talking to my Grandfather who served in WW1 in India, the Middle East and France. He never spoke of France, his son in law told me many years later.

My own father served as an infrantryman In Burma after having survived his troopship being torpedoed in the Mediterranean. In the Fifties one of the Moselys was going to speak at a meeting probably of something like the BNP in our town. Dad got really angry and said I spent 3 years of life dodging bullets and burying my mates to stop them Facist B######sHe is not speaking in my town.. The meeting never took place. Make no mistake they knew what they were fighting for and came back and voted Labour.

An Uncle was a prewar regular soldier who fought in tanks in France, North Africa and all the major Battles in Italy. I thought he had a good war until near the end of his life I visited him in hospital where he told me the unedited versions of his war experiences. Unfortunatly due to his medication it had released the blocks in his memory and he was recalling all his mates who had died alongside him.

I have no illusions about the futility of war or their unpredicability.

Guest Peter James

(Hitler) could easily have invaded this country !

No he couldn't. The German Tank divisions that defeated the combined British and French armies in 6 weeks would have been useless on water. Hitler himself said 'we are like a lion on land and a mouse on water'

Contrary to wartime propoganda, it was the English Channel that saved us.

But we should also remember it was Britain who declared war on Germany (to get Hitler out of Poland, then left Poland with Stalin who was worse) triggering the invasion of France where the British Army had been sent.

I don't believe Hitler ever wanted to fight Britain. But I guess we will never know the whole truth. Hess was kept isolated for the rest of his life to make sure he couldn't tell us.

Guest Had Enough
Peter James - 2013-08-09 9:05 AM

(Hitler) could easily have invaded this country !

Hess was kept isolated for the rest of his life to make sure he couldn't tell us.

Do you know, I could have sworn that he was cross examined at length at the Nuremberg War Crimes Tribunal. Oh dear, another conspiracy theory shattered!

Guest Had Enough
Archiesgrandad - 2013-08-09 10:44 AM

We won the war, aided by the USA and USSR, Germany won the peace, aided by the USA and France. I think that's right.

AGD

You forgot about Britain recovering from the war, also aided by the USA. And I think that you'll find that Germany's work ethic and sensible management/union structure played a very large part in its recovery.

Anyway, I must go and load up the motorhome which is on the drive. I'm going to France. I'd like one last visit before Hollande bankrupts the country and all hell breaks loose. You know how bolshie these French can get! (lol)

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2013-08-09 10:21 AM

Do you know, I could have sworn that he was cross examined at length at the Nuremberg War Crimes Tribunal. Oh dear, another conspiracy theory shattered!

Oh Dear. Who do you think stage managed that *-)

Guest Had Enough
Peter James - 2013-08-09 10:51 AM

Had Enough - 2013-08-09 10:21 AM

Oh Dear. Who do you think stage managed that *-)

We all know who 'stage managed' it. The Russians, French, British and Americans and the judiciary from those countries, most of whom were fiercely independent. And I say 'most of whom' of course because the one country whose judges wouldn't dare be independent was Russia, Stalin's workers' paradise of freedom and justice!

The tribunals were also witnessed by newspaper reporters from all over the world - can anyone imagine that lot being 'stage managed'.

But I know - Hess admitted at the tribunal that Hitler, after he'd conquered Europe and was almost invincible, would then turn his attention to the UK. Now for some strange reason, known only to you, the entire world's press were asked to keep this a secret!

But all this is just nonsense as we all know. The entire Nurnberg Tribunals were stage managed by George VI, that unelected king, who had the mightiest nations of the world in thrall to him and the other alien green lizards who really run things!

Tell me Peter, are all your windows covered in tin foil! ;-)

Dave225 - 2013-08-01 7:56 PM

Yes, the RAF did stop him but it was a close thing and was only really achieved by the Luftwaffe dropping bombs on London in error and Churchill ordering a raid on Berlin in retaliation. Once the airfields were left alone then the fuel capacity of the Luftwaffe meant that they could not win, and as they say 'that was that'.

This is often quoted but in reality is not correct, it is not understood by many that by the time the Luftwaffe swapped priorities to bombing London the writing was already on the wall. The number of single engine fighter aircraft and pilots to fly them was to ultimately determine who won, in July the RAF had 1200 pilots and 900 aircraft vs the Luftwaffe's 900 pilots and 1000 aircraft, by Sept when the Luftwaffe changed priorities they had 700 pilots and 800 aircraft whilst the RAF had 1400 pilots and 1100 aircraft. Germany never had the capacity to maintain all out war, Britain meanwhile got up to speed just in time.

Archived