track width (stability) on Mercs?

birdybiker66

I'm looking to buy a MH this year but am still researching (and asking daft questions!) I fancy a 2007 Rapido (Merc 2.2cdi) or a 2005 Hymer 630 (2.7cdi) I read on here somewhere (and in conversation the other day) that Mercs have a narrower track and are therefore more flighty etc.

Does this ring bells with anyone and are they all generally like that, thanks, Dave :-S

There are some things that no amount of paper or internet research can resolve and one of them is if a vehicles handling suits your driving style.

Get behind the wheel. If the dealer does not want to play ball take your custom elsewhere.

My 1997 VW LT shares its chassis with the pre 2006 Sprinter. Its a big old feather bed to drive and drivers used to the Ducato and its cousins would probably complain its sloppy and rolls too much. I find the Ducato far to stiff but it handles like a car.

Suck it and see.

Hi, I think you may be talking about what used to be referred to the "Queen Mary" chassis pre 1999 where the van used to sway around like the ship. I think you may find post 1999 models are less pron to the old problem which claim they sway around like a ship.

Guest peter
Mines on a 2008 sprinter and it's great. I can make really fast progress without any problems, even whilst towing my motorbike on a Hydratrail sideways trailer. The 2.2 engine is brilliant by the way, 150 BHP as well.

As a percentage of track the few cm difference between different makes of vehicle makes little difference to stability of a LCV. Its typical sales waffle.

Much more significant is how the suspension and its damping is set up. Driving the vehicle is the only way to see if it suits your driving style.

Thankyou all for putting my mind at rest, i will be test driving whatever i plump for but didn't want to drive loads till i felt comfortable with one of them, you guys (and gals!) are the people to ask.

Peter and Dawki, do you have the manual box and if so how do you find it? I'd like an auto but nobody wants to let them go!!! Dave

I have the manual box which is fine I have a 3880kg van and

And she pulls it no probs

No cambelt ,cheap to service I am well happy with it,

Have been thinking getting a newer van but want another Merc so wish Auto-trail still used Mercs

We have a 316cdi Sprinter and it drives like a dream in manual or automatic. As with all vehicles you have to take account of the "bow wave" effect when passing large vehicles and during gusty windy weather but I prefer the Merc over the Fiat every time!!! ;-) B-)

Dave, a few more observations:-

As you quite rightly like to do your homework don't simply test drive it, get underneath it and make sure it is what you think it is! There are some viariants of the standard Merc chassis and I have one on my Frankia. This is a joint effort with Alko designed to accomodate the double floor with a rear wheel (propshaft) set up. Unfortunately, and despite trying through the normal chanels I have been unable to obtain any technical information about this chassis and I have no idea if it is used on any of the Hymer range.

Among other things it has a totally re-designed rear end incorporating trailing arm independent suspension and a wider than standard track. It appears to be very well engineered and far more sophisticated than the Sprinter leaf spring version although in my opinion it gives a harsher ride than the standard torsion bar Alko chassis on my previous Fiat based Pilote.

It's also worth noting that with Sprinters of the period you are looking at normally come with some kind of automatic ride stabilisation system -AES or something like that - so its worth checking that your prospective purchase does have that fitted.

Finally get the chassis number and ask a Merc Dealer to check its year of manufacture on their data base. The year of the registration plate may be several years later! That need not be a deal breaker but you needed to know what you're buying.

Overall I'm delighted with the Frankia, its rear wheel drive and the Merc power plant but I'd prefer the ride characteristics of the 2003 Pilote/Alko. What you'll soon learn in the motorhoming world however is you can't have it all.

V

Archived