Tax Disc New Rules

johnnerontheroad

Hi Dave,

ta for this.

Whilst on our recent trip to France in the Loire, I noticed my Tax Disc missing as the holder had dropped off the windscreen, presumably the recent very hot spell there. The disc however fell down behind the facia of the van[i assume] .I telephoned Swansea and was told I needed to apply for a new one by form in person when I got home but was not supposed to drive the vehicle without a disc--catch 22.

Anyway I drove right through France, through Customs and Immigration to a site in Dover and the next day right up to Liverpool where I obtained a duplicate the following day.

Would have thought in such circumstances the DVLA could give you a reference number which allowed a period of grace to give you time to sort things out.

moan over

cheers

derek

johnnerontheroad - 2013-08-03 9:30 AM

I think you will find that the police or customs would not of pulled you as they use number plate recognition and it would show that you are taxed. I don't think the French would care if you were taxed or not

Dave

I'm sure you are right about the French authorities and UK border control people not caring if vehicle does not display a current tax-disk, but it is a requirement in the UK to display a disk (even if the vehicle is taxed) and one can be fined for failing to do so.

I recall, in 1970 in London, being stopped by vigilant police who had noticed that the tax-disk on my car looked odd. The reason it looked strange was that (rather like derek's case), it had fallen off the windscreen and dropped into the door opening. By the time I'd noticed, opening and shutting the door had reduced the disk to fragments. I'd carefully stuck the remaining bits back together, but about 50% of the disk was still missing. The police demanded identification, but I wasn't carrying anything conclusive with me. Eventually, they decided that as the car I was driving was pretty unusual (a Turner) and "Turner" could be deduced from the tax-disk and I clearly knew all about the car (and I was suitably humble and apologetic) they'd let me off as long as I promised to get a replacement disk.

I think you will find that the police or customs would not of pulled you as they use number plate recognition and it would show that you are taxed. I don't think the French would care if you were taxed or not

Dave

Correct Dave.

I've always felt the tax disc is a rather old fashioned British peculiarity that needs getting rid of altogether and the tax collected in some other form. Other countries simply put the tax on fuel so the more miles you drive, the more tax you pay. Only problem is if the UK introduced this method i've no doubt it would be a very substantial amount per litre!

I don't see whats exactly 'new' about this 14 day rule as some years ago the tax on my car had over-run by a week and was stopped at a Police roadside check. I genuinely hadn't noticed but this Police Officer said "no problem as long as you get it taxed within the next week......". Maybe I was just lucky and had a decent guy who was having a nice day!

But I have found that the DVLA and the Police do sometimes interpret things differently; eg, regarding the photo id licence I had stolen, I was told by the Police it had to be renewed, yet the DVLA told me it wasn't necessary as I still had my paper licence.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-08-03 9:47 AM

Dave

I'm sure you are right about the French authorities and UK border control people not caring if vehicle does not display a current tax-disk, but it is a requirement in the UK to display a disk (even if the vehicle is taxed) and one can be fined for failing to do so.

I recall, in 1970 in London, being stopped by vigilant police who had noticed that the tax-disk on my car looked odd. The reason it looked strange was that (rather like derek's case), it had fallen off the windscreen and dropped into the door opening. By the time I'd noticed, opening and shutting the door had reduced the disk to fragments. I'd carefully stuck the remaining bits back together, but about 50% of the disk was still missing. The police demanded identification, but I wasn't carrying anything conclusive with me. Eventually, they decided that as the car I was driving was pretty unusual (a Turner) and "Turner" could be deduced from the tax-disk and I clearly knew all about the car (and I was suitably humble and apologetic) they'd let me off as long as I promised to get a replacement disk.

Please Derek, disc not the american "disk" The next thing, God forbid, is you'll be using program instead of programme, then the world may come to an end! and it'll be your fault.

starvin marvin - 2013-08-03 2:10 PM

Please Derek, disc not the american "disk" The next thing, God forbid, is you'll be using program instead of programme, then the world may come to an end! and it'll be your fault.

I was a computer programmer for a good few years, so I don't have any problem discriminating between "program" and "programme".

I usually write "disK" rather than "disC", unless I'm referring to computer storage when I'll try to follow the appropriate convention. I suppose "disC"should be the only spelling, given the word's Latin roots, but this Wikipedia entry suggests that the word was spelled with a "k" when it first entered the English language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_of_disc

Anyway, I like "disK", and I certainly don't care how I spell the word on a forum where it seems to be acceptable practice to treat "motorhome" as a verb!

Derek Uzzell - 2013-08-04 8:14 AM

starvin marvin - 2013-08-03 2:10 PM

I was a computer programmer for a good few years, so I don't have any problem discriminating between "program" and "programme".

I usually write "disK" rather than "disC", unless I'm referring to computer storage when I'll try to follow the appropriate convention. I suppose "disC"should be the only spelling, given the word's Latin roots, but this Wikipedia entry suggests that the word was spelled with a "k" when it first entered the English language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_of_disc

Anyway, I like "disK", and I certainly don't care how I spell the word on a forum where it seems to be acceptable practice to treat "motorhome" as a verb!

English lesson for the day! :D :D

I also notice how some forums simply don't recognise the English spelling of certain words despite the keyboard being set to "English European" and not US. The Yanks invade everywhere!

Bulletguy - 2013-08-03 10:48 AM

I don't see whats exactly 'new' about this 14 day rule as some years ago the tax on my car had over-run by a week and was stopped at a Police roadside check. I genuinely hadn't noticed but this Police Officer said "no problem as long as you get it taxed within the next week......". Maybe I was just lucky and had a decent guy who was having a nice day!

It always was 14 days until they reduced it to 5 a few years ago. When I was young we used to send off for a tax disc and put a note in the tax disc holder "Tax in Post".

It's not too much of a problem these days due to the data bases they know you have paid, but technically you could still get a ticket for not displaying a disc, I believe it is a civil fence so they probably wouldn't follow it up.

lennyhb - 2013-08-04 10:02 AM

It always was 14 days until they reduced it to 5 a few years ago. When I was young we used to send off for a tax disc and put a note in the tax disc holder "Tax in Post".

It's not too much of a problem these days due to the data bases they know you have paid, but technically you could still get a ticket for not displaying a disc, I believe it is a civil fence so they probably wouldn't follow it up.

Yes it is civil offense that’s why a police officer can not issue a summons.

They have to report you to the DVLA.

Every month in the first week you can guarantee in and around my home town to see cars clamped and often towed away.

I have a neighbor that sell cars and often parks them in the streets around us. I counted 6 yesterday with out any tax discs on. They have all been reported to the Police but no action taken. But I know one of our young neighbors has reported all 6 to the DVLA. I will be watching out for the clamping van early tomorrow.

Dave

Correct Dave.

I've always felt the tax disc is a rather old fashioned British peculiarity that needs getting rid of altogether and the tax collected in some other form. Other countries simply put the tax on fuel so the more miles you drive, the more tax you pay.

We already pay a massive amount of tax on fuel and if drive long distances you buy more fuel and pay more tax don't give the government the idea we should pay more on petrol as they don't use the money on the roads but on high speed trains to be up with the Joneses . John >:-) >:-) ;-)

Archived