Deadlocks

Geoff Bell

hi geoff i had mine supplied & fitted by essanjay motorhomes, poole. both cab doors and the 'caravan' door. they also fitted a removable steering wheel. i am a registered tech thickie so am no help about fitting them. recommended - yes because they can't break a cab window and open the door. i'm well aware that these locks don't make the van thief proof but they do stop the lower level of thief. mike

Lets face it smifee nothing would make it thiefproof but its all about making life as difficult as possible. I think they are a good idea. Have you any info such as a make so I can do a bit of research. Had a poor response from the forum so I need a lead. I will then post some details for all too see.

hi geoff they are heo safe on the cab doors & abus on the van door. have a look on essanjay.co.uk i put the 'thiefproof' bit in because usually when i post about security some smartass tells me that 'if they want it they'll have it'. mike

Hello Geoff, There are Deadlocks which operate on the door locks to disable the interior door handles and Deadbolts which operate from either the door into the frame or vice versa. Deadbolts give better security and if fitted correctly are shielded against exterior access. Dave Newell fitted my Deadbolts which can be activated from within the van and bolt all doors in a single action except one which can be operated separately (for safety when in the van). These also act as a good anti-hijacking system. I am sure that Dave can supply all the details to you. Tel 07891 441883 E-mail dave@davenewell.co.uk. I have a sticker on each door saying "This vehicle is protected by Alarm Systems and Deadbolts on all doors". It is not wise to specify the type of alarm(s) fitted. Why make thieves jobs easier by telling them which type of alarm they have to overcome. Regards, Mike.

Hi All, When we had an attempted break in last September at Arromanches Aire in the town centre, 0230 in the morning, the central locking was activated from outside the camper. We had/have stick on notices on all windows and lockers in four languages, the camper was parked in flooodlight conditions and they still went ahead with the break in. I asked the police why they thought the thieves took no notice - they reckon the perpertrators not only couldn't read but didn't know their fathers!! That particular evening I had trouble with the underbonnet alarm system so didn't set it (was giving false alarms, later found bad earth), although I had the habitation alarm on, which would have activated had they actually opened the cab door/doors after unlocking it. Had the underbonnet alarm been set I don't think they would have attempted a break in, as this alarm has a flashing LED fitted in the dashboard shelf just in front of the windshield, which I believe would have given them second thoughts about breaking in. You can buy leds from maplins that will flash by just applying 12 volts to their leads, no complicated circuitry to install, just a pair of wires and a switch and you could light up your camper like a xmas tree!. Another device which is passively active (if there is such an animal), is a self powered small box which when switched on gives a click every 10 seconds (something like a smoke detector with a run down battery) and can be heard outside the camper, when parked up and empty. One could experiment with the smoke detector already installed in the camper, powering it with a 1.5 volt or greater battery until you get the desired beep effect. Regards Terry

Hi Geoff and everyone, my deadbolt system does away with the need for tying doors together by operating a 14mm dia brass pin into the "B" post of the door frame. Operated from a hidden switch inside the cab means that even breaking a window doesn't allow the thief to open the doors. D.

Guest starspirit
I am not convinced that a hidden system will stop anyone trying to break in - after all what is there to deter them from trying - we know that notices and signs don't seem to deter? I tend to favour an 'obvious to all looking in through the window solution' which is to fit a locking turnbuckle alongside and turning to cover the rising door locking button to prevent it from rising. Another similar device on the door frame, if you want belt and braces, would prevent the door opening even if the first one is overcome. Unless of course someone with superior knowledge to mine knows why this would not work? Cheap and simple - jus' like me!

[QUOTE]Geoff Beasley - 2006-08-14 9:04 PM That sounds good Dave, where did you get it from and did you fit yourself? *-) G[/QUOTE] It's a system I sorted out myself when a customer asked for deadlocks. I do it on a supply and fit only basis not for DIY fit. Check my website www.davenewell.co.uk for more information. Starspirit, I take your point that the deadbolts won't stop the attempt but they will stop the doors being opened without a big crowbar and lots of noise. I always recomend some visible deterrent as well. I'm looking into getting some self adhesive labels made for windows to go with the deadbolts. D.

Straps or chains to fasten cab doors together are of limited benifit because the door handles are only attached to the doors by a couple of self tappers into plastic fixings. Once the door lock is overcome (easy to a practised toerag) a good hard pull on the door would almost certainly separate the handle from the door. Alternatively with straps, smashing the window allows the strap to be cut easily. D.

Guest starspirit
Dave, will you get your stickers made up in Arabic, Swahili, Russian, Mandarin and whatever other lingo Algerian and Morrocan illiterates speak (but more likely can't read or write)?

Hi Richard, No I'll just be getting them done in English to keep costs sensible. If customers want multi lingual signs I'm afraid they'll need to arrange that themselves. I would have thought that, even if they can't read it, any sticker in the cab windows would make them wary of alarms etc. D.

[QUOTE]Pat P - 2006-08-15 7:30 PM What you need Dave is a universally recognised symbol that is easily recognised by the illiterate toerags. >:-( Pat[/QUOTE] sorry to disagree Pat but that's what the customer needs not me! Any suggestions for a "universally recognised symbol"? If there is such a thing it would certainly be cheaper than multi ligual stickers. D.

Archived