Jump to content

French Calor gas equivalent


Recommended Posts

I feel a bit of a cheat as we don't own a motorhome, but I've been struggling to get an answer to my query and you guys seem very knowledgeable.


We have a portable De Longhi heater in France that used blue 15kg Calor butane gas bottles. There is a Calor regulator on the heater, which says compact 182H, and it states outlet pressure 28mbar, max inlet 6 bar. I'm having no luck trying to find if there is a French equivalent to the Calor canisters, which are now empty .


Can anyone advise what - if any - canisters we can get in France, or do I need to send pictures of my regulator?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't worry about not being a motorhomer Maggie - welcome to the madhouse and just think of the money you save by not being 'one of us'!


Is your regulator fixed to the heater or is it on the end of a flexible hose that fixes to the gas bottle?


If it is attached to a flexible hose it should be easy enough to remove it and replace it with a French regulator?


I don't know anything about French gas bottles other than there are several types but I don't know if the regulators are bottle specific or interchangeable - but someone will probably be along soon who does!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Butane cylinders of equivalent size are commonly available in France, usually in "proper" rural hardware stores (the ones that sell cheese safes and rat-traps etc! :-)), or supermarkets.


If, as Rich (tracker) suggests, your regulator is attached to the heater with a high pressure flexible hose that attaches direct to the cylinder, you will need to replace the hose with one to fit a French cylinder and the existing regulator. On the other hand, if the regulator attaches to the cylinder and feeds the heater via a low pressure flexible hose, the easiest remedy will probably be to replace the regulator and hose with French ones.


If you have a hardware store nearby, remove the lot from the heater, take it to the store, and explain what you need to do. Some of the French suppliers have their own "clip on" regulators, equivalents of most of which can be obtained from supermarkets. However, to be sure of getting the right one you'll need to have decided first whose gas you will be using. Other regulators merely screw onto the cylinder.


It is possible to get adaptor pieces to connect UK hose terminations to French cylinders, but these are not widely available in France. If you want to explore this route, try the Gaslow website.


You will find there are quite a number of providers of exchange cylinders in France, none of whom will accept your UK Calor cylinder as an exchange. My suggestion, therefore, would be to get whatever is most commonly available locally to where you are (I assume your accommodation is not mobile?), and get a 28mbar regulator + hose to suit that. Then bring the empty Calors back to UK, and return them for whatever credit is left on your agreement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Hi, agree generally with what has been said, cut off your old regulator which is Calor specific, chose what size of cylinder you want, the 13Kg 'traditional' steel cylinders all take the same screw on 28mB regulator. The smaller and lighter plasticcy Cylinders are both more expensive per Kg of Gaz, less generally available and each needs its own clip on regulator. Wait until your supermarché has an offre spécial on the Consigne ie the deposit on the bottle or be prepared to pay about 25€ for the bottle and 29€ for 13Kg of Butagaz  which is about the most widely available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Compact 182H regulator attaches to Calor 7kg and 15kg Calor butane bottles (and, I believe, to Flogas butane cylinders) that employ a 21mm-diameter 'clip-on' connector.


Although a clip-on connector is used on a number of French gas containers, those connectors’ diameter will be either 20mm or 27mm depending on the make/model of container.


In France over the past few years there has been a move away from their traditional 13kg steel gas-bottle towards smaller-capacity (hence lighter) containers. Supermarkets have begun to offer own-brand 10kg steel bottles, and a number of ‘see through’ composite bottles (“Viseo” and “Calypso”) have been marketed offering lightness and the ability to know the amount of gas remaining in the bottle. More recently, Totalgaz has introduced a novel ‘wheeled luggage’ container called “Shesha” as shown here:




As Retread24800 highlights, because of intense competition in the French gas exchange-bottle market there are regular special offers to encourage people to switch brands and/or swap their traditional large steel bottles for smaller ones. Such offers will often ask a very small hire deposit (“consignation”) – I’ve seen deposits as low as €1 – and, when a clip-on regulator is required, will usually include the appropriate regulator as part of the deal and at no cost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The regulator fits directly onto the gas bottle and then the gas is fed out by a flexible hose, so I guess your suggestion of just buying a total replacement looks the best option.


Thanks for your help - you've probably saved us having to buy a new heater!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your Compact 182H regulator has an integrated ribbed union on to which the flexible gas-hose is pushed, secured to the union by a clip.


It’s commonplace in France for ‘on-bottle’ gas regulators to have a separate ribbed union that screws on to the regulator. Sometimes the regulator is sold with the union attached; sometimes it is sold without the union.


There’s an example here of a kit that includes a regulator, flexible hose and securing clips




and you’ll see the separate ribbed union (tétine) that screws on to the regulator’s threaded outlet.


Having the tétine separate allows the regulator to be attached either to a flexible gas-hose with a threaded inlet connection (tétine not then fitted to regulator) or to a flexible hose using the clip method (tétine needs to be fitted to regulator).


The regulator in the e-bay advert is intended to attach to a French gas-bottle that has a traditional French threaded outlet connector (the same outlet connector as used on a UK Calor 4.5kg butane canister). Regulators for French gas-bottles having a clip-on outlet connector will have a different design. For example, these clip-on regulators are for “Twiny” bottles and you’ll note that there’s no tétine.




However, it is possible to purchase the tétine as an individual item.


If your De Longhi heater is elderly, it may be worth considering replacing its flexible hose as well as obtaining a regulator appropriate to whichever French gas-bottle you choose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...