Travel and health insurance for over 65s

Suda

"We are both over 65 and use "Insure and Go" - competitive rates, long-term cover (trips up to 90 days as standard) and they cover a wide range of pre-existing conditions. Certainly worth a look.

Edited by John 47 2013-08-02 5:42 PM"

Had a quick look and trip duration in policy wording details did not include 90 days for over 65. Interesting if you can confirm.

Had a look at SAGA and they came up with 90 days for just under £300.00 with medical conditions but will keep looking.

sshortcircuit - 2013-08-02 9:22 PM

"We are both over 65 and use "Insure and Go" - competitive rates, long-term cover (trips up to 90 days as standard) and they cover a wide range of pre-existing conditions. Certainly worth a look.

Edited by John 47 2013-08-02 5:42 PM"

Had a quick look and trip duration in policy wording details did not include 90 days for over 65. Interesting if you can confirm.

Had a look at SAGA and they came up with 90 days for just under £300.00 with medical conditions but will keep looking.

I am with Insure and Go and can confirm the 90 days in my present annual cover ceases to have effect when I reach 66. I have spoken to the insurers and they told me that in certain circumstances they can waive this condition for an increased premium. They also charge extra if you take statins. I think I shall look elsewhere when my present policy expires.

Suda, may I suggest that you enquire re :-

Join Lloyds/TSB and get a Gold current account, it will cost you £12/month and you get basic AA plus other gains. BUT the important one is World wide insurance until you are 80, or as long as you hold the account. This is for up to 30 days away but for 60 days a small extra premium of around £30 is payable.

Lots of pre-existing conditions covered. You just go away as many times as you like up to the 30/60 or longer, no need to tell them each time you just go - Simples. Just pop into a branch and ask for the leaflet.

Hope this helps someone and by the way - No connection with the bank other than being a customer and enjoying the benefits. Probably other banks have something similar, but none (to my knowledge) up to 80 years old with no extra premiums payable.

Mike

sshortcircuit - 2013-08-02 8:22 PM

Yes, can confirm that the cover is for 90 days per trip for what the company calls "seniors" - ie us old fogies! There are grades of cover - we have the Gold cover at £272 for a year for two seniors, up to 90 days per trip and with Jenny's two pre-existing conditions. Admittedly this is slightly more expensive than it used to be when we were "juniors" but the prices are still very competitive - especially if you take the cheaper silver or bronze packages - and cheaper than the SAGA price you quote (I have a thing about SAGA - they have always been more expensive for every policy I have ever wanted!).

John 47 - 2013-08-03 11:18 AM

Yes, can confirm that the cover is for 90 days per trip for what the company calls "seniors" - ie us old fogies! There are grades of cover - we have the Gold cover at £272 for a year for two seniors, up to 90 days per trip and with Jenny's two pre-existing conditions. Admittedly this is slightly more expensive than it used to be when we were "juniors" but the prices are still very competitive - especially if you take the cheaper silver or bronze packages - and cheaper than the SAGA price you quote (I have a thing about SAGA - they have always been more expensive for every policy I have ever wanted!).

I am impressed however when I look into the key facts for Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum, I get "Under the Gold or Platinum cover options the maximum length of a single trip is increased to 90 days if you are aged under 66." Where are you getting info from?

Price was good but I would need to add medical conditions

mike 202 - 2013-08-03 10:29 AM

Join Lloyds/TSB and get a Gold current account, it will cost you £12/month and you get basic AA plus other gains. BUT the important one is World wide insurance until you are 80, or as long as you hold the account. This is for up to 30 days away but for 60 days a small extra premium of around £30 is payable.

Lots of pre-existing conditions covered. You just go away as many times as you like up to the 30/60 or longer, no need to tell them each time you just go - Simples. Just pop into a branch and ask for the leaflet.

Platinum account gives 45 days cover & includes winter sports cover (limited to age 65 if inexperienced).

John 47 - 2013-08-02 6:41 PM

We are both over 65 and use "Insure and Go" - competitive rates, long-term cover (trips up to 90 days as standard) and they cover a wide range of pre-existing conditions. Certainly worth a look.

John. You should check again. I have been specifically told that when you reach 66 cover is only for 31 days. This is backed up by the Terms and Conditions of the policy. See below:

Please see the table below to see the maximum trip lengths for our travel insurance policies:

Policies

Budget Single Trips

Budget Annual Multi Trips

Silver, Gold and Black Single Trips

Bronze and Silver Annual Multi Trips

Gold, Platinum and Black Annual Multi Trips

Bronze, Silver, Gold and Black Backpackers (max age up to and including 65)

Maximum trip length

365 days

31 days per trip

365 days per trip

45 days per trip (31 days if aged 66 or over)

90 days per trip (31 days if aged 66 or over)

18 months

Please note: if you are aged over 65, we can only insure you for a maximum of 31 days on both Single Trips and Annual Multi Trips.

sshortcircuit - 2013-08-03 11:29 AM

I am impressed however when I look into the key facts for Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum, I get "Under the Gold or Platinum cover options the maximum length of a single trip is increased to 90 days if you are aged under 66." Where are you getting info from?

Info from my policy. :-D

Insure and Go state:

"Please note: if you are aged over 65, we can only insure you for a maximum of 31 days on both Single Trips and Annual Multi Trips."

I keep repeating this so as some unsuspecting person takes out a policy that is unsuitable for their needs.

John 47 - 2013-08-03 11:48 AM

sshortcircuit - 2013-08-03 11:29 AM

Info from my policy. :-D

So it looks like your policy is specific to you and not generally available to the public.

Despite the wording on my policy, I was made to think by some posts on here, so I contacted "Insure and Go" just to make sure. They DO offer 90 day cover for over 65s and I am covered. The price is higher than for under 65s (but I imagine that is probably true of all insurers) so in view of the figures quoted above, it would be well worth you contacting them.

Thanks for that info John. Insure and Go have left me a message to say they will be in contact.

My cover renewal is in November so have a bit of time. What I have noted is that the 90 days cover, with all the companies I have looked at, starts from when you leave home. I will be in Spain in November so if I change companies will need to find out how to overcome that and also why.

sshortcircuit - 2013-08-03 2:39 PM

Thanks for that info John. Insure and Go have left me a message to say they will be in contact.

My cover renewal is in November so have a bit of time. What I have noted is that the 90 days cover, with all the companies I have looked at, starts from when you leave home. I will be in Spain in November so if I change companies will need to find out how to overcome that and also why.

Good luck - hope you manage to sort it out. :-D

I think you will find all new policies start and end in the UK some ask that you have a return ticket before you leave the UK.

Good luck

Dave

johnnerontheroad - 2013-08-03 5:48 PM

I think you will find all new policies start and end in the UK some ask that you have a return ticket before you leave the UK.

Good luck

Dave

I do appreciate that, but why?

Guest 1footinthegrave
sshortcircuit - 2013-08-03 6:44 PM

Good luck

Dave

Another mystery of life, I've thought of a cheap return flight before now back to the UK, and just for the day :D

For the OP we use this company as they cover for longer stays, they covered us for a quarter of the price of others, me and the missus ( 68 / 65 ) , both of us falling apart so a few declared issues, but how good they'd be in a claim situation is anyone's guess though, and we buy a single trip policy even though we hit Europe at least twice or three times a year for longish trips, I must look into the multi option I guess ;-)

http://www.oktotravelinsurance.co.uk/index.aspx?CID=14-8FFF4EF32E96010CB547946AF241F5C1&gclid=CM-964Oz5bgCFfMdtAod_EoAWw

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-05 5:53 AM

Good luck

Dave

Another mystery of life, I've thought of a cheap return flight before now back to the UK, and just for the day :D

For the OP we use this company as they cover for longer stays, they covered us for a quarter of the price of others, me and the missus ( 68 / 65 ) , both of us falling apart so a few declared issues, but how good they'd be in a claim situation is anyone's guess though, and we buy a single trip policy even though we hit Europe at least twice or three times a year for longish trips, I must look into the multi option I guess ;-)

http://www.oktotravelinsurance.co.uk/index.aspx?CID=14-8FFF4EF32E96010CB547946AF241F5C1&gclid=CM-964Oz5bgCFfMdtAod_EoAWw

I've just tried an online quote for an annual worldwide policy and the price came out at over £100 more than Insure and Go.

I am 73 with 'pre-existing medical conditions' and my wife is coming up to 70. We have just insured with Staysure for the first time as they now do a single trip cover for up to 110 days rather than 90.

We paid just over £300, which is cheaper than last year's insurers. How they compare with other insurers this year, I do know but those extra 20 days gives us a bit more scope in planning next winter's Spanish trip.

John

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mike88 - 2013-08-05 8:29 AM

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-05 5:53 AM

Good luck

Dave

I've just tried an online quote for an annual worldwide policy and the price came out at over £100 more than Insure and Go.

Blimey I am losing it,

just dug out my paperwork and I actually use AllClear Insurance Services they were the cheapest ( but how good I do not know ) :$

Hi,

Try LV (Liverpool Victoria) the Premium policy covers up to 90 days per trip on the annual policy and up

to 79 years of age. I have recently paid approx. £150 with a minor existing medical condition.

If you find better I would be interested !

Rod.

Archived