Help please, with plastic door "slider"

betsy

Although my vehicle is a Burstner (Solano) many other manufacturers must employ the same door retaining system.

My 3 year old vehicle's habitation door uses a swinging aluminium arm that is screwed into the top of the frame. The arm has a peg on it's outer end that fits into a clear plastic/polyurethane slider that moves to and fro in the door's aluminium channeling (this channeling also carries the rubber sealing strip).

The slider itself has split (must be a very common problem) and I have now discovered that to replace it cost about 40 quid!! Whilst the slider itself cannot be more than a few pence, the agents only sell the whole thing - arm, retaining screw and.....slider.

Over the past few days I have scoured the internet but, for the life of me, cannot find anything similar.

Help please........

Any chance you'll be visiting Alsace in the near future? The Burstner factory is in Kehl, which is the opposite side of the Rhine from Strasbourg, and has an excellent reputation for its customer service department. Not sure if it works during August, but if you get onto the Burstner website and drop them an e-mail you will soon find out one way or the other. Alternatively, try contacting Burstner UK. Ian Knowles is, I believe, still their main man, and has good contacts at the factory.

Thanks for the replies on this one. I am afraid that my computer skills are such that I am unable to even start thinking about how to go about uploading a picture.

Over the weekend I have been experimenting with various home-made "sliders" and today I have found a 99p solution!

During a visit to Wilkinsons yesterday morning in their curtain track section I found a pair of stick-on fittings used to hang the plastic coated spring wire used for net curtains. These fittings have a small steel rod (about 1/2" long) coming out of one side of a raised section at one end - which was easily removed with pliers. That was followed by a bit of filing of the flat rectangular base to fit the track and the drilling of a suitable hole in the centre of the raised section. Hey, presto a replacement door slider that is working beautifully.

To top it off there were two of the fittings in the pack, so not only have I saved 40 quid but I also have a spare slider!

Will still get in touch with Burstner, after the factory return from its summer break.

Thanks again everyone.

betsy - 2013-08-06 11:14 AMThanks for the replies on this one. I am afraid that my computer skills are such that I am unable to even start thinking about how to go about uploading a picture. Over the weekend I have been experimenting with various home-made "sliders" and today I have found a 99p solution!During a visit to Wilkinsons yesterday morning in their curtain track section I found a pair of stick-on fittings used to hang the plastic coated spring wire used for net curtains. These fittings have a small steel rod (about 1/2" long) coming out of one side of a raised section at one end - which was easily removed with pliers. That was followed by a bit of filing of the flat rectangular base to fit the track and the drilling of a suitable hole in the centre of the raised section. Hey, presto a replacement door slider that is working beautifully. To top it off there were two of the fittings in the pack, so not only have I saved 40 quid but I also have a spare slider!Will still get in touch with Burstner, after the factory return from its summer break.Thanks again everyone.

Congrats and well done Betsy.....you should be a 'Marine'....adapt and overcome...  :-)

Archived