Cracked motorhome plastic windows through heat ??

Merlin1

Hi all,

I'm writing on behalf of a family member. They own an Auto Trail Scout which was manufactured in late 2006 and registered in early 2007.

On inspecting the vehicle today, we have noticed large cracks in two of the three o/s motorcaravan windows and also in the back window. The side windows all have cracks in each top corner, the back window is cracked along the base where the opening leaver is. We can only think that this has been caused by heat build up in the van with the recent hot weather. Fair enough it's been hot, but I've never heard of this occurring before. Could this be due to a manufacturing issue with the plastic ? The vehicle has been aboard a number of times where the weather has been hotter and it's never been an issue. I would assume they should be able to withstand a certain heat otherwise motorhome manufacturers would have lots of very unhappy customers, especially in Europe.

The windows appear to be made by Dometic / Seitz. Two of the windows have a Seitz sticker, one has Dometic.

Obviously, although the van is 7 years old now, we feel we need to report this issue to someone in the hope that the damage could be repaired or windows replaced as surely, something like that should last a bit longer ! Would be best to contact Auto Trail or the window manufacturer ?

Not heard of this before, obviously way out of warranty so good luck with that.

Personally i would contact the window manufacturers see what they have to say.

Just a thought i wonder if some cleaning product has been used that reacted some how with the plastic ?

Thanks for the reply.

Autoglym products are used for the coachwork but the actual polish has never been used on the windows. We're convinced it's a temperature issue; the van is kept at a storage site when not in use, there used to be a caravan parked closely next to the right side which perhaps offered shade to that side, that disappeared some months back so that side and back is in strong sun most of the day and it's only the windows on that side and back which are affected.

Thing is, it has been hot lately but then places like Italy have longer periods of heat than we do. It's a new one on me !

It might help if you ring Auto-trail to get some advice and give them the Build Number. I could accept maybe one failure but not so many at the same time. The windows you mention have plastic frames and the side walls were laminated with aluminium then changed to aluminium frames and the side walls were then laminated with composites which is the present specification. There have been known problems with plastic outer framed windows cracking and that is the reason for changing to aluminium. The only problem that the latest windows have suffered from has been leaking rubber seals which can be replaced with an up rated design. They are called Polyplastic and are manufactured in Holland.

One other more remote possibility springs to mind and that is attempted burglary. Take a hard look for any tell tell marks around the lower edges where a possibly wide lever might have been used. The plastic is very brittle as I know to my cost having had to replace three on my current fifteen year old 'van.

. In my case I believe the basic problem is that the window aperature is somewhat distorted resulting in the widow being twisted as it is pulled up against the sealant. Hopefully by using a very thick layer of sealant and gradually pulling the window into position the excess sealant has had time to squeeeze out evenly loading the glazing.

Could it be that the van hasn't been checked for a while whilst in storage ?

It could be that the extreme COLD weather earlier in the year may have stressed the plastic, then combining with further stresses caused by the hot weather.

Being plastic, they do eventually suffer from ultra-violet degradation, which leaves them brittle. However, I would not have expected that to result in cracking quite so soon.

It may be worth "googling" cracked caravan windows, or similar, to see if there are other reports of failure such as you describe. May give an idea of incidence.

I suppose there might be a duff batch of windows. If you know the year and can get the details off the windows that are affected, it might be worth asking AT and Dometic if they are aware of this and, if they are, I suppose they may admit it, and even offer to do something about it! Must be at least worth asking - though possibly a bad time of year to get speedy replies. Do I sound cynical? Sad, isn't it?

Failing that, I suspect it will have to be a case of finding the cheapest source for replacements. Unlikely to be cheap, unfortunately! :-(

Guest 1footinthegrave
Although of no help to the OP, I'm sure I've read that all windows should not be left with blinds shut for any length of time in very hot conditions, as the heat has less chance of dissipating. But I to wonder about the possibility apart from that of an attempted break in.

This is slightly off topic but relates to plastic windows. I have a new Autocruise Rythym Sport van conversion ,whilst on holiday in Cornwall in July we were involved in a hit and run in a narrow lane ,our rear side window was broken and rear end damage to van panels. We cut short our holiday because van was not secure because of broken window.I took it too our repairer on 23 of July and repairs where started and new window from Swift ordered .You can imagine our horror when after two phone calls to Swift we are told delivery of new window will be early Sepember at the earliest! They are on 3 week holiday shutdown and do not carry spares!.

What a way to do business. I was self employed and if I closed shop for 3 weeks I wouldn't,t have a business to come back to.

And will I buy Swift again? No I will not! :-(

Guest 1footinthegrave
auntyjanet1 - 2013-08-08 9:03 PM

This is slightly off topic but relates to plastic windows. I have a new Autocruise Rythym Sport van conversion ,whilst on holiday in Cornwall in July we were involved in a hit and run in a narrow lane ,our rear side window was broken and rear end damage to van panels. We cut short our holiday because van was not secure because of broken window.I took it too our repairer on 23 of July and repairs where started and new window from Swift ordered .You can imagine our horror when after two phone calls to Swift we are told delivery of new window will be early Sepember at the earliest! They are on 3 week holiday shutdown and do not carry spares!.

What a way to do business. I was self employed and if I closed shop for 3 weeks I wouldn't,t have a business to come back to.

I may be wrong, but I would have thought your repairer could source a window quite easily, there should be no need to go through Swift they will only be buying them in themselves, I'd get back to your repairer and ask them to do that very thing ASAP>

Why not give these folk a bell to see if they have them, or could point you in the right direction.

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/seitz-windows--replacement-glass-24-c.asp

We are awaiting a new side window replacement on our new Autocruise and have been since we first discovered an oily line between the plastic, probably about the beginning of May, Swift O.K d the repair but the supplier is in Holland! I suppose holidays do account for the delay but it wasnt until we returned from our hols in July that the dealer asked us for some information off the window,so I suppose its only a matter of four weeks since the order has been put in :-S patience is certainly needed when awaiting spares for motorhomes.

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-09 6:53 AM

And will I buy Swift again? No I will not! :-([/quote

I may be wrong, but I would have thought your repairer could source a window quite easily, there should be no need to go through Swift they will only be buying them in themselves, I'd get back to your repairer and ask them to do that very thing ASAP>

Why not give these folk a bell to see if they have them, or could point you in the right direction.

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/seitz-windows--replacement-glass-24-c.asp

Sorry onefootinthegrave,been away on hols (hotel!) My repairer tried Myriad Windows and a couple of others,but no one stocks these Polyamide windows which are made in Holland.I have also googled every Motorhome spares supplier including O,learns but with no luck so stuck with no van until Swift pull their finger out. :'(

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated :-D

I can confirm that the blinds are always kept closed while the vehicle is in storage; also, there is definitely no evidence of an attempted break in, no marks around the windows plus having checked again, the cracks are not through damage.

We sent an email off to Auto Trail last Monday. Nobody has replied so further emails have been sent to them. All details were mentioned such as year, model, build number and the window numbers were quoted so hopefully they will reply soon.

Will let you know here....

Hopefully you will get a reply soon :-) Marquis rang us yesterday to tell us our window is in and we are going to have it fitted Thursday it has taken about three months since we told them about the fault, they have been very helpful taking photographs for Swift and they have kept us in the loop so we didnt think they had forgotten us, these things seem to take time when there are so many people involved and they have to come from a factory abroad.

maggyd - 2013-08-16 10:10 PM

Hopefully you will get a reply soon :-) Marquis rang us yesterday to tell us our window is in and we are going to have it fitted Thursday it has taken about three months since we told them about the fault, they have been very helpful taking photographs for Swift and they have kept us in the loop so we didnt think they had forgotten us, these things seem to take time when there are so many people involved and they have to come from a factory abroad.

Well Swift must have got their act together because we had our window (delivery expected mid Sept) delivered and fitted yesterday,so we have our van back ,we have to return the van to the repairers next month for them to fit the black decal which fits behind window and stretches from rear of van to drivers door.this was expected mid Aug but delivery now expected mid Sept.

Well you can't win them all ,very grateful to have van back!

Anyone in South Wales area looking for a good motorhome /caravan repairer try Automaster in Pontyclun.

auntyjanet1 - 2013-08-17 9:55 PM

maggyd - 2013-08-16 10:10 PM

Well Swift must have got their act together because we had our window (delivery expected mid Sept) delivered and fitted yesterday,so we have our van back ,we have to return the van to the repairers next month for them to fit the black decal which fits behind window and stretches from rear of van to drivers door.this was expected mid Aug but delivery now expected mid Sept.

Well you can't win them all ,very grateful to have van back!

Anyone in South Wales area looking for a good motorhome /caravan repairer try Automaster in Pontyclun.

Oh Dear *-) we also have decal trouble !! the one that goes across the front bonnet, that is also getting done on Thursday.

There has been a lot of discussion regarding plastic windows over the last few years, but this was mainly a delamination problem and I attach the relevant page from Polyplastic regarding this.

http://www.polyplastic-pass.nl./english/faq.php

Cracking has not to my knowledge ever been an issue but as this has happened in the OP's case on more than 1 window there does appear to be a common reason and possibly a bad batch is just one. However after this length of time it is unlikely he will get redress from the maker I regret to say, unless he is very lucky, but asking does no harm.

One thing I have noticed though is that when the windows are in the full heat of the sun then warping can occur, and this can be exacerbated if the blinds are left down as they reflect the heat back against the window. What we do is when we are in Spain etc is to put shades over the windows or even use a white sheet tucked in around the edges to cut the heat. Of course this also helps keep the van cool but even in the UK the sun can shine directly on to the windows and we did once have a buckled window as a result. The size of the window makes a difference as well.

In the case of the OP I can only suggest if all else fails to try and source replacement windows from one of the 2nd hand dealerships but do take care the shade of the plastic is the same as makers changed this from year to year.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave,

Had a reply from Auto Trail - as expected they said they and the window manufacturers would be unable to assist with replacement due to the vehicle being out of warranty. They said they had spoken to the manufacturer of the windows too but neither they or Dometic / Seitz had heard of this problem before.

We'll ask around at the second hand places as you suggest. Might even be lucky at a show.....had to be three of the biggest ones didn't it :-(

The blinds are kept down so the interior is kept cool (or not so hot !) plus to stop the upholstery fading.....

Merlin1 - 2013-08-29 4:53 PM

Thanks Dave,

Had a reply from Auto Trail - as expected they said they and the window manufacturers would be unable to assist with replacement due to the vehicle being out of warranty. They said they had spoken to the manufacturer of the windows too but neither they or Dometic / Seitz had heard of this problem before.

We'll ask around at the second hand places as you suggest. Might even be lucky at a show.....had to be three of the biggest ones didn't it :-(

The blinds are kept down so the interior is kept cool (or not so hot !) plus to stop the upholstery fading.....

OK, so they said they would not help under warranty but..........will they supply replacements at a cost? Yes, expensive but if you get a proper job done then maybe worth it. There are Company's who will make replacement windows if you supply the old ones as patterns but again watch outt if you have patterns on the edges as these cannot be replaced so easily.]

Archived