Campsite with transport links to Birmingham

Rowan Lee

We did a trip into Brum earlier this year. We too wanted a site near a railway station so we could leave van on site, not in a car park. So to be within walking distance we found only two 'club' sites which fitted the bill - Moreton-in-Marsh which is too far from Brum and Uttoxeter Racecourse CC site which we felt was ideal. Less than 10 minutes walk from station, you have to change at Derby but journey took an hour and a quarter, cost £18 each return. Uttoxeter is also a good centre for touring from, plenty of towns within easy reach plus lots of places of interest in near peak district.

I've just looked at Uttoxeter on the map, but it's a bit far off the route we were hoping to take, as we are travelling from Ludlow to Newcastle upon Tyne via the M42 and M1. But we could always change our minds and go a different way, so many thanks for that idea.

Now this time, I will try to press the button only once!

paulmold - 2013-08-04 5:20 PM

We did a trip into Brum earlier this year. We too wanted a site near a railway station so we could leave van on site, not in a car park. So to be within walking distance we found only two 'club' sites which fitted the bill - Moreton-in-Marsh which is too far from Brum and Uttoxeter Racecourse CC site which we felt was ideal. Less than 10 minutes walk from station, you have to change at Derby but journey took an hour and a quarter, cost £18 each return. Uttoxeter is also a good centre for touring from, plenty of towns within easy reach plus lots of places of interest in near peak district.

I'm surprised that you considered Uttoxeter to be near Birmingham.

Apparently the CCC Kingsbury Water Park site at Sutton Coldfield (which is near the M42) is 1 mile from a bus stop which is en route to Birmingham. This site may be suitable for you, Rowan Lee.

Rowan Lee - 2013-08-04 5:58 PM

I've just looked at Uttoxeter on the map, but it's a bit far off the route we were hoping to take, as we are travelling from Ludlow to Newcastle upon Tyne via the M42 and M1. But we could always change our minds and go a different way, so many thanks for that idea.

Now this time, I will try to press the button only once!

I noticed you lived in Lincolnshire so I just assumed (obviously wrongly) that you would be travelling 'down' and not 'up'. What about Clent Hills C&CC site, train station 4 miles, bus 3/4 mile away. (train station has parking but as station is used as commuter link to the city, it's full early in the day)

What about the CC site on Cannock Chase. Catch a train into Brum from Cannock or even Rugeley both not far from the site. Great walks on the chase plus Lichfield only a few miles away. Site is in a very pleasant quiet spot, you could get to see some of the many deer that roam all over the chase.

paulmold - 2013-08-04 5:20 PM

Chapel Lane CC site is not a Car Park, although the pitches near the 1st toilet block are a bit like one,

Very quiet in the Wythall area, have stayed there on many occasions, our kids live close by. Open all year. Bus stop is now up the lane about 50yards (why, I don't know, because the bus shelter is still just across the road.??) Can get direct into Birmingham centre with no changes. Plus of course Solihull etc.,. Ray

Guest 1footinthegrave
Yes, no brainer, just to reiterate others recommendations, the C.C Chapel lane site, off the top of my head about 7 miles from Brum city centre, getting to the C.C site a doddle with motorway links just down the road,( just avoid the peak times ) and even if the bus directly outside does not have the most frequent of services, your only a short hop from the Maypole which has very frequent buses to the city centre, a taxi could fill in the gap, either on the way there or back. ;-) oh and there's a bus museum right next door.

Another option, and the one we've used, is the C&CC site at Woverley. It's a 10 minute bus ride to Kidderminster then a fast train into Birmingham. The train fare is surprisingly cheap, at least it was when we last used it.

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-05 4:32 AM

Yes, no brainer, just to reiterate others recommendations, the C.C Chapel lane site, off the top of my head about 7 miles from Brum city centre, getting to the C.C site a doddle with motorway links just down the road,( just avoid the peak times ) and even if the bus directly outside does not have the most frequent of services, your only a short hop from the Maypole which has very frequent buses to the city centre, a taxi could fill in the gap, either on the way there or back. ;-) oh and there's a bus museum right next door.

And don't forget the farm shop about 20 mins. walk away.

A note of caution about Chapel Lane.

The last couple of times that we went there, the direct bus into Birmingham doe's not go from outside the site.

You will need to be built for speed and not for comfort to catch the bus, as the bus stop is across a busy road and a very busy road, if any of your party is young or less mobile it is not easy to get across them.

you can go a back way to the bus stop but it means walking down a lane with no path,again not ideal.

Not sure if the Solihull bus which does run from outside the site can connect into a bus/train into citycentre.

If you have a bit of time with a nice day you can walk from the site into the Gas street basin nearly all the way off road, along footpaths and the canal.Most of it is also open to bikes.

HWO

Archived