Tesco Vouchers for Eurotunnel - important changes again!

Mel B

I have just been exchanging some Tesco vouchers which were due to expire shortly for some Tesco Travel (Eurotunnel) vouchers.

I was already aware that instead of posting Travel vouchers which is what they did previously, they now email a Token Code to you, however what I was NOT aware of is the change to how many of the Travel Vouchers/Token Codes you can use.

You can still exchange Tesco Vouchers for a Travel Vouchers in multiples of £5 (3 x face value), but whereas before when you came to actually making your booking with Eurotunnel you could combine several Travel Vouchers to add up to the amount you needed to cover the cost of your Eurotunnel crossing, you CANNOT COMBINE THEM any more as only ONE CODE can be used PER BOOKING. 8-)

In a nutshell:

Previously: You could exchange some Tesco vouchers and get some Travel vouchers, and then get some more to build up to the amount you needed for your crossing.

Now: You can ONLY use ONE TRAVEL TOKEN CODE PER BOOKING, so if you haven't got enough Tesco vouchers to change for Travel tokens in one exchange via the Tesco website, to cover the full cost, you're stuffed and will have to pay the remainder yourself. It also means that you need to be a bit 'psychic' and try to work out what the cost of travel will be if you exchange well in advance of when you will be contacting Eurotunnel to actually make your booking (you still have 6 months to 'spend' the Travel Token when you get the code)!

Details here:

Tesco Eurotunnel Travel changes

I think that makes sense! :D

Whether this change is applicable to any other 'deals' I don't know! :-S

Guest peter
We always build up the Tesco points to enough to cover the tunnel before redeeming them. So it's one transaction/code.

peter - 2013-08-05 11:13 PM

We always build up the Tesco points to enough to cover the tunnel before redeeming them. So it's one transaction/code.

Don't understand why one would do otherwise: seems the simplest approach to me. Surely these is no advantage in changing the points for vouchers piecemeal, is there?

There's been quite a few changes with euro tunnel including an increase in the frequent travellers account from £96 to £108 return for a motorhome , but you can now have a second user on the account which is handy for us as our son lives in Chamonix. I know you ferry users will say the ferry is a lot cheaper which I agree , but as my wife has a hearing balance problem  the tunnel works better for us. Unfortunately we do not have a local Tesco , but voucher s cannot be used against a frequent travellers account. 

Brian Kirby - 2013-08-05 11:28 PM

peter - 2013-08-05 11:13 PM

Don't understand why one would do otherwise: seems the simplest approach to me. Surely these is no advantage in changing the points for vouchers piecemeal, is there?

Could it be that some vouchers have a use by date so you change them travel vouchers. looks like new system not going to be so advantageous but still workable

Mel B - 2013-08-05 7:06 PM

I have just been exchanging some Tesco vouchers which were due to expire shortly for some Tesco Travel (Eurotunnel) vouchers.

I was already aware that instead of posting Travel vouchers which is what they did previously, they now email a Token Code to you, however what I was NOT aware of is the change to how many of the Travel Vouchers/Token Codes you can use.

You can still exchange Tesco Vouchers for a Travel Vouchers in multiples of £5 (3 x face value), but whereas before when you came to actually making your booking with Eurotunnel you could combine several Travel Vouchers to add up to the amount you needed to cover the cost of your Eurotunnel crossing, you CANNOT COMBINE THEM any more as only ONE CODE can be used PER BOOKING. 8-)

In a nutshell:

Previously: You could exchange some Tesco vouchers and get some Travel vouchers, and then get some more to build up to the amount you needed for your crossing.

Now: You can ONLY use ONE TRAVEL TOKEN CODE PER BOOKING, so if you haven't got enough Tesco vouchers to change for Travel tokens in one exchange via the Tesco website, to cover the full cost, you're stuffed and will have to pay the remainder yourself. It also means that you need to be a bit 'psychic' and try to work out what the cost of travel will be if you exchange well in advance of when you will be contacting Eurotunnel to actually make your booking (you still have 6 months to 'spend' the Travel Token when you get the code)!

Details here:

Tesco Eurotunnel Travel changes

I think that makes sense! :D

Whether this change is applicable to any other 'deals' I don't know! :-S

Mel, could you just book out going as one transaction, and then book the return as another one later on?

We have only used the tunnel twice, and only one way, so don,t know if this is possible. I know for you, with the dogs the tunnel is the best option, but for us the ferry is quicker, and much more closer to home, and works out cheap now have joined the Brittany Travel Club.

Pauline

PJay - 2013-08-06 10:11 AM

Mel, could you just book out going as one transaction, and then book the return as another one later on?

We have only used the tunnel twice, and only one way, so don,t know if this is possible. I know for you, with the dogs the tunnel is the best option, but for us the ferry is quicker, and much more closer to home, and works out cheap now have joined the Brittany Travel Club.

Pauline

As we are about to exchange vouchers for a Token code, I read this in the 'small print':

"Token codes can only be used for travel originating from Folkestone, including single journeys. Token codes cannot be used for trips originating from Calais."

So I think that means that you can either book a single TO Calais, or a return starting from Folkestone, but not 2 singles.

Yes Gwen that is my understanding of the rules too. As for changing all the vouchers at the same time that's ok if you have enough but if you ususlly change them piecemeal so you don't lose them due to them expiring before you receive the next lot of vouchers to exchange to make up the crossing cost shortfall obviously you lose out. Had I not realised I could have fallen into this 'trap'.

Gwen and Mel

I believe you are right, now I think about it

As I said before, too much hassle for us to go from Folkestone, as the Porstmouth Ferry is less than 10 mins away for us, but I understand the advantage for Mel on Tunnel as she can stay with the dogs, and it,s just as easy to get to from the north. We only tried it, just for the experience , but the second time so much traffic and long delays at terminal, so said would not bother again

As for Tesco, they always seem to be moving the goal post, even in the shop, and I find it most annoying when they "move" things around , so that I can't find what I want!!! But it is my nearest supermarket, and the parking has bigger spaces than any other one

PJay

Thanks Mel and PJay. Bit of a blow. Last time we used the vouchers we had enough only for a single [winter crossing], so we booked outward trip, and when we felt ready to come home, we booked inward via one of the Clubs on-line. As the outward trip was ‘free’ that didn’t seem a bad deal.

Was hoping to do the same next time we go, but book inward trip also with vouchers. Need to think again. Book outward with vouchers and pay for inward to ensure flexibility, or tie ourselves down to a return and use vouchers both ways…..

Still… cannot really complain!

[but as for Tesco… don’t get me started on our local store. I’ve started to pay the toll to go over the Neyland Bridge to shop elsewhere rather than use it. I build up the points by using the Credit Card. DD has been booking her mammoth States adventure and I’ve had her book everything using my card.. lots of points! And what do point mean??? Free Tunnel Crossings.]

Cheers

Gwen

I really don't see what the problem is, I think you get around 2 years to use your vouchers, plenty of time surely.

and now they just E-mail you a code for them for you to use when booking you're crossing

I reckon its a great scheme and doesn't need to be knocked

dawki - 2013-08-06 10:18 PM

I really don't see what the problem is, I think you get around 2 years to use your vouchers, plenty of time surely.

and now they just E-mail you a code for them for you to use when booking you're crossing

Who’s knocked it?

I believe I said 'cannot complain'. And went on to misquote ISIHAC "points mean tunnel crossings".

Yes, it is a great scheme.

All people have tried to do is tease out the ends of the new rules and ensure that there is a general understanding of the implications.

Goodness…. some people will start an argument where none exists.

Don't think he was referring to you Gwendoline :-D :-D

Just got out vouchers today ready for christmas markets, now saving for Easter. We just save them here till we get right amount then change, easy to check what you have now without waiting for vouchers to arrive and that way you don't miss any.

Mandy

Mel B - 2013-08-06 2:13 PM................. As for changing all the vouchers at the same time that's ok if you have enough but if you ususlly change them piecemeal so you don't lose them due to them expiring before you receive the next lot of vouchers to exchange to make up the crossing cost shortfall obviously you lose out. .................

True Mel, but the vouchers are dated about two years into the future, and the tokens are valid for six months. So, if used in chronolgical order, and assuming one makes more than one trip per year, the chance of the vouchers expiring before redemption is surely quite minimal? For example, our latest batch are dated August 2015.

Slightly OT, but am I correct in my impression that the number of vouchers per pound spent has fallen over the past couple of years, or is it just that Eurotunnel's rates have risen? We seem now to have to convert more vouchers to tokens than previously, to get a crossing, not considering the reduction from 1 = 4 to 1 = 3.

I think the prices have gone up Brian , like every thing else!

I guess you live roughly half way between Portsmouth and the tunnel, to make it worthwhile .Apart from the crossing time, not worth the hassle for us, not to mention the extra miles on both sides of the channel. Maybe if we had a Dog, then it would make a bit more sense, but as we don't , and being ex sailors we don't get sea sick either !

PJay

Probably! We are only a handful of miles from Newhaven, which I have used, on and off, since about 1955.

The only time I came close to upchucking was my first ever trip, in March, in a full souwester, on a proper steam packet called the Arromanches.

It started badly when someone managed to do the honours right down the middle of the main stairs before we had even untied, and went downhill from there! A small band of us hardy ones took shelter behind one lad's cycle cape - essential in view of those green faced souls clinging to the windward rail, who were oblivious as to where the wind was taking their stomach contents! The crossing took way longer than the allotted 4 1/2 hours, and I eventually had to visit the toilet. All I will say about that, is that once I had stepped over the bulkhead I slid straight across to the far wall as she rolled, and about half way back on the next roll! On my return to the cycle cape haven on deck I noticed that the swells were just breaking into the scuppers. Those old ships really rolled! The loo made me heave, but the prospect of anything more while there instilled such horror, I made it back to the (very!) fresh air on deck still in posession of my breakfast! :-) Apologies for the OT!

But, we now have more time, and the Tesco vouchers make the crossing so much cheaper, that we opt for the relative speed and flexibility of the tunnel. Were I in Fareham, though, I'd do as you do. After all, the ferries have stabilisers now!

113201809_Arromanchescopy.jpg.a166cb8dced8ccd8b0a919e0fc85f16a.jpg

Gwendolyn - 2013-08-06 10:48 PM

dawki - 2013-08-06 10:18 PM

Who’s knocked it?

I believe I said 'cannot complain'. And went on to misquote ISIHAC "points mean tunnel crossings".

Yes, it is a great scheme.

All people have tried to do is tease out the ends of the new rules and ensure that there is a general understanding of the implications.

Goodness…. some people will start an argument where none exists.

Your dead right there Gwendolyn

Thanks for spotting that Mandy

Has anyone booked an actual crossing [not just cashed in Vouchers for Tokens] using the Vouchers / Tokens under the new rules?

If we cross in September, instead of staying in UK [family stuff might dictate], we will have to book at short notice.

SO>> after getting the email tokens, when you ring to book the actual crossing, do you then still have to send ‘something’ to Eurotunnel by special delivery, as one had to with the paper vouchers, or do you just quote the code, or can you book on-line using code instead of ringing???

Just would like to be au fait with new procedure if we need to decide at short notice. Will be grateful to have up to date info.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers

Gwen

Archived