Fiat ripoff

bodach

My 2004 Ducato has an underslung spare wheel supported by a couple of hooks at the rear end which are lowered by unscrewing a couple of bolts. My local garage reported that they were unwilling to check the spare wheel as the bolts were likely to shear off due to rust ( it was ok last year but corrosion works fast sometimes). Carelessly I told them just to get another couple of hooks and replace them. When the bill came in it was £36 each hook plus £6 odd for the bolts each. With vat nearly £100 just for a couple of minor bits! The garage were equally horrified and queried this amount but were told it was correct. To add insult to injury I then discovered I could have got them from t'internet for approx £10 each plus postage. >:-( Once more beware of Fiat.

Guest peter
Bit like shutting the door after the horse has bolted. I always check the internet before buying anything for my van. I bet you will also, next time. :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
They sell the vans at a loss, and make their profit on spares I think, my 2003 PVC has a side door top roller support arm, the end of which is a small bearing, on which is a nylon "top hat" this is the bit that splits, you cannot buy that, which would probably cost 50p to make, you have to buy the entire arm at £100 a go, if it was fitted by them as well I dread to think, I got one from a scrapyard, but even they are in on the act, as they too know it's a £100 quid job from Fiat, so £45 later for a part worn one, oh well.................. :'(

First of all I've never come across these bolts being siezed, the garage should have tried first and only advised if they were siezed and then once you'd told them to replace ("if neccessary" might have been an apposite comment) should only have replaced them if they were indeed siezed and subsequently sheared off. When we work on motorhomes if anything needs doing we cost the parts and phone the customer to adivse what it will cost to do the remedial work. Sometimes there is little choice for the customer, for example if I find worn brake discs and crumbling pads (which frequently happens) then we will strongly advise the work be done or the vehicle must be removed by transporter as its not safe to drive but we ALWAYS cost and advise before we do the work.

D.

bodach - 2013-08-05 8:28 PM

My 2004 Ducato has an underslung spare wheel supported by a couple of hooks at the rear end which are lowered by unscrewing a couple of bolts. My local garage reported that they were unwilling to check the spare wheel as the bolts were likely to shear off due to rust ( it was ok last year but corrosion works fast sometimes). Carelessly I told them just to get another couple of hooks and replace them. When the bill came in it was £36 each hook plus £6 odd for the bolts each. With vat nearly £100 just for a couple of minor bits! The garage were equally horrified and queried this amount but were told it was correct. To add insult to injury I then discovered I could have got them from t'internet for approx £10 each plus postage. >:-( Once more beware of Fiat.[/quote

Hopefully at that price they are now A4 rated Stainless Steel, and will never need changing again ??

(which is what they should have been in the first place, especially as the 'Following Driver's life' might depend on them ). otherwise I agree, A ripoff. Ray

The bolts were well and truly stuck. I soaked them with a variety of release agents over a couple of weeks and could get no movement. In the end they had to be cut off with an angle grinder.I should of course have checked them more regularly but they are not very handy under the van. I have been using this garage for at least 25 years as it is next door to my own workshop and I can nip in an keep an eye on what they are doing to my vehicles. Sometimes you can make an assumption that something looks cheap to buy.In this case a big mistake.The new ones were well greased and also sprayed with waxoil and will now be checked more regularly. Stable doors and horses do undeed come to mind.

The bolts were well and truly stuck. I soaked them with a variety of release agents over a couple of weeks and could get no movement. In the end they had to be cut off with an angle grinder.I should of course have checked them more regularly but they are not very handy under the van. I have been using this garage for at least 25 years as it is next door to my own workshop and I can nip in an keep an eye on what they are doing to my vehicles. Sometimes you can make an assumption that something looks cheap to buy.In this case a big mistake.The new ones were well greased and also sprayed with waxoil and will now be checked more regularly. Stable doors and horses do undeed come to mind.

If the bolts were that rusted it begs the question whether the spare wheel, tyre and valve has been out and properly checked in recent years?

I suspect that one would be royally brassed off to get a puncture and find the spare to be perished, deformed or flat!

Rightly or wrongly I would also have greased the whole length of the new bolts before refitting.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tracker - 2013-08-06 9:58 AM

If the bolts were that rusted it begs the question whether the spare wheel, tyre and valve has been out and properly checked in recent years?

I suspect that one would be royally brassed off to get a puncture and find the spare to be perished, deformed or flat!

Rightly or wrongly I would also have greased the whole length of the new bolts before refitting.

Ah a VERY good point, earlier this year prior to our first trip over the water I decided to drop off the spare ( after much heaving and shoving of the spare wheel carrier) and check that is was OK, not a sign of cracking or anything else untoward, just check the pressure, mmm, that's odd zero, especially as it has never been used, and was fine last year...................manhandled it into the car, up to the local garage to blow it up, only to discover the valve had perished. ;-)

Spare was out in early 2012 and found to be 10 psi down and inflated to proper pressure.At the recent problem was found to be 8 psi down but otherwise ok. Would have been seriously teed off if had a puncture and could not get spare out.

Dave Newell - 2013-08-06 7:41 AM

First of all I've never come across these bolts being siezed, the garage should have tried first and only advised if they were siezed and then once you'd told them to replace ("if neccessary" might have been an apposite comment) should only have replaced them if they were indeed siezed and subsequently sheared off. When we work on motorhomes if anything needs doing we cost the parts and phone the customer to adivse what it will cost to do the remedial work. Sometimes there is little choice for the customer, for example if I find worn brake discs and crumbling pads (which frequently happens) then we will strongly advise the work be done or the vehicle must be removed by transporter as its not safe to drive but we ALWAYS cost and advise before we do the work.

D.

What Dave has said he did only last week with myself, a man that is true to his work. Had brake disk and pad problems phoned me first and after replacing them showed me them, and yes they needed changing Rock on Dave Top Man.

Zydeco Joe - 2013-08-06 5:09 PM

Dave Newell - 2013-08-06 7:41 AM

D.

In the continuing absence of a "like" button I'll just say it, thanks. We try to please.

D.

What Dave has said he did only last week with myself, a man that is true to his work. Had brake disk and pad problems phoned me first and after replacing them showed me them, and yes they needed changing Rock on Dave Top Man.

Archived