Automatic motorhomes

madcyclist5

I am thinking about purchasing a motorhome. I have been a sailor for 35 years but I am now disabled. I loved cruising on the water. I need an automatic motorhome with with good headroom as I am 6'3". My wife & I often get up in the night for a pee so we need 2 single bed or 2 double beds. We cycle a lot so having a garage underneath would desirable to secure the bikes. As we like travelling in Europe, a right drive would be prefable but not essential. We arelooking to buy new but again it is not essential if the right motorhome in very good condition comes up. Can anybody suggest a good spec for a motorhome which less than 25ft within this criteria? :-D

Welcome to the forum Paul. I have recently purchased Ford Freetec 698G. I had a similar wish list as you. I wanted a garage for bikes or scooter, 2 double beds fixed, a lounge area that utilised the cab seats, a shower with a proper door and not a curtain decent headroom a large fr/frz, air con and most of all an auto gearbox. So far I,m really pleased with it and I have just returned from a week in the French Alps. It drove like a dream. You can read a recent roadtest in last months Which motorhome. Web site is www.tec-caravan.com. You won't see many on the roads in UK yet . They are owned by Hymer and have only just been introduced into UK by Brownhills. o/all lenght 7mts, I upgraded to 3850kg to get a decent payload. Good luck, take your time, visit a show is best.

Hi Madcyclist5, Within your enquiry you say that; "you like travelling in Europe, so a Right-Hand drive would be preferable" Did you mean to say, "Left-Hand drive? As this makes a considerable difference, due to the most frequently used base vehicle - FIAT, offering the option of Auto on their LEFT-HAND drive but, not on the usual UK right-hand drive. So, with a Left-Hand drive Motorhome, your choice becomes infinite with, almost, all makes of chassis/cabs, used for building motorhomes, offering some form of Automatic (mostly sequential): FIAT RENAULT MERCEDES V.W. FORD IVECO As has been suggested, your research will involve reading most of the Motorhome Magazines (for several months or, back-copies) and visiting as many of the outdoor and indoor Shows (all publicised in MMM, etc.) as you can manage, plus talking to lots of motorhome owners, we are mostly a very approachable lot!! Best wishes with your search for the nearest purchase to your prepared 'Wish-List'. Chris

Archived