Full AA check or just HPI etc ?

birdybiker66

HPI I would think essential. Mechanical should be OK at that mileage, providing there is a full service record, the van is not more than about 2 years old, and it drives well. However, what you really need to know is that it is dry - for which a proper damp test is essential - and that all the systems work as they should. So, I would suggest, it would be wise to go with someone who ideally knows the type of van you propose buying but, failing that, just someone with good, practical, motorhoming experience.

birdybiker66 - 2013-08-06 8:06 PMThankyou Brian, I hadn't thought about damp on a 2011, not sure who to ask about that, I don't think a dealer would do it for a fee, or would he?

birdybiker....the age is, in reality, irrelevant when it comes to damp.  I speak from experience because ours was discovered to have a damp problem on the rear wall when it was only just 2 years old.  A leaking/badly sealed rear window was the culprit.  The remedial work, under warranty, was around £2000 so if it is a dealership you're looking at purchasing from I would insist on a damp check report.

If it is a private sale there are probably businesses/dealerships that would do it for you for a fee. Either way if it was me buying I would walk unless it had a current damp check report.  You most probably would be OK but on the off chance it does have damp it could be costly if there is no recourse to whomever you purchase it from.

It's a private sale and and I'm on with getting a mobile habitation check , plus hPI of course.

As to why it's for sale I havn''t asked, if there was something wrong he wouldn't tell me anyway, what i have read somewhere is ask the seller to sign to say everything works at the time of sale, I could try that?

There are many many reasons why someone would sell at 2 years, doesn't neccasarily meen there's a problem and anyway if there was anything like damp it would have been picked up and dealt with under warranty. HPI is a definite and check service history particularily the damp test, other than that it sounds safe enough to me considering its still under mfrs warranty.

RogerC - 2013-08-07 10:46 AM

Also worth checking that the habitation and base vehicle has been serviced as per warranty requirements.  If it has it should/might transfer to you.  If not you'll find there's no warranty to fallback on.

This is particulaly important with the damp check. Most, if not all, manufacturers attach quite stringent conditions to their water ingress warranties. Make sure you read that warranty, and see the evidence that the checks have been done, before you part with your cash.

Be very cautious over who has done the damp checks, and when. Most warranties seem to stipulate that only franchiced dealers for the make can complete the check in compliance with the warranty, and that this must be completed within a defined time window. A check carried out by Joe Bloggs, or a late check, will not cut the mustard and will probably invalidate the warranty.

Not all owners read the warranties, so failure to comply can be just as much accident as roguery. So, check that whoever did the damp check is approved, that the time constraint was observed, and if the warranty stipulates that a full habitation check must also be carried out, check also that this was done by an approved person within dates.

Oh christ ! thanks for all the help, I suspect that the remaining 12M warranty is lost because the owner has said it aint been serviced cos it's not due, I will get a damp test and habitation check for my piece of mind and if everything else is good (hpi) I'll ask / hope for a bit of discount.

It's the vehicle i want because of the lounge layout and bike garage capacity so i've got to be cautious at the expense of annoying the seller, what will be will be !

Another question i have is how old is the vehicle (even though it's a 2011) I'll do a search now as i know its been discussed previously, Thankyou everyone (I'm getting nervous now, might be the red wine!) Dave

Archived