Good news on Over nighting.

Cliffy

Not good enough, park up like other motorists do , as in Spain, with the proviso of not having any equipment ect on display, and of course not parking dangerously. Its just another way of raising money for the cash strapped councils.

chas - 2013-08-07 6:44 AM

Not good enough, park up like other motorists do , as in Spain, with the proviso of not having any equipment ect on display, and of course not parking dangerously. Its just another way of raising money for the cash strapped councils.

Are you complaining about the 6 metres 'separation rule' for motorhomes overnighting on these Torridge pay-and-display car parks, or that there's a charge being levied for overnight stops? If the latter, then I was under the impression that motorcaravanners who wanted to overnight 'officially' on UK town/city car parks were comfortable with being charged a fee for being able to do so.

(Incidentally, the limitation for each of the Torridge car parks is more fully "Any period between 6pm and 10am for a maximum of 2 consecutive nights only")

You may well be under the impression that motorcaravaners are comfortable with paying £5 a night , but many are not. The Dawlish scheme which was operated free of charge was stopped because of licencing/planning laws, seems strange that councils can change these when they can extract money this way. Anyway who would want to risk staying in a public car park and be possibly harassed by the night yobboes and boy racers to mention but a few of the irritations of such areas.

Its a money making scam brought on by cuts in government hand outs to councils IMO, and that's all it is My Opinon.

Seems like a very sensible option to me, many car parks charge for leaving a car overnight, so having the option to overnight a motorhome is a natural extension of this. Myself I'd be very unlikely to use car parks in this area as there's plenty of good campsites around, but if more councils within easy reach of motorways such as the M5 would adopt this it would be good for overnighting during a journey, We often use the motorway services at bottom of M5 to overnight on way to cornwall, they are expensive and can be noisey, but at this time of year they fill up with caravans and motorhomes due to the convenience.

Well spotted Cliffy;

Hopefully it won't be long before there are some photo's out there, and we'll all be able to see what the locations and pitches are like.

This could be the beginning, or a nail in the coffin of motorhomeing and "aires" in the uk. Best behaviour folks!

Well done Torridge DC.

As for a moneymaking scam; £5 isn't going to recover the cost of white lines in a hurry!

I hope it's a success,

alan b

Good to see an enlightened view for a change.  It's nice to see a Council saying 'you can' instead of 'don't do this, don't do that, height barriers, fines etc etc.  As for a £5, for those needing somewhere to stop over it's a small price to pay.

Anything positive done by local councils should be applauded, not done down as a cynical move.

All the parks on the website can be viewed on Google earth or Maps some of the locations,such as Appledore look enticing enough for a night of LEGAL camping.

ips - 2013-08-07 11:44 AM

Or for £7 ish you could relax in the security of a CL/CS

That may be true, but then you are bound by arrival time restrictions. Being decades from retirement my time is precious, therefore I prefer to travel as soon as I get in from work so I don't "waste" time travelling. A recent C&CC site I recently visited had arrival times from midday and no later than 19:00......

was recently in Tintagel in Cornwall. All 3 main car parks offer overnighting at about £3.50.

The one near preston looks ideal for overnight stays for breaking up a long journey. Secure and well maintained with all facilities available for £10 - and a £5 voucher for a meal t the pub.

Bolly1965 - 2013-08-07 7:02 PM

was recently in Tintagel in Cornwall. All 3 main car parks offer overnighting at about £3.50.

I hadn't realised that(..mind you, we haven't been down there for a couple of years)

..it's worth knowing tho'.

Thanks for that Bolly' ;-)

chas - 2013-08-07 8:24 AM

...Anyway who would want to risk staying in a public car park and be possibly harassed by the night yobboes and boy racers to mention but a few of the irritations of such areas...

I've some sympathy with your view, but UK motorcaravanners seem to be very keen on overnighting within towns/cities - hence the regular complaints that the UK lacks 'aires' - and (based on earlier forum comments) seem prepared to pay for doing so.

The Torridge website carries a link to this webpage

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers.shtml

Within the Herefordshire section is a reference to "Red Meadow car park" at Ross-on-Wye. Parking overnight there is free, but the nearby nightclub, pubs and restaurants mean there could be a good deal of late-night noise, particularly on the weekend. It's certainly convenient for the town centre, and probably safe enough, but I'd not choose to overnight there.

Ross-on-Wye has an attractive campsite close to the town centre

http://www.broadmeadow.info/index.asp

but it's only open Easter to end-September (and it's not cheap). There are CLs nearish to Ross, but these are not all-year-round and definitely not within walking distance of the town. So, if one wanted to visit Ross in a motorhome during the winter and overnight in the town, I guess it would be Red Meadow car park or nowhere.

There's also a reference on the UKMotorhomes.net webpage to the "Nightstop Scheme" (that I wasn't aware of)

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/news/six-new-locations-join-our-nightstop-scheme

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=215909991352672176800.000496c06be4986af8c3a&msa=0

sambukashot - 2013-08-08 7:38 AM

Lots more motorhome parking news for the UK here:

http://www.tmcto.org/index.php/motorhome-news

After following this link I ended up here http://www.tmcto.org/index.php/motorhome-news/item/31-can-t-legislate-for-camper-vans-in-whitby so would other forum members like to leave a comment, please be polite and constructive you never know there could be some forward thinking local authorities out there. MMM could start a campaign for UK type "Aires". What do you think Daniel?Dave

Archived