Towing a runabout

Vixter

Now that the old b***er has set up his own User Name (Vixters Other Half), I can get back to my own threads! I am considering the pro's & con's of towing a little car behind our motorhome. This would involve cross channel ferries, possible wild camping and aire stopovers, campsites in UK & abroad. Big Brian (Clou Liner) is 8.5 metres long, how would we get on towing a small trailer? Which would be the smallest/lightest/cheapest car to buy & insure? I guess left-hookers may be best?? The debate continues on the legality of A frames so I guess a straightforward trailer would be best. Would welcome hearing about anyone's personal experience

Just a note - As you probably know, many 'Free' aires in France are now starting to charge an overnight parking fee as well as 2 euros for water, dumping is still free in many aires, unless they have installed Flot Blue, where you have to pay to open the door. Last May a camper with car in tow, arrived at Le Treport, the usual procedure is to park the car across the space occupied by the camper, this time the Lady who collects the dosh wanted two fee's, unless they parked the car outside on the road - not a happy camper. There is however an upside - you can almost guarantee a space in many aires, only Hollanders, Germans and some Britsh don't mind paying the parking fee's. Regards Terry

Suggested cars How about a classic - a Fiat 126, there are some lovely examples out their, they are fun to drive and cheap and fairly light to tow on a trailer. Just make sure if you get the water cooled ones that they have had their head done (properly) as they tend to overheat and blow it, once done they don't need doing again. Also, get one that hasn't EVER been towed on an A-frame. You could also look at other classics such as bubble cars - Isetta, Heikel etc (the ones with the door at the front) but you really need to know what you're doing as if they are not set up and restored properly you could be buying a heap of trouble. Another option is a modern bubble car, you can get a Zetta (modern replica of the Isetta) they are great fun and being made our of GRP won't rust like the originals, they tend to be fitted with motorcycle engines and go like rockets! Just make sure if you get one that it has been put together well as some were home built kits. They were produced and sold by Tritech but unfortunately they are no longer trading, one reason I believe is that they couldn't produce the goods to keep up with demand so people stopped ordering them. Also, there's the production cars such as Microcar, Aixam etc type modern cars which are lighter and cheap to insure and, I believe, made out of GRP. You could also look at the Qpod (I think that's it's name!) that Noel Edmunds is now importing, they are a bit like John Wickersham's little runabout. Not sure on price though but I suspect they're not cheap. There's some Aixams, Microcars, Isettas etc on ebay at the moment so you can see what I'm talking about - there's a lovely Aixam convertible as well if you don't want a 'roof'! Have fun looking! Mel B

Whats going on here??????????????? I spend years researching the optimum motorhome configuration, test drive and hire to be certain, sell the caravan at a loss, get rid of the car etc etc and get psyched up to be a fulltimer. Then I go abroad on business and before I can get me internet set up, tuther halfs off looking at towing trailers wif cars on it. !!!! Got a sneaking feeling there's only going to be be one person doing the towing- like when we had the caravan ( sorry rude word - mouth- soap) Going circle full now we are??

In theory you shouldn't tow a Smart with it's driving wheels on the ground because the gearbox lubrication is taken care of by a pump driven from the input shaft of the gearbox, therefor if the engine isn't running the oil is not distributed to the transmission bearings as it is intended to be and premature bearing failure might be the outcome. In truth plenty of people have been towing Smarts on A frames for a good while now and I haven't heard of a single transmission failure. A frames are still illegal though! D.

• 3 weeks later...
You can tow a Smart car on an a frame with no problem as long as you allways remember to put it in to neutral as they are not fully automatic and you dont have to leave the key in it as there is no steering lock it can also be towed with a unbraked a frame as it is only 750kgs

Sorry Pedro you cannot legally tow a Smart or any other car on an unbraked A frame regardless of it's weight. Trailer law states quite clearly that if the trailer (in this case the Smart) is fitted with brakes they must be operational. Furthermore the brakes on the trailer must be fitted with an automatic mechanism to disengage the brakes during reversing manouvres. D.

Vixter, Some practical advice: - first, do some comprehensive searches of this forum on 'towing', 'A-frame', etc. There are a couple of good recent threads. - if you're going to tow a car, on A-frame (no real doubt it's illegal - just that no-one's been charged yet, or had an insurance claim refused) or on a trailer, get a decent car. Sorry, Mel B, we just don't agree on this: == a Fiat 126 - horrible, noisy, ancient, rusty things == an Aixam! Now come one, they are extremely dangerous modile chicanes with a max flat out speed of around 35 to 40 mph depending on load. == Smarts are expensive for what they are and Dave is quite right about the gearbox problems; the manual specifically forbids towing on all wheels, even for (legal) recovery purposes, except for very short distances. Get something like a Daewoo Matiz, Fiat Panda (new model) or similar. - Pedro, Dave is quite right about the towing law on trailers. If brakes are fitted, they must work, regardless of the vehicle weight. In any case the Maximum Authorised Mass of the Smart is well in excess of 750 Kgs and it's the MAM that counts and NOT the empty weight. There is no serious car sold in the UK which can be legally towed on an unbraked A-frame - and that is NOT a grey area! - if you tow anything behind a motorhome, get a proper rear view camera that can be 'always on' (as opposed to only when reverse gear is selected) so you can use it as a rear view mirror. Otherwise, you simply won't know when you have a problem, such as a puncture on the trailer/car. Both methods of towing are a hassle, with increased ferry, motorway toll costs, camping fees and tension while towing. The only thing that goes down is the maximum permitted driving speed - and it goes down a very great deal in some countries, such as Spain, a place where they still have copious numbers of traffic patrols.

Vixter, Some practical advice: - first, do some comprehensive searches of this forum on 'towing', 'A-frame', etc. There are a couple of good recent threads. - if you're going to tow a car, on A-frame (no real doubt it's illegal - just that no-one's been charged yet, or had an insurance claim refused) or on a trailer, get a decent car. Sorry, Mel B, we just don't agree on this: == a Fiat 126 - horrible, noisy, ancient, rusty things == an Aixam! Now come one, they are extremely dangerous modile chicanes with a max flat out speed of around 35 to 40 mph depending on load. == Smarts are expensive for what they are and Dave is quite right about the gearbox problems; the manual specifically forbids towing on all wheels, even for (legal) recovery purposes, except for very short distances. Get something like a Daewoo Matiz, Fiat Panda (new model) or similar. - Pedro, Dave is quite right about the towing law on trailers. If brakes are fitted, they must work, regardless of the vehicle weight. In any case the Maximum Authorised Mass of the Smart is well in excess of 750 Kgs and it's the MAM that counts and NOT the empty weight. There is no serious car sold in the UK which can be legally towed on an unbraked A-frame - and that is NOT a grey area! - if you tow anything behind a motorhome, get a proper rear view camera that can be 'always on' (as opposed to only when reverse gear is selected) so you can use it as a rear view mirror. Otherwise, you simply won't know when you have a problem, such as a puncture on the trailer/car. Both methods of towing are a hassle, with increased ferry, motorway toll costs, camping fees and tension while towing. The only thing that goes down is the maximum permitted driving speed - and it goes down a very great deal in some countries, such as Spain, a place where they still have copious numbers of traffic patrols.

Clive, how do you make out that I'm "...the expert at reversing Smart cars on Trailers!!!" I've openly stated that I don't tow anything! I have in the past towed a caravan behind a Bedfrod CF (loved the Bedford, hated the caravan). I've towed a few trailers including a four wheeled car transport trailer. I've even recovered a Sherpa van on that trailer towed with a 1100cc Marina Pickup. but I've never towed a Smart, on or off a trailer behind anything. D.

Archived