Scotland Trip

zak2442

Hi Guys,Will shortly be making a trip from wales to Loch Ness via M5,M6 AND A74,Do you know of any supermarkets on route with Motorhome parking,also first trip up to Scotland with van so any tips would be welcome.

Regards

Keith.

All of the major chains have maps online so you can see where their stores are located but you certainly will not find any on the roads you mentioned. Some used to issue location maps but I don't think they do anymore?

You can grab the postcodes of any in areas you expect to be at suitable times before you leave or you can search online with a smartphone en route and let the sat nav find them for you or you can poke and hope and just leave the main road at big towns and see what you can find.

Pretty much all of 'em allow parking for a motorhome but you may have to be prepared to squeeze in during busy periods as some car parks are very tight on space and I've never yet found any that have dedicated motorhome parking. I doubt you will find one that will allow you to overnight in case you had that in mind?

zak2442 - 2013-08-07 10:05 PM

Hi Guys,Will shortly be making a trip from wales to Loch Ness via M5,M6 AND A74,Do you know of any supermarkets on route with Motorhome parking,also first trip up to Scotland with van so any tips would be welcome.

Regards

Keith.

Yes one, do not bother to linger at Loch Ness, keep going across to west coast around bit opposite Isle of Skye and follow coast North to Durness. Plenty of supermarkets just off motorway around Glasgow and also in Fort William, higher up than you asked for but handy. You could stop off in Moffat, good C & CC site here and supermarket about half a mile off A74. Have seen vans parked up for the night at a public carpark on the entry to Moffat off the A74, if this is your thing.

I went to North Wales in June and I stay 45 miles east of Inverness, I can get to Carlise on half a tank so fill up at Tesco which is just off the M6 (sorry cant remember the junction) You would then make it up to Inverness and again a Tesco just off the A9 and there is also one just off the A9 at Perth

Which site are you heading for at Loch Ness ??? Very Little if any wild camping anywhere near Loch Ness

Keith by your reference to A74 it looks as though your maps are out of date. It is completely upgraded to Mway and this now makes your journey thru Glasgow a whole lot easier. When travelling South to North I stay on M74 all the way to the end, Junction 1, where it links directly with the M8. Follow M8 to Erskine bridge then as before the A82 to Fort William and the Great Glen thence to Loch Ness. It avoids the perils of driving on the A9 which is getting itself a bad name for its accident rate. Its always the road never the drivers that are at fault. There is a Morrisons in Fort William as well as Tesco in Carlisle Junction 43 of M6 or an Asda at Junction44. All supermarkets do need a bit of time/luck to find a suitable parking space.

Aaargh!!! Don't do it!. The country is currently hootching with tourists and we cannot move for the b.....s. Do us all a favour, buy a video and just send us a cheque. We would be very grateful.

Seriously if you sneeze on Princes Street at the moment someone further along the street falls into the gutter, it is that bad and it is only week 1 of the B....y Festival. No wonder all us citizens leave. I am off back to Spain next week and will return when it is all over.,

Passed Mortonhall today and was chatting with the bus lady who sits there selling tickets to all those in the campsite. Stops them holding the bus up for half an hour while they argue because there is no change on the buses. . She received 4 £50 notes before 10 am for £1.50 tickets and a bunch of Italians asked her for 5 adults and 33 child tickets in one go. Lord knows what they were doing. Must have been a tour group, we hope.

Anyway I gather you are going up West, so will miss some of this fun and games. Hopefully the weather will stay and you enjoy the trip.

Archived