Scalibor collar and/or Advantix for South of Spain?

JonMac46

We really appreciate all the good info on taking a dog to Spain and have read all the relevant posts over the last 5 years. Thank you all.

One thing is not quite clear. Our Vet in Ireland is not familiar with these treatments as we don't need them.

Should we use a collar and apply Advantix? Thanks.

I was able to buy a scallibore collar from our Vet in England a few years ago, we never used it as we didnt go to the south and into Spain , but your Vet should be able to get one for you, ours cost us £11 about 5 years ago. If not buy one from a Vet on your way Im sure you would get one in France.

We are about to travel to France, Spain and Portugal on a six month trip. Our vet recommended a course of injections to prevent leishmaniasis - a disease carried by sandflies I believe. He may have been very safety conscious, and it certainly was very expensive, but we are happy to follow his advice.

Incidentally he is not a fan of taking dogs to Morocco.

Mad Mitch.

NO, you cannot use both together. Scalibor contains deltamethrin and Advantix contains Permethrin, both of which are synthetic pyrethroids. I have a Defra document (Qualitative Veterinary Risk Assessment: Introduction of Exotic Diseases in the UK) which states that permethrin and deltamethrin CANNOT be used together.

Advantix is different to Frontline and does provide repellency against biting sandflies, mosquitos and ticks.

Frontline and the Scalibor collar can be used together.

Kev

kevina - 2013-08-09 2:17 PM

NO, you cannot use both together. Scalibor contains deltamethrin and Advantix contains Permethrin, both of which are synthetic pyrethroids. I have a Defra document (Qualitative Veterinary Risk Assessment: Introduction of Exotic Diseases in the UK) which states that permethrin and deltamethrin CANNOT be used together.

Advantix is different to Frontline and does provide repellency against biting sandflies, mosquitos and ticks.

Kev

That is very interesting - thanks Kev.

kevina - 2013-08-09 3:17 PM

Kev

Yes............... It is Frontline and Scalibor that we use together on our dog Muttley here in Spain.

Yes there is now an injection to protect from Leishmania. I have just priced the course of 3 injections and was quoted £150. It is steep and I,m not sure when a booster is required, but having lost a dog whilst living in Spain Leish is an awfull and incurable disease, and spreading. :-(

Archived