Caravan club

zak2442

pepe63 - 2013-08-13 12:07 PM

Rayjsj - 2013-08-13 11:06 AM

...I did once see a 'Caravanners Wife' nearly get 'Squigded' , she was obviously trying to save a pitch while her (dawdling) Husband slowly drove around...

Although no "squidging" involved, we've witnessed something similar at Baltic Wharf.Whilst her hubby was waiting behind us to book on, this woman scurried off to grab a pitch(..so this was before they were booked in and with their MH still on the outside of the closed barrier!).

Unfortunately when we drove around, the pitch she was "reserving" wasn't the side where we wanted to aim for(..a pity, as it could've made an "interesting" start to weekend >:-) )

I recall reading a lively thread on another forum(ukcampsite?)some time ago,about Trewethett Farm, Tintagel. Where some had witnessed people who ,having arrived just before 12:00(or what ever their booking in time is),would walk onto the site and "reserve" their pitch by leaving a chair/water carrier on it... *-)

Although I dare say the warden would only be accused of being a "little Hitler" if he had stopped 'em! *-)

Great sport, watching it all.

At Chatsworth last Autumn a caravan drew up behind us at reception. Wife got out of car and ran like mad onto the site, while her O/H raced me to the office so he could check in first. He did so, but of course, was then unable to pass our motorhome. So he revved his engine nosily, pointedly.

Then having checked in, we drove around, and selected a pitch, in the process, passing the caravanning wife who still frantically running around seeking pitching perfection.

Went back to the office to notify pitch number when she arrived, panting, in a terrible state of panic saying she couldn’t find an empty pitch [site was busy at it was the Christmas Fair weekend at the house – to be avoided in future!] Warden explained, showing her the map, that the empty pitches were at the end of little ‘alleys’. Had she waited, all would have been made clear.

They ended up pitching next to us. So what was all the haste for? It was November. Dark nights…. Hardly likely to be sitting out in sunshine… one pitch much like another at that time of year.

Same site… a caravanner was placing a “Motorhome using this Pitch” sign on a pitch as another motorhomer was driving around. They indicated that they’d like that pitch. Caravanner said she was reserving it for her motorhoming friends who would be arriving later. A terrific altercation followed. Wow! Made the Chatterbox ‘spats’ look like a mere teddy bears’ picnic.

Zydeco Joe - 2013-08-13 1:10 PM

Joined both clubs last year when we got or motorhome but for this year will only join the CC not that the C&CC is bad. We in the main go over the channel and so don't use many UK sites. Get a discount on ferry charges so stuck with the CC, simples... LOL B-)

Interesting, does the CC offer a bigger discount than the CCC?

sshortcircuit - 2013-08-13 1:13 PM

Joined both clubs last year when we got or motorhome but for this year will only join the CC not that the C&CC is bad. We in the main go over the channel and so don't use many UK sites. Get a discount on ferry charges so stuck with the CC, simples... LOL B-)

I don't know in general terms but CC does discounted crossings on DFDS Dover to Calais/Dunkirk whereas the CCC doesn't for these crossings.

mel wood - 2013-08-13 2:49 PM

sshortcircuit - 2013-08-13 1:13 PM

I don't know in general terms but CC does discounted crossings on DFDS Dover to Calais/Dunkirk whereas the CCC doesn't for these crossings.

Hopefully they do, as I am booked with P&O through the CCC, Dover/Calais next month and it was a 10% discount

Geat sport, watching it all.

Same site… a caravanner was placing a “Motorhome using this Pitch” sign on a pitch as another motorhomer was driving around. They indicated that they’d like that pitch. Caravanner said she was reserving it for her motorhoming friends who would be arriving later. A terrific altercation followed. Wow! Made the Chatterbox ‘spats’ look like a mere teddy bears’ picnic.

Definately 'Out of order' trying to reserve a pitch for someone who hasn't even arrived yet (and might not ?) I wouldn't have got involved with the caravanner, just gone straight to the Warden, if the pitch is listed as empty on 'Their' board, then it's empty, sign or no sign.

Agree, great fun watching (when you are not 'involved') it's all part of the 'people watching' fun, and not illegal . ;-) Ray

I'm beginning to wonder if we've been doing it right all these years. My wife sits in the van, I check in,we drive around until we find the empty pitch we like best, we park. Some pitches are better than others, but it's only a few days. Life has enough stress without creating more.

Wish all things in life were that simple, my missus involves a Compass, not too hot,not too shady,not too bumpy,not too 'overlooked' ,not too near Toilets/Childrens play park, the wardens,the entrance, a busy road, the dustbins..... etc., but all of this is 'computed' on one circular tour of the site...hopefully and an 'executive' decision is made. Me, i am too busy swearing at the 'seat belt reminder gong' to be concerned. I just go where I am told. By the REAL manager, not a 'site' one.(sorry Gwen, couldn't help myself). Ray

Archived