first time to spain

audgreen

we are retiring and plan to spend a long time in Spain. can anyone advise on, from an economic view, whether it is better to take the ferry to either Santander or Bilbao or to go to Calais and drive down. We have a Bessacarr 495 so quite heavy on juice

Guest pelmetman
If you stay off the toll roads, and take a slow wander down using aires ;-).............then you'll be quids in when compared to the ferry cost to Santander :D...................Plus France is Motorhome Nirvana B-)

I agree with pelmetman. We spend most winters in Spain and usually take about two months to get to Almeria, where we spend most of our time. If you go slowly and enjoy discovering new places then it not only spreads the cost of the fuel but the travel becomes part of the enjoyment. I'd far rather spend around £40 on a channel crossing and the rest on enjoying France than spend several hundred pounds getting somewhere quick when there is no need to travel quick. Besides, you can travel through France and spend nothing on camping because of the extensive network of free aires. If you need to visit a campsite, then the municipal ones are very good value - and the food, the wine and the scenery make it well worth it. I'm getting itchy feet just thinking about it! :-D

Hi Audrey and welcome to the nuthouse!

A lot depends on where you start from!

If starting from Kent, over via Dover then driving down to, say, the Alicante area using non toll roads takes from 4 days upwards depending on how you like to travel whether it be crack on and get there or wander down slowly.

On t'other hand if coming from Devon it may be quicker - but a lot more expensive to use the Santander / Bilbao routes.

Plus it can get pretty rough in the Bay of Biscay so how good a sailor you are can have a bearing - as can having a dog!

Which of these variables matter most to you?

like those above, we usually get the cheap ferry to Calais, and travel as fast, or as slow, as we wish, using aires or campsites, depending on how we feel. last year we decided to take the fast but expensive option and went to bilbao.

have to say we wont do it again, we were so bored. great if you have dogs, I suppose.

Hi and welcome, much will depend on when you are setting off, as many of the campsites in France, close at the end of September or mid October. Look at your ACSI book for dates. You can always use aires of course, but we found in January this year that many of the Aires had the water turned off, to save burst pipes. Next year we will be doing Portmouth>Santander!

Enjoy your retirment and the long road south, the warmth is great.

We pay the extra and go Portsmouth-Santander get there relaxed, came back through France this spring and it was a nightmare no enjoyment whats so ever trying to avoid tolls and the big trucks, food was very expensive just not worth it. Get the ferry nice meal in the restaurant wake up relaxed and slow drive through Spain to Portugal.

Dave

johnnerontheroad - 2013-08-12 4:17 PM

We pay the extra and go Portsmouth-Santander get there relaxed, came back through France this spring and it was a nightmare no enjoyment whats so ever trying to avoid tolls and the big trucks, food was very expensive just not worth it. Get the ferry nice meal in the restaurant wake up relaxed and slow drive through Spain to Portugal.

Dave

I cant understand your difficulties through France . Surely if you are prepared to pay the exorbitant ferry fare and meals you should not have been trying to avoid the tolls and enjoying the countryside rather than a boring ferry which can be very rough. But then everybody has a choice

Guest pelmetman
Agreed the water and electric will often be turned off if travelling in winter ;-).............but as your traveling you shouldn't need hookup for one night, and bottled water is dirt cheap in the supermarket anyway.........plus many of the aires that would normally charge.........don't out of season B-)

Dave

Sorry but I disagree as we have a somewhat different perspective on travel through and in France.

I appreciate that parts of France, being such a large country, can be a bit monotonous at times but there is absolutely no problem in avoiding the toll roads as they are very clearly signed 'peage', and assuming you have a sat nav just set it to avoid toll roads.

As for trucks being an issue, again there can be a lot at times but we've never found it to be an issue so long as you keep a bit of space between you, trundle along at their speed and don't try and pass them all.

Travelling in a fully fitted motorhome it begs the question why pay for food at all if you consider it expensive?

For us at least driving across France although a bit tedious at times is infinitely more preferable to being on a ship across the Bay of Biscay!

But we are all different and each to their own idea of heaven!

sshortcircuit - 2013-08-12 4:26 PM

Dave

I cant understand your difficulties through France . Surely if you are prepared to pay the exorbitant ferry fare and meals you should not have been trying to avoid the tolls and enjoying the countryside rather than a boring ferry which can be very rough. But then everybody has a choice

Over 3 Mts high twin axles tolls cost a fortune why support the french government, spend OUR money on something worth while and enjoy it. We don't get bored on the ferry just relax try it, We only buy 1 meal on-board take other food in coolbox and plug in or use fridge if in posh cabin. :-D

Dave

This will be my first trip down to Spain although have been to France a good few times. I have allowed 15 days to get to Benidorm. About 4 days travelling to Dover with 3 days travelling through a dreadful country just to get to Dover :-D . Board the cruise liner for my quick hop over to Calais. First stop is the aires at Cleres and due to timescales will be using toll road to Rouen at I believe a phenomenal charge of €12. The next 10 days will be spent meandering down through France and Spain and going to go through the Somport tunnel so will get some super views before.

As far as fuel goes I arrive at Dover virtually running on air. Last time I filled up at Boulonge with the price in euros the same as in sterling so a good bit cheaper. I normally average about 25mpg but when in France for some reason this increases to about 28mpg. Yes it will cost a bit in fuel but as we will be away for three months it levels out. Also intending secure parking MH in Spain and flying home December and returning March for another three months so fuel costs being spread over a longer period.

Please enjoy your trip as I can assure you I certainly will.

Guest pelmetman
sshortcircuit - 2013-08-12 6:22 PM

I normally average about 25mpg but when in France for some reason this increases to about 28mpg.

That's coz your going down hill :D

sshortcircuit

"Also intending secure parking MH in Spain and flying home December and returning March for another three months so fuel costs being spread over a longer period. "

Whats your insurance company say about this they don't usually give cover when the M/H is unattended overseas. Just a thought.

Dave

365 day European and you will have noticed I said secure parking as that is covered.

The following is exclusions

Cover in respect of fire or theft whilst your

motor caravan is in storage, unless

a) your motor caravan is stored at your

private address; or

b) Your motor caravan is stored on the

private driveway of a close friend or

relative, provided that it forms part of

their property (subject to acceptance of

postcode)

c) your motor caravan is stored in a

securely locked and alarmed building; or

d) your motor caravan is stored in a

securely fenced and locked storage

compound with the following minimum

protection; or

i) security lighting

ii) mobile security patrols and/or a

resident caretaker or operator of the

storage compound whose private

dwelling house is immediately

adjacent to the sole access point to

the storage compound.

I have a brother who lives in Spain and considered parking at his apartment however secure parking would be the better option..

sshortcircuit - 2013-08-12 7:24 PM

365 day European and you will have noticed I said secure parking as that is covered.

The following is exclusions

Cover in respect of fire or theft whilst your

motor caravan is in storage, unless

a) your motor caravan is stored at your

private address; or

b) Your motor caravan is stored on the

private driveway of a close friend or

relative, provided that it forms part of

their property (subject to acceptance of

postcode)

c) your motor caravan is stored in a

securely locked and alarmed building; or

d) your motor caravan is stored in a

securely fenced and locked storage

compound with the following minimum

protection; or

i) security lighting

ii) mobile security patrols and/or a

resident caretaker or operator of the

storage compound whose private

dwelling house is immediately

adjacent to the sole access point to

the storage compound.

I have a brother who lives in Spain and considered parking at his apartment however secure parking would be the better option..

Have you asked if this applies overseas because the extract looks like for the UK?

Should be interesting as this has crossed the mind of most people, all I know is that on some policies it says words to the effect "that when the M/H is away from it's normal storage/parking place it must be in your charge and not left unattended for................." this may not be so on your policy.

I hope you are right as this would help a lot of people, you could then name the company.

Dave

Gosh when you read through these conditions your head goes in a spin.

"the vehicle remains in your custody or control.

If for any reason your vehicle will not be within

your custody or control for a period in excess of

36 hours, then you must notify" This section then refers to security of stored vehicle as previously posted.

A bit of a mind boggler that. Lets say I go to York and park on a site. I then decide to take the train and have a weekend in London, say 48 hrs. Under these condition I should notify them. How often is that going to happen?

sshortcircuit - 2013-08-12 8:20 PM

Gosh when you read through these conditions your head goes in a spin.

"the vehicle remains in your custody or control.

If for any reason your vehicle will not be within

your custody or control for a period in excess of

36 hours, then you must notify" This section then refers to security of stored vehicle as previously posted.

A bit of a mind boggler that. Lets say I go to York and park on a site. I then decide to take the train and have a weekend in London, say 48 hrs. Under these condition I should notify them. How often is that going to happen?

You got it in One, hope you haven't booked you flight.

Iain Strachan - 2013-08-12 10:49 PM

I think theOP needs an apology, cos her original post has now been lost, in a strange debate. So sorry Audrey, it gets a wee bit strange on here sometimes.

Yes had a few Ricards Iain

Yes Ian you have had a few Ricards and in the morning you will reflect and wish you had not posted. Pays not to post under influence.

I am sure the OP and others will have learned from all the topics discussed on this thread as that is what forums are about.

Goodnight

thanks for all the info. Even more confused. Maybe when I've had a few tipples it will make more sense. Maybe we'll see some of you over there. We plan to travel in January if the wonderful British weather allows us to get from Lincolnshire down south

Archived