WWII Secrets, an urgent enquiry

Mrs T

I've tried many of the military museums, there are radios but no containers, not surprisingly they would have been destroyed quickly after being dropped. Two compainies made them. Saunders-Roe on the IOW and Southern Aircraft at Gatwick, both were involved in military aircraft and additional air minded equipment.

There were several models of the 'suitcase radio' and a limited number of the type that was parachuted into France. These containers were about 2x2 ft cubed, no small item and heavy.

My late father in law was in the Royal Signals and was involved with ciphers and undercover ops during WW2 and there is a lot to be seen and discovered at the Signals Museum at Blandford Forum.

When last we enquired shortly after his death in 1991 they told us that they were unable to tell us what he did because it was still classifed and there was simply no records or information 'available'.

Whether this still applies or would apply to your research I wouldn't know but the Museum might be able to help?

Archived