Electrolux 3 Way Fridge help

DebzF36

This is probably going to be a really stupid question but I have just bought this fridge, my old one had a button that you pressed that produced a spark, this one I think is electronic. Will it work if I plug it into a 240 socket? or will it only work if I attach it to a 12v battery? xx

I don't know but I would expect to be able to find out one would need to know the model number as there have been numerous different types over many years and you may well find a manual or instructions online via Google?

It does beg the question - have you tried it yet on any power source and what was the outcome as it only needs a spark to ignite the gas which, by definition, would only be when connected to a gas supply for which it does not need mains but may well need 12 v to feed the ignition be it manual or automatic, and possibly the flame failure device - but that's a guess??

DebzF36 - 2013-08-14 4:39 PM

This is probably going to be a really stupid question but I have just bought this fridge, my old one had a button that you pressed that produced a spark, this one I think is electronic. Will it work if I plug it into a 240 socket? or will it only work if I attach it to a 12v battery? xx

The switch you are talking about is the igniter for the gas supply and as SS mentioned, it works off 12v only.....not 240v. So yes if you connect to a battery it should work unless duff.

I'm assuming you are wanting to test this fridge before fitting it?

Yes, I am trying to test it before fitting it into the horsebox. It works fine with 240, a normal plug into socket in house, it gets lovely and cold, but I want to run it on gas when we are out and about. I can't find a model number on it anywhere :(

When you open the door have a look on the inside of the fridge. the model number is sometimes displayed on a printed panel on the inside return of the frame.

Or post a snap on this site .I'm sure someone can identify it.

Re 12v connection... these fridges take a LOT of power and are designed to work off the alternator WHEN THE ENGINE's running. If you connect it to an accumulator it'll be flat pretty quick.

The logic of these fridges is

IF 240 v present ... THEN USE

IF 240v not present ... look for 12 v (and this is usually via a relay to avoid connection when engine not running) THEN if 12 v present USE

IF neither above apply, - THEN use gas.

NB to use gas, - a 12 volt supply is required (and battery IS adequate for this purpose), - to operate gas valve and igniter

Archived