Satellite Updates

gocro

Rather then jump in and spend hundreds of poonds of hard earned money on an automatic dish,I've opted ,for now, for a Multimo and a Micro 30/12 receiver from ebay.

This precaution is prompted by the uncertainty of the imminent change to the popular satellite footprints.

The receiver is set up for over the air updates,( to add satellites?) this is on the Astra 19.2 degees east.

I've found that there's nothing on the update channel, if fact the whole of the satellite's programme seems to have been deserted by German stations who have decamped to pastures new,pre-empting the new satellites.

I wonder if I will need to update the software when the new satellites come on line and if it's even possible as Micro seems to have no web presence although they seem very like Comag models.

....I think you'll find that the OTA update is for receiver firmware, not for satellite frequencies, and its unlikely that you will ever get or need one.

I would think your receiver (if it is like the Comag) will do a "blind search", which requires you to lock on to the required satellite, and then use the menu options to repopulate the channels (and it will search and populate all it can find on the particular satellite).

Worth doing from time-to-time as there are a good few movements over time.

(I suspect the channels have been "scratched" at some point, and no-one has bothered doing a blind search on 19.2, which is why it will be empty).

Thanks for the swift reply.

My concern was mainly for new satellites as the box is pre-programmed with current ones,I thought the update would include new satellites, or are the new ones using the same nomenclature, as the old ones are retired. The manual does specify that the updates are for software, but doesn't specify what it does.

Why does new technology make life easier but so difficult at the same time?

AFAIK, the new satellites are largely being released under the existing "groupings" (19.2E, 28.2E, etc. though with different footprints), and as such, your blind search capability should continue to work, as long as you are within the footprint of the required satellite(s).

Just a thought, the Astra group of satellites at 28.2 are the ones with most of the channels most people watch, unless you speak fluent German of course.

The receiver will identify any new satellites in any position used for TV broadcasts automatically, if a new satellite was launched in a different position with new channels etc (very unlikely) then a software update might be needed.

New satellites are launched to replace ageing ones and simply move into place and take over from the old one. Usually with more bandwidth and other slight changes.

H

Astra is basically what sky use, so you would get all the english freeview. I have a system at home which I use for football, motorised system. Tend to use Astra for things like ITV etc (HD channels as well), Hotbird for football on Aljazeria sports and Eutotel sat for Tring for Prem football.

As the newer Satellites come into use with their restricted footprints other options such as:-

To watch the French Satellites (e.g. to watch live the Tour de France) they will find that the French have an encryption system FRANSAT, that is not compatible with anyone else, typical.

This will require a specific decoder, I purchased one in the UK from the "Satellite Shop" in Tunbridge Wells, expensive at a one off cost of about £300.

The Satellite is not Astra but is on Atlantic bird 5° west satellite.

There is a good choice of programmes mainly in French of course but some German as well.

Archived