Buying first motorhome

kap

Buying our first motorhome, would prefer to buy new and would appreciate any advice. Wish list includes a low profile, fixed double bed, max length about 23 feet, preferably with rear garage and we do appreciate a 'bit of luxury'. We have just looked at a Elnagh Slim at Don Amott Leisure (2005 model - big reduction). Would be grateful for any info on Elnagh mtorhomes and Don Amotts as a dealer to buy from.

Hi Kap, We bought our motorhome from Don Amott October last year. It's an Elnagh Clipper 90 on a Fiat Ducato 2.3 jtd and the only problems we have had was the warning light on the waste tank wouldn't go out and the caravan door retaining catch broke. These were both fixed during the free 6 month habitation check. The catch was my fault because i left the door open in a strong wind and the door swung round at some speed and smashed it. Ours is only a basic van compared to the Slim but we are both really pleased with it. It has done around 5,000 miles now and we are up to 31 mpg and getting better. I spoke to someone with a Clipper 90 when I took it for the habitation check and he was getting about 34 mpg. Good luck, John.

hi kap most people don't get their first motorhome right. when they realise it and change it is a big loss if you bought new. my info on don amott is 12 years old. we bought a new coachbuilt from them. it didn't have a few things fitted which the sales blurb said it had but it did have a lot of faults. i wrote a letter to don amott and everything was fixed to my satisfaction. my advice is to buy used to minimise the loss when you inevitably find it's not what you want. then buy new. mike

Archived