HELP Urgent info needed Rouen Tunnels

Knaus

Hi

Going tomorrow. I know the main bridge is closed and I need to go along to the next bridge. There

are tunnels with height restrictions. Can anyone tell me what the restrictions are. I have a 3m high motorhome. I have tried to see the height signs on Google but they aren't clear enough.

Thanks

The tunnels are signed in advance but not by much so if you go that way you do need to keep your wits about you which is not always easy in a strange town, busy traffic and a large vehicle, which is one of the reasons we too prefer to go the other side of Rouen via Pont de l'Arche.

Thanks for this posting Knaus as I will be following you in a few weeks. I was aware of problems with a bridge but it looks like I could miss it. I will be travelling from Cleres and will join the A150 which changes to the N1338 at Rouen and will cross the Seine over that impressive bridge. I am heading down towards Evruex so hopefully this will be the right direction?????.

This is the plan but previously I missed this bridge and ended up going along the river bank through Rouen which although daunting we did get there. I was aware of tunnels but there also appeared to be roads running alongside so you avoided the tunnel but came to a junction. If you think Rouen is bad just try Paris and if you can do it, you can travel anywhere.

Whatever, enjoy.

When I came through Rouen about 2 weeks back there were lots of road works, the big tunnel entrance was being repaired but you could still get though, just follow the signs.

I came over the old bridge and down the side of the river like I always do. Avoid the smaller "underpass" tunnels they are to low but are clearly marked and it is easy to go up to the island and round and back on the same road. The height is something like 2.4 metres but it might be a bit more, we don't fit under anyway.

Rouen is not so bad if you have sat nav, but even without you just follow the signs.

Going round is a good option, particularly if you are not confident in traffic.

By the way, the French drivers will give way and make room for you, they can see you are not local and they HATE insurance claims!

H

We went through in late June From Calais, on The motorway there are diversion signs which take you on to a short tolled section of the A29. Then the diversion takes you down the A151 to cross over the Siene, there I followed signs for the A13 to Chartres. This is the route the lorrys are taking

ham - 2013-08-16 3:55 PM

We went through in late June From Calais, on The motorway there are diversion signs which take you on to a short tolled section of the A29. Then the diversion takes you down the A151 to cross over the Siene, there I followed signs for the A13 to Chartres. This is the route the lorrys are taking

June was our first time through Rouen, couple of days before we set off I read posts warning of trouble negotiating the place, TomTom took us straight through with nothing whatsoever to worry about.

Hi Knauss;

can't tell you which ones are what height, but I clipped the height indicators on one of them, and our van is 2.65M!

I have decided that in future I'll stay on the surface, regardless of traffic/congestion.

I can't remember how many underpasses there are, but in a van, I really don't think it's worth it. If our van was 3M I'd stay on the surface,

regards

alan b

lennyhb - 2013-08-18 9:50 AM

Don't understand all the fuss everyone makes about Rouen we have been driving around it for 20 or 30 years never found it a problem, look at a map ignore the satnav and you will be OK.

That is easy for you to say having done it so often but for anyone new to the delights of Rouen it can be confusing especially when busy, so contrary to your advice to those who are unfamiliar, my advice is forget trying to navigate by map and stick to the sat nav for directional guidance and observation and common sense for avoiding the tunnels because if you ignore what the sat nav says to miss a tunnel it will very quickly reroute.

Muswell - 2013-08-18 11:01 AM

My daughter came back from a camping holiday via Rouen yesterday ( not a good day to choose ) and there were horrendous traffic jams. She reckons they lost 3 hours in total.

Thanks for that useful information. Can you give any details of the route she took and if the road works looked long term.

ham - 2013-08-18 6:35 PM

The roadworks are long term they may have to demolish the Bridge as the road supports are twisted see http://visitnormandy.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/diversions-around-rouen/

Thanks for the link as it does show how badly the bridge has been damaged and looks like a replacement job. I was also interested to see if there are other road works that are causing delays.

Hi

Which Tunnel is closed? (or Bridge) I had a 12ft-4 height, over the Air-con unit and we used to come down through the tunnel on the N28 (Rocade Nord est?) Take the second exit (qui du corse reign?) then take the D18E (Through the industrial area past the marshaling yards and link up with the E5 (A13)? and then onto the A154? avoiding as many toll roads as possible!!! Even going up the other side of the river (N15) can be interesting but was "do-able" in a 32ft R-V pulling a trailer!.

Pete

sshortcircuit - 2013-08-18 3:59 PM

Muswell - 2013-08-18 11:01 AM

My daughter came back from a camping holiday via Rouen yesterday ( not a good day to choose ) and there were horrendous traffic jams. She reckons they lost 3 hours in total.

Thanks for that useful information. Can you give any details of the route she took and if the road works looked long term.

Sorry for the delay. They've been busy but I now have an e-mail which I can post.

South-bound towards Evreux:

We came in on the A28.

The signposted route takes you most of the way into Rouenm but then onto small roads, and then down the D6015 to join the A154 by Val-de-Reuil.

We followed this to start with, but then instead took the D321 by Pont de l'Arche and joined the A13 at junction 20, and then the A154 at junction 19.

Note of caution: the signposting at junction 20 is not great, and we missed the slip road and ended up heading towards Elbeuf.

The traffic started from just before the long tunnel at Rouen (where they've reduced it to 1 lane), and was 10mph until off the main road and onto the D6015.

The D6015 is a small road not designed for the bulk of traffic, and while not too trafficky, was slow.

Estimated delay was approx 1 hour.

Northbound from Evreux:

We came in on the A13.

The signposted route takes you round the west side of Rouen and is moderately well signposted to follow signs north to Dieppe.

The roads are the A13, N338 and the A150. Once out of Rouen, the route carries on due north towards Dieppe on the A150, then the A151. Then the A29 signed towards Amiens.

The signposting along the route is not too bad, and is mostly done via overhead gantry dot-matrix signs. But, there are not many signs, so no blinking!

Traffic wise, the route was clear and fast, until:

About 4 miles prior to the toll booths on the A29 just before its junction with the A28.

The traffic ground to a standstill, and then it took us just over an hour to travel the last 4 miles to the tolls.

After the toll booths, all was clear again.

Recommendation:

Use the suggested diversions, but in reverse, therefore going against the flow of all the traffic.

They were travelling late Saturday afternoon 17 August which is not the best of times! Hope this helps.

Archived