Downsizing we've made a decision!

Bartonfolk

Hello to every-one who were so helpful in their comments re downsizing. We have now bought a new symbol well the Marquis version, the Dorset. We pick it up early Sept. I know we will have to make huge changes, not least all the stuff we have taken out of our Kontiki! Now looking for the best drive away awning. We already have a cargo bag from a previous motorhome so will be making good use of it !

Thank you all again.

We also downsized from a kontiki to and autocruise alto :-D we have had our first summer in it and we love it. Yes its a bit of a shock when you realize just how much you took away with you in the bigger van!! lots of it unnecessary, I find it much easier to keep tidy I think its probably that I put things away and dont have the clutter that I had before, moving on takes me a lot less time now, its put the kettle away put the lock on the fridge and were off :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Have just driven back from italy and this is one of the best aspects of a panel van...Fast, fuel efficient and great handling..less stress and ease of parking. We take more or less the same stuff as we did in CB, all we did was buy a smaller BBQ (the excellent safari chef) and a couple of coleman collapsible chairs, we still bring our Lafuma's for short breaks. Our van has a rear king size bed with large storage area under it, so eminently practical.......enjoy the new van :-D

I looked long and hard at downsizing to a panel van after having sold my 24ft coach built. I decided against in the end, primarily due to our lifestyle choice of how we actually use the motorhome.

Firstly, there is for us, fortunately no issues around costs including miles per gallon etc. so this aspect would not really offer us any benefits. Secondly, we spend the vast majority of our time motor homing in Europe so ease of parking is much less of an issue for us. Third of course, is comfort. We tend to pitch up somewhere from aires to sites and then leave the van in situe, walking and cycling around the area, when we've had enough we move on. However, whilst pitched we like the comfort of space with all that entails.

So horses for courses and the usual compromises. We now have bought another coach built but will most certainly look again at panel vans at the next change for the decision in the end was perhaps a little closer than the impression given above.

Everyone to their own :-D but we certainly haven't compromised our comfort in any way !! in fact Im more at ease now than before in both body and mind as I know if needed I can take over the driving if needed!! and we saw a marked difference in our fuel consumption and I don't feel guilty about polluting the environment.

If you like us, prefer camping abroad there is NO need to closet yourself up in a large vehicle I love the outdoors if I didn't Id go back to staying in Hotels .

Guest JudgeMental
Us neither.... .. We are now back ( 2 years) to the sort of camping, travelling we prefer and good riddance to garden sheds on wheels with handling to match! :-D

Can I join the downsizing club? We've changed from a Hymer B Class 544 to a 504 which is 3" wider and 17" shorter. It looks much shorter though.

We both agreed we wanted to go back to 6m but the missus had an active dislike for PVCs. The Hymer layout suits because it gives her a separate, dedicated bed with the outstanding Hymer mattress for her bad back. Downside is there seems to be a lot less useful storage you'd expect from losing just 17". And it's because the 504 has two transverse beds, one at either end, the kitchen unit has an oven rather than a Tec Tower being installed [no room for the latter], its the layout that has the biggest impact on downsizing.

A smaller van requires compromises, one being personal space. Two people living in a confined area - hmm, we had to be sure our relationship could stand it!

We spent over a year deciding on what to do as retirement approached and the kids are long gone. This forum was a great source of wisdom with the debate around coachbuilt vs PVC and downsizing in general giving us much food for thought. Time will tell whether we have chosen the right van. As of today, we think we've made a cracking choice!

Downsizing is definitely a thing to consider but why do 90% of van conversions have a horrible uncomfortable and intrusive dinette with two extra belted seats when 90% of van conversions are occupied by two people or less!?

I like the look and concept of the vans but a dinette is definitely sacrificing comfort.

With the sliding door, there is never going to be a sofa on that side but placing a two belted seat where no one will ever sit seems daft and wasteful. A nice side sofa where you can swivel the cab seat and put your feet up would make things less cramped in the lounge and there are a couple of manufacturers getting their lounges better IMO .

However, you don't need the lounge too big as you will need a fixed bed in the rear (can't be arsed with any bed making/unmaking) for proper comfy sleeping (and a 2nd place to relax) and good storage.

Vans are getting there, I can't wait for an affordable drop down bed van conversion similar in layout to the burstner 585 breed. I believe la strada do a drop down but that ain't cheap, lol.

Going to have a look at the new Autotrail PVC at the Shepton show and also the new Carthago PVC . I thing both these have higher roofs and double floors.

Downsizing, yes.....but not quite yet.

Guest JudgeMental

We like the flexibility (along with 1000's or Europeans) of a van with the same layout as a coachbuilt, two distinct area, one for sleeping/lounging and a front lounge tha can carry passengers if need be......our teenagers have joined us in Italy/Croatia last 3 years running, so a practical van with lots of rear underbed storage makes sense for us.........

The rear lounge La Strada that I have posted many times, with drop down bed option, cost les then many so called bespoke UK vans and are in a different quality league... *-)

La Strada make several with dropdown beds, but some have very limited headroom, did look at a merc based one which I thought was great but gf found her claustrophobia kicking in :'(

globecar, et al, make several vans with drop down beds, including on a 5m

Guest pelmetman

What is downsizing utopia? ;-)................

A camper that will fit in a supermarket car park space ;-)........

Something that will turn on a sixpence............that rules out a lwb ;-)......

Ideal for 2 people but will sleep 4..................... AND has seat belts for 4 ;-)...........

Has a permanently made up bed that doesn't interfere with the driving position............useful piece of mind on those lonely aires ;-).................

Economical.............ie 31 mpg ;-)........

Shame they stopped making them 20 years ago :D.......................progress eh? ;-)

Yes your right I'm a little winker ;-)..................... (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2013-08-18 8:57 PM

La Strada make several with dropdown beds, but some have very limited headroom, did look at a merc based one which I thought was great but gf found her claustrophobia kicking in :'(

globecar, et al, make several vans with drop down beds, including on a 5m

Have never liked the look of drop down beds even on big hymers etc.....lack of ventilation for a start, not my idea of a comfortable night sleep.....and fail the sitting up in bed reading a paper with cup of tea test miserably :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-08-19 7:31 AM

...and fail the sitting up in bed reading a paper with cup of tea test miserably :-D

As do many over the garage twin singles or transverse doubles.

It's hard to get the balance right if you you want deep internal storage for bikes etc.

Will probably still go for a gear age model tho, next time.

Many drop downs now have ventilation above, via opening roof light, but scissor action lowering mechanisms are not good to lean on. Perhaps the coach built lowering beds (rather than the a-class type) would be better for tea drinking?

Guest JudgeMental

And why I think many low roof CB with a garage don't really work in terms of the bed. Hobbys for instance have hardly any bed headroom, I couldn't live with one...... Our euramobil had a transverse bed over large garage and you could sit up in bed but it was a high top. I miss a garage mainly for expensive bike storage, and ease of use. But if I change it would probably be the French bed stretched Possl 636FR or la Strada avanti C which has a garage of sorts for bikes and a double floor...real quality vans. But based on value and layout the Possl just about wins it for me

http://videophobia.com/view/zlPnB8a6dlc.html

That 'La Strada' really is a fantastic 'van Eddie, what a shame that it is built on the Fiat extra long-wheelbase chassis! Over 6metres is too long for us, I'm afraid! In any case, do they do them in R/H drive?

Anyway, I cease to be 'symbol Owner' in a couple of weeks' time -- we've taken your advice, Eddie, and gone for a [second hand (2005)] Adria 'Twin' -- still manageable, at 5m.60., I think, BUT -- now that I've been struck with this nasty arthritic condition, it has a step up, a lower cab height than the Symbol, AND the fixed bed! The Symbol has been an ideal first 'van for us (10,000+ miles around the U.K. & Ireland in less than 3 years) -- but now it is time to move on!

Cheers,

Colin.

P.S. Bartonfolk -- what a great choice! If it is the latest 'Dorset' it should give you a lot of pleasure/fun!

C.

We've got a 2006 La Strada which we absolutely love and you'd be amazed how much you can fit in it, still within weight limits, fortunately being an older one ours is a Ford which is a distinct advantage IMO to Peugeots or Fiats.

Guest JudgeMental
PCC - 2013-08-19 3:05 PM

Eddie

You might like to have a look at the new Possl Roadcruiser Revolution.

Plenty of room for bikes. Presumably will be launched at Dusseldorf.

http://www.promobil.de/test/premiere-poessl-roadcruiser-quer-gedacht-6499251.html

Hmm...Thanks for that PLC, very interesting, particularly if bed can be used at different heights (with bikes underneath on route). Electric bed and doors, very innovative. I think I still prefer the french bed model as dealer says he can fix the bed so one side hinges up allowing bike storage, so on route we could use the front single and one half of kingsize rear bed....I can feel a shopping trip coming on!!!!! :D

At the risk of upsetting a few people..I dont really see a sub 6 metre van working in a PVC. To tight and not enough storage and simply not comfortable enough. 6 metre just about right but the 636 vans really moving on on design and layouts

That reminds me of the custom-built Dutch Iveco I saw in France last year. When they came to leave they opened the back doors, pressed a button and the double bed motored up to reveal a garage with lashing points for the large BMW motorbike which the owner rode up an aluminium ramp which slid out. There was other purpose made storage as well, all clad in shiny metal. When I complimented him on how well it was designed he just gave a huge grin and said "yes, it's perfect".

Eddie

http://www.promobil.de/test/premiere-poessl-roadcruiser-quer-gedacht-6499251.html

Seems pretty much as ours but maybe higher roof, and instead of folding beds to each side the bed is electricaly lifted.

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2013-08-19 9:02 PM

Eddie

Seems pretty much as ours but maybe higher roof, and instead of folding beds to each side the bed is electricaly lifted.

If bed can be used when slightly lifted this may well be our next van if there is one......they are using the extra height van same as adria and la Strada on certain models....handling and fuel consumption probably compromised, but extra storage handy. The ability to carry expensive bikes in van a real benefit! Scooter...motor bike..even a road legal MPV! (quad bike):-D

These 636 length panel vans really offer some innovative layouts....with this van could take front wheels of bikes and seat posts and there would be more than enough room to sleep above I would think......

I must say how pleased we are with our PVC (Autocruise Accent), it has been a real boon to have a width of only 2.1m which is 20cm narrower than our previous coachbuilt which was 2.3m. We like to go down little roads to remote places etc and I can state categorically that if we had still had the coachbuilt we wouldn't have been able to as they were tight even with our PVC! The ONLY downside has been the long wheelbase as hubby had got used to the medium wheelbase of our 6m coachbuilt so notices the difference, and it does make a difference as the turning circle is pretty much the same as a previous 7.1m coachbuilt we had, but we would NOT change the van, not at all! The large opening side door and rear doors give a great feeling of being part of the outside, great on breezy days when it's too cool to sit outside.

Archived