Scenic Brittany ?

malc d

Guest JudgeMental
North coast wild and beautiful..south coast green and also beautiful, in is a great area.....Problem being it is a very wet area! and it will be near dead by September.

Guest pelmetman

Septembers the best time in my experience ;-)..................as Eddie says you'll have the place to your self...............just wander...........Brittany is a chocolate box of delights B-)

As has been already said, just wander. Lot's of places both coastal and inland. The morbian,Concarneau, Vannes. We have both sailed the coastal places and visited many in the motorhome, great places to see, weather can be difficult, a bit like Uk, but still a great place ti visit, so go and enjoy

PJay

Thanks a lot for all the feedback - certainly sounds worth a visit.

Not too worried about it being " dead " in September, as dead = lack of crowds, which suits me ( and doesn't affect the scenery ).

I take the points made about the weather and will go prepared for British conditions - if necessary I can always make a run for it down to the Vendee.

Cheers

;-)

Guest JudgeMental

It's more westerly than Wales, and Wales wettest part of Britain....fink about its,

i have done it in September in a tent when younger and everything is shut up and weather like winter....had fun but not my idea of a holiday!lol found found that there was more life in the fishing towns, with more open....

Carnac and along south an area we often returned to......like you say you can always head down to Vendee or Loire in search of better weather if you get fed up!:-D

Brittany is one of those places that is just ok. Wife and I have visited twice for short periods, once it rained most of the time and second time only went to meet up with friends who were in the area. We would not go back, it has a few pleasant spots around the coast and nothing worth the bother inland. I sometimes wonder with people who rave about it and come to the conclusion they have not been to many places inland. If you are a beach person head further south, if not why bother with it when you can reach any part of France with one overnight stop. As Eddie has said the coast tends to close down in September while inland places, which are better anyway, stay open. Incidently Eddie, wettest place in the UK is officially in the Lake District.

We lived in central Brittany for 8 years. There's a lovely CL type site at St Mayeux, which is just north of Mur de Bretagne. From there it is an hour to the north coast, hour and quarter to south coast and 2 hours to west coast. Lac de Guerledan and Bon Repos Abbey10 mins from the site. Loads of places to visit from the centre as well as some nearby.

Enjoy.

Apart from the 'major' towns, anywhere in Brittany is great. We will be there last week in September, and the last time we were there at this time of year we had the roads to ourselves apart from lots of French MHs, and lots of sties were still open.

yes weather can be mixed - as anywhere - but it's still likely to be warmer than Uk, and of course begin further west, as well as on European time, it will still be lighter for longer in the evenings.

We love it over there, and yes, if necessary it doesn't take long to get across St Nazaire bridge and into Vendee, another of our favourite areas.

Hello,

Well I live in Brittany .. just out side a place called Josselin .. which has a free aire with a service point ..

Josselin has one of the largest chateaux in Brittany and is on the banks of the River Oust, which forms part of the Nantes - Brest Canal.. the market is on Saturday ..

Also .. and sorry if these places have been mentioned before, but this is part of a reply I emailed to a friend who is currently travelling around Brittany ..

""So let me get my map out and see how far you have got ..

Now just a few ideas ..

Pontrieux .( ancient cite of caricature). o/n free overlooking the harbour, opposite side of river from railway station .. Steam train runs from Paimpol to there .. arrives 4pm leaves 5pm ..connection to town via horse drawn "bus" ..

Treguier .. harbour old town .. do try to drive through the town, there is a low arch by church .. aire by river on north side..

Point de Chateau ..house between to large boulders ( many post-cards with it on) ..bird sanctuary .. no o/n stopping though ..check where it is ..

This is a beautiful coast ..but there are very very few places to wild camp and a limited number of Aires ..!!

Once you get to Morlaix I would think about travel/days .. ??!!

I have had years to see the coast ..and except for Pionte de St Mathieu West of Brest .. it's just coast ..lovely as it is .. but a bit boring .

So head for Morgat .. via Le Fau .. the whole north ( D355) of the Crozon peninsular was turned into a fort when Napoleon was fighting the English ..

From La Fau which is lovely and riverside parking .. keep an eye on the estuary .. old warships etc moored there .. old bridge by-passed by new one .. car-park on East side the best with brocante ..

O/n Crozon or Camerat or Morgat .. ..I think Crozon the best .. though aire is very small in the town ..

Point Du Raz .. spectacular views .. o/n in carpark .. when the attendants have gone home ..!!

Coast to Penhors .. very long beach from there South ..check out lanes that end at beach .. I think the best one is the one west before Treguennec D156

Pont Abbe .. Benoet .. Loctudy

Concarneau .. lovely old town and fish market .. but very busy this time of year ..!!

Pont Aven .. artists mecure .. parking north side of the river through town towards coast ..though another very busy place ..!!

Lorient ..submarine pens and museum .. ship building . Ocean Going Liners were built there ..

Quiberon Peninsular .. Golfe of Morbihan .

Well that should keep you a bit "busy" ..

There is loads more .. but exploring is the best way to see and find it ..and at this time of year every place will be busy ..

As for Quimper ..unless you want to see a load of plates on a wall ..see the pottery or visit a market or museum ..leave it for another time a parking and the traffic will be terrible ..

Water can usually be found at grave-yards ..

See you soon ..""

Well I hope that was not to boring ..

Rgds and happy travelling ..

Chris

OH! what happy memories this post has bought back to me.We.ve been to nearly all of these places, when we were sailors, and spent time at the arie in Josselin, (Good English book shop here) Bought fish straight from the catch at Loctudy. Spent many a time in Cameret, ( one of our favourite moorings)

We are hoping to get away in September, and will be visiting some of these places again, this time by MH.

Not mentioned La Gacilly, Vannes and Guer, where there is a museum to the resisitance close by

Vannes being a lovely old town, and an aire/campsite at Concarneau, with a bus into(or Walk along the canal) to Vannes, (not recommended to drive Mh into)

Enjoy your trip

PJay

Thanks again everyone for the very detailed responses - I've got a lot of ' pointers ' there - so Ive some planning to do.

How long I linger in Brittany depends on the weather - may have to move south if it gets too British.

Cheers

;-)

PJay - 2013-08-27 10:31 AM

Not mentioned La Gacilly, Vannes and Guer, where there is a museum to the resisitance close by

Vannes being a lovely old town, and an aire/campsite at Concarneau, with a bus into(or Walk along the canal) to Vannes, (not recommended to drive Mh into)

Enjoy your trip

PJay

If looking to visit Vannes, there is a campsite about 30mins walk along the river, or (certainly a few weeks ago,) a free bus into the city. Campsite is at Conleau, and has great views across the estuary. It was VERY busy when we were there, but that was 13th July, so I guess not surprising. When we stayed there a few years ago it was much quieter.

Archived