Notebook Tablet POIs etc

hallii

I have been informed by my grandson that I need a tablet or notebook.

I have a laptop and desktop and the desktop simply sits doing nothing.

I don't take the laptop abroad because of the cost of mobile web access and it's a bit bulky to carry to the local café, bar, etc.

The other issue is I can't find the aires on something like a USB stick, did I read that Camperstop Europe was available on USB stick?

So if I buy a tablet, any suggestions as to useful software to run on it?

I am thinking specifically of when camping abroad, I have been told Skype is useful (never used it) and some sort of mapping.

Suggestions, as always, welcome.

H

Guest JudgeMental
just google "lightweight travel laptops" and take your pick! There is free wifi all over the place, a good idea is a wifi aerial to expand range and pull in stronger wifi, it is possible to find the odd unlocked router as you travel...

I had a Samsung tablet bought for my birthday last year. http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxytab2/7.0/index.html?type=find

I took it away with me when we went to France in May. Found loads of free wi fi in bars and cafes, so great for keeping up with my emails and my Blog. Also Skype http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-tablet/

BT smart talk If you are a BT customer http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=35287 or same if you are Mobile is on O2 customer cheaper way of calling home https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=es.tid.gconnect

You can also load maps https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.maps&hl=en

I havenot loaded any PoI yet as still playing with the tablet and I have them on my sat nav . There is already an App preloaded when you buy a tablet and you can usually down load all the above Free. Also ask yourself do you need a tablet with a built in phone, if you already have a mobile phone, buy one with out this feature they are cheaper

I find easy to carry around usuallay in a day sack lot lighter than carrying a laptop. I still take My laptop with me and use when on sites with free WiFi .Sat in cafe in Brugge at the moment . using thier free internet.

Guest JudgeMental

we have an IPad and it is handy for carrying about and ease of use...., just returned from italy and bought a 3G SIM and it worked very well, cheap anywhere internet.(9€ for card,10€ credit).ironically it worked everywhere except on our camping pitch..had to wander down to bar on the lake (any excuse)

I think the samsung better than Ipad as connectivity better. and new 3 series? thin and lighter and good spec

Guest JudgeMental
Ipad starting to lag behind now with technology, I think samsung a better product with better connectivity. make sure its the latest (thinner /lighter/better spec) samsung you are looking at, as lots of Tab 2 models around but Tab 3 came out recently so be careful.

Logitech make a keypad that matches the IPad finish, shape and size, and acts as a screen protector when not in use. It clips to the IPad magnetically when being carried, and the IPad docks into it in landscape format for use as a laptop. The keypad communicates with the IPad by bluetooth, and appears to work extremely well. Cost somewhere between £50 and £90, depending on where bought, and possibly on spec. The point is that you then have a tablet computer when you want one, and a normally functioning laptop when you want that.

The keypad touch is nice, and the keys are sensible size. The only IPad shortcomings it doesn't rectify are lack of hard drive, meaning you need to buy one with a lot of flash memory if you want to store photos, and that you have to download programs to install them - CD/DVD useless unless an external drive is obtained.

Anyone with the TomTom navigation program installed to a laptop can install it to the IPad, but I don't know how many IPad versions have sat finders built in. The one I saw did, and the larger IPad screen made routing very much more easy than with the Mickey Mouse screens on standard Sat Nav devices.

So potentially, tablet, laptop, and sat nav all on one very neat and versatile package. I was also told of a word processing app that costs around £5 and is able to save files in Word format for opening on PCs etc. Doubtless other similar apps for spreadsheets etc as required. Worth looking at, I think, especially for anyonewho already has an IPad, and is wondering why! :-D

Guest JudgeMental
But he keyboard on the iPad fine......the intuative spelling a pain but for emailing and searching its good enough I think...no USB the main shortcoming and no expandable memory the 2 nd. Samsung do it better....

Might be worth looking at the new Nexus 7, screen is superb and better overall value than the Samsung, although they are all excellent.

I have the Nexus 10 (well actually I have the Nexus 4, 7 and 10) and it is sublime, I've also owned the Samsungs. My main issue with Samsung is I don't like their "branding" and apps in Android and prefer the vanilla Android. Also Samsung (and to be fair most other vendors) generally stop the software updates when the new version arrives whereas the Nexus variants get them straight from Google. You can obvious flash them yourself, but that's not advisable for the non tech savvy.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Guest JudgeMental

I bow to your technical knowledge Sean....but Isn't the nexus another device without a USB slot? And aren't goggle no differnt then apple in this non connectivity attitude directing you directly to their shops!

As for poi , they go on my sat nav. I use the separate devices, maybe e day will come when you can do everything on one. I installed kindle reader and some books well over a year ago and wife has not read one, these don't work for reading IMO, and to be honest a kindle far better! She now has my old kindle as I have new paperwhite.

So.. I carry a phone, laptop, iPad, and sat nag. And kindle, All excellent in there own way apart from the iPad which I am using now sitting in bed but have never liked much.....

My daughter has iPad, iPhone, and Apple Mac and that's what apple want you to have! But share price slipping as people realising they are far from cutting edge and real expensive!

JudgeMental - 2013-08-24 7:47 AM

I bow to your technical knowledge Sean....

Meow!

but Isn't the nexus another device without a USB slot? And aren't goggle no differnt then apple in this non connectivity attitude directing you directly to their shops!

Well, not quite - there are cables available to allow you to access USB devices. I think there are also apps, but you may need you need to root the device and also it might need to be root'ed to write to storage (which pretty much is a case of "there is an app for that" to root now, but I don't advise rooting unless there is no other option).

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/116771-nexus-seven-gets-usb-drive-supported-cable

As for poi , they go on my sat nav. I use the separate devices, maybe e day will come when you can do everything on one.

What I was going to suggest was if it is just a case of getting POIs on the device (and they fall over at not having a micro SD slot) is just use Google drive? upload them on your PC and download them on the device (?) - but I don't know what you will do with them i.e. will you app just load them up etc.

I installed kindle reader and some books well over a year ago and wife has not read one, these don't work for reading IMO, and to be honest a kindle far better! She now has my old kindle as I have new paperwhite.

So.. I carry a phone, laptop, iPad, and sat nag. And kindle, All excellent in there own way apart from the iPad which I am using now sitting in bed but have never liked much.....

I hate reading a tablet in bed, I find the screen very glary - even at low brightness levels, no comparison when it comes to purely reading though, the Kindle wins hands down. I know some on here use it for net surfing etc. but after a couple of minutes it just grates on me - it's one of those devices that does a job, and does it well.

I too walk around with a stash of kit - in some ways we have gone backwards. I have a couple of chromebooks and guess you could look at replacing a tablet with them, if I don't have the internet I don't really use my tablet, you can watch a film etc. but the you can do that on the Chromebook, but the verdict is still out if it works for me on that one.

Guest JudgeMental

thats another aspect, with the ipad style devices and wifi.....my travel laptop when connected to wifi aerial pulls in a strong set of signals with the chance that one or two will be free, while the ipad will recognise nothing....

was wondering if the samsung can be connected to a USB wifi aerial..anyone know?

Edit:

we ended up with an ipad because the wife wanted one :-S while a non essential for sure they are handy, you can takes to a cafe, restaurant, lounging in bed whatever. I am currently investigating phablets (oversized phones) as i need a new phone (last person i know still on blackberry). some interesting devices coming out now....

Reading the OP again, I actually asks if he needs one - he obviously goes abroad without is laptop so it is not a case of just getting a better formfactor, sounds more like a solution to a non existent problem.

Don't get me wrong, they are incredibly useful, but you seem to be looking for a device and something to use it for (sorry if thats not the case).

Why do you not take you laptop abroad? size? risk of theft? no use for it? - just trying to understand your use case.

JudgeMental - 2013-08-24 9:12 AM

thats another aspect, with the ipad style devices and wifi.....my travel laptop when connected to wifi aerial pulls in a strong set of signals with the chance that one or two will be free, while the ipad will recognise nothing....

was wondering if the samsung can be connected to a USB wifi aerial..anyone know?

I don't think so - the problem is always the drivers, the USB wfi extenders are actually full WiFi devices so they are seen from the OS as a new antenna. The problem will be two fold - first will be OS security, unless Google do one and build the drivers in the kernel I would have "thought" you would need at least a rooted device, most probably re-flashed with something like cyanogenmod. The second will be the actual drivers period - Android runs a Linux kernel and I do not know for 100% certainty of one that works. I'll hsppy to look further if you wish...

My solution was to use the iBoost. and expand my own WiFi hotspot from my Mh, but it is certainly not portable.

I have the Tab 2 ,TomTom is available on it .as is a usb connector.There is no provision for a SIM card though it can accept an SD card of up to 32gig.The SD card is used for storing data i.e. videos,pictures and music all programmes are stored on the machine so make sure you avoid the 8Gig version. The WiFi extender can't work at the present time as there is no software available for the android operating system. Tesco online are selling the Tab 2 off at £209 at this time,clearing the shelves for the Tab 3?

Guest JudgeMental

yes have read wifi hot spots the way to go.... :-D

Gocro..I think tab 3 is actually available but you wouldn't thinks so with the amount of old stock T 2's about...

Judge, I've done a bit more digging and this might be something available shortly... there is this device:

http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/wifi-antennas/super-usb-wifi-antenna-3.aspx#.Uhh9ZeZDulg

Which is supported by Linux (but not Android due to the problems I mentioned previously), but there is a new "device" becoming available - the Ubuntu tablet.

http://www.ubuntu.com/tablet

Essentially you take a stock Nexus and reflash it, but it is done in a user friendly manner, there is a Windoze/Linux app that you just run and it does it all for you, most importantly it reverts it back to the stock Google Android as well.

I have regularly visited the images and it is indeed progressing exceptionally well, I think the UI is as good as, if not better than anything from Google/Apple (but it is next gen so it would ideally need to be compared against Key Lime pie or IOS 7/8).

Your happy with your set up at the moment - good, but something which maybe better fulfils your range needs might be available down the road - I'll certainly look to play with it with a USB range increasing antenna.

Guest JudgeMental

Too much techy! :-D I'm going to have to go lie down now:-S

(joking) the unbanto? looks interesting but is it a phone... and cant see the size..looks a bit old fashioned with the heavy rim....

edit: ah! i see unbanto is software! :-(

JudgeMental - 2013-08-24 10:56 AM

Too much techy! :-D I'm going to have to go lie down now:-S

(joking) the unbanto? looks interesting but is it a phone... and cant see the size..looks a bit old fashioned with the heavy rim....

edit: ah! i see unbanto is software! :-(

Oh sorry, yes - Ubuntu (Afrikaans word meaning humanity - "I am who I am because of who we are") is a Linux distribution who have created a common interface across TV, PC, Tablet and Phone.

The phones they use (at the moment) are all other manufactures phones - Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus are the 2 firm favourites as is the Nexus 7 and 10 tablets.

... and yes, you are right, it is too Techy, but it may be a future option for a portable tablet and WiFi extender that fits in a rucksack.

Guest JudgeMental
Thanks Sean in fact the penny has just dropped and i now see what you are on about (took about an hour to sink in :-D) Yes a portable device whether phablet/tablet, capable of extended wifi would be very useful! but 3G data only sim's pretty cheap these days as long as device supports them.

JudgeMental - 2013-08-24 7:47 AM................... As for poi , they go on my sat nav. I use the separate devices, maybe e day will come when you can do everything on one. ..................

Interesting string that mainly illustrates how IT has become a world of its own, with a language of its own. Anyone who retired a few years back having merely used IT as a working tool, rather than being involved with the technology, will be unlikely to understand a word of most of the above (at least, I can't! :-)). This is not a criticism, just that it seems to me to illustrate the great divide created by the technology. There are those, like Sean, who are clearly near the front line, and others, like me, who might be interested in the various products - if only they could be explained in plain language!

One caution re Eddie's comment above is that Garmin's alternative applications such as MapSource and BaseCamp will, so far as I am aware, only run under Windows in the case of the former, and only under Windows and Mac OS in the case of the other. I don't think either will run under Android or Linux - Ubuntu or whatever version.

The other obvious drawback of the wireless devices that use the mobile phone networks for internet connectivity, is that they tend to become very expensive indeed to use when roamed. WiFi hotspots, on the other hand, are quite widespread, with many free to use or available at nominal cost (UK club sites excepted!).

IMO, there is still considerable advantage when travelling abroad to having a laptop running either Windows or Mac OS, that has a decent hard drive, an optical drive, USB and SD card ports/slots, and WiFI connectivity. So long, I think, as one stays away from Windows 8 which seems overly aimed at tablet PCs.

But, notwithstanding, the Logitech keyboard for use with an IPad seemed to me to turn it into something actually productively useful, rather than a device for merely looking at stuff someone else has already produced. Mind, the IPad alone cost £600, to give it sufficient working memory for photo storage and editing, so not a cheap option, though very neat and compact.

All very interesting, I am still watching and reading, I have a good laptop but lugging it around to a local wi-fi hot spot is no fun, hence the need for a tablet etc.

From what I read here it seems that a Wi-Fi range extender will not work with this, is that right?

The Samsung Tab3 is available from Asdfa for £179 as to whether that is 8Gb or 16Gb the ad is not clear. It has a mini SD slot up to 32 Gb so it doesn't really matter.

I feel a purchase coming on......

H

Guest JudgeMental

once you buy a local SIM (approx 9€) and buy some data time (approx 10€ credit) thats is enough for a month of internet use? (not massive downloads obviously) and once you have a SIM for italy/Spain and any country yo tend to visit (France being france not so easy!) you can use them next time and just top up....No faffing about looking for wifi etc.... In italy this was cheaper then buying wifi on site we use...France, all the municipals we used had free wifi so the SIM card issue not so important

Asda are selling the 7" version 8gb for £179 the 10" version is £325, that's £100 up on the Tab 2 10.1

it pays to be a late adopter when it comes to tech.

I'm off to John Lewis' to get the Tab 2 10.1 16Gb for £225 with two years warranty for my bro'.

Archived