Smelly fridge exhaust

Guest peter

Hi, I've just been away for a weeks holiday in my newly aquired Rapido 710f and when running the fridge on Butane gas it gives off a horrible smell and stains the exhaust flue all brown and also the side of the van. It is fitted with an Electrolux unit. So we had to spend most of the time on a hookup, which was a real pain, and expensive. Has anybody come across this problem before or has any idea what is causing it. Any help would be most appreciated. I am quite handy at DIY if I know what the cause is. Many thanks.

Hi- there is only one thing for it but to take out the fridge and check the gas jet and also if there is any debris collected in side around the flue area, possible insect formation and the state of the insulation around the flue. If every thing looks fine then you need a gas engineer to replace the gas jet to be on the safe side. chas

Thanks for the help guys, that's a brilliant site you steered me to Terrytraveller looks like i've found the culprit, Brownhills screw up again and not done propper service on 'fridge as promised before purchase. Ah well like the saying goes " if you want something doing propperly, do it yourself".

Had a look at fridge today using info' off above website. Flue was clogged up with crap/soot, used wire thingy in flue to clear it. If you use this method you will have to remove burner box or it will get full of soot. If you do like I did and drop the wire down the flue, get a piece of 3 core flex and push it up from the bottom to get it back hooked over the flue. Fired it up and worked a treat no smell at all. Be carefull when you remove the gas pipe as the jet is held in by it and will probably drop off, it is a bright metal dome like piece and would be easy to loose as I nearly did as I did not realise it was there until I saw it on the floor of fridge enclosure, had to look at the website to find out what it was. I also took the opportunity to seal the enclosure properly, I used 15mm pipe lagging to seal the bottom as it just pushed under the unit nice and tight. Thanks again Terrytraveller for taking the time to post that website, what a mine of info'. Thats the good thing about forums like this, people who have the info' for a problem taking the time to enlighten us ignorant newbies.

Hi Peter and well done, saves a fortune if you are just a little bit daring. Just a thought - I wonder if your fridge flame is burning a nice blue colour? If it's burning with a yellow tip, it might suggest that the gas air ratio needs some adjustment (covered on Brians web page), and might account for some of the sooting up, or perhaps the cylinder regulator might need replacing, or even old/contaminated gas in the cylinder or fridge gas jet is substandard. If you light one of the hobs and the gas flame looks good then that will have checked out the gas and regulator. Regards Terry

Hi Terry, yes the flame is a nice bright blue colour. I always do my own work as I cannot trust anybody else to do it properly, in any case why pay someone else to do something I can do myself. The only thing I wont bother to touch is electronics. Anything else , engines and bodywork included I will do myself as I have spent a fortune over the years for all the tools required.

Archived