Brakes,What is this?

gocro

Looking to add an extra earth strap,found this dangling by the nearside calliper. Is it a sensor for abs(I didn't think I had it) or what? There's no dash warnings and it looks like it's been loitering there for some time.

2007 peugeot 2.2 120bhp

357169261_20130821_114259_resized(2).jpg.3d3df03dd04344eb41697f3f9e676dd6.jpg

I think the ABS wiring goes to rear of hub, just checked my 2011 2.3 and the rubber grommit for that had come out of bracket and it was lying on driveshaft. At a total guess, pad wear indicator?

p.s. AFAIK all x2/50's have ABS

I don't know what it is, but, if it's literally "dangling" by the nearside brake caliper, it may well have nothing to do with the brakes and have just fallen down from above.

Have you checked what's on the offside? If this dangly thing had anything to do with the brakes (ABS or pad-wearing sensors) I'd expect to see something similar on both sides of the vehicle.

I suggest you contact a Peugeot agent about this ASAP (Perhaps you could e-mail them the photo?) You definitely do not want to be driving a vehicle with something dangling in that area.

Hello,

Colin is exactly right. Hello Colin BTW.

Why would i bother to post that?

I think it is time to make an announcement.....

All X250's have ABS and all have brake pad wear sensors.

The pad wear sensors are not connected to anything.

I am not joking.

If you disconnect the wires or have a worn out pad where the sensor is, there should be a warning light on the dash; but there isn't.

Don't shoot me; I don't work for Fiat or Peugeot or Citroen for that matter!

This is an X250 fault only, and does not affect any vans made before 2006 and for all i know has been rectified on Euro 5 vans. But i doubt that very much.

So to absolutely, correctly answer gocro's question....

It's an ornament; but less useful.

Nick

euroserv - 2013-08-21 2:04 PM

Hello,

Colin is exactly right. Hello Colin BTW.

Why would i bother to post that?

I think it is time to make an announcement.....

All X250's have ABS and all have brake pad wear sensors.

The pad wear sensors are not connected to anything.

I am not joking.

If you disconnect the wires or have a worn out pad where the sensor is, there should be a warning light on the dash; but there isn't.

Don't shoot me; I don't work for Fiat or Peugeot or Citroen for that matter!

This is an X250 fault only, and does not affect any vans made before 2006 and for all i know has been rectified on Euro 5 vans. But i doubt that very much.

So to absolutely, correctly answer gocro's question....

It's an ornament; but less useful.

Nick

The big question is whether to laugh or cry. What I love about this sort of info is that you begin to wonder what else is going on .....the unknown unknowns.

This is a link to a Ducato pad-wear-related thread on the Fiat Forum:

http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/232060-ducato-x250-brake-pad-sensor-wire-cut-dealer.html

Now, I know that Nick (euroserv) is a Fiat Ducato guru, but a) gocro's 2007 motorhome is based on a Peugeot Boxer X250, b) the 'dangling' thingie looks massively over-engineered merely to be a pad-wear sensor and c) it also looks remarkably clean for a part that is intended to be by (or somewhere near) the brake caliper and (presumably) has been there since 2007.

I note that colin has said the cabling for his motorhome's ABS system had become detached and was lying on the driveshaft, and that gocro has found broken wiring and there's an ABS warning-light at start up (Isn't that normal and OK as long as the light goes out?).

Is the thing in gicro's photo actually attached to the caliper, or just loose and hanging there? If the latter then, whatever the thing's function, it needs repositioning to where it should be.

Sorry Derek maybe my post wasn't clear, the wiring to ABS (appears) to be at rear of hub, just about visible on the photos above, the item above is the one that on mine had come adrift about a foot above the photo and was lying on drive shaft without getting under to look again I'm sure the ribbed section is black the same colour as the UJ boot in photo, so it's a bit deceptive, also mine has a small wire comes out the bottom and goes to caliper/pad

Colin, As far as I am aware, the pad wear sensor wire should NOT come out the bottom but the front of the caliper . There should be a retaining clip which holds the connector in place on the caliper. It looks to me like the replacementt pads have not been fitted correctly. Albeit the wire does nothing, but highlights whoever fitted the pads did not know what they were doing.

A slight 'aside' this, but when I replaced the front pads on my 2006 ( pre X250 ) Peugeot Boxer I discovered that only one side has a pad wear indicator connection ( and only one pair of pads has the wear contact ). The assumption presumably being that if one side is worn so is the other and as pads are replaced in pairs only there is no need to spend money on two bits of wire when one will do .......

Harvey

Derek Uzzell - 2013-08-22 8:58 AM

This is a link to a Ducato pad-wear-related thread on the Fiat Forum:

http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/232060-ducato-x250-brake-pad-sensor-wire-cut-dealer.html

Now, I know that Nick (euroserv) is a Fiat Ducato guru, but a) gocro's 2007 motorhome is based on a Peugeot Boxer X250, b) the 'dangling' thingie looks massively over-engineered merely to be a pad-wear sensor and c) it also looks remarkably clean for a part that is intended to be by (or somewhere near) the brake caliper and (presumably) has been there since 2007.

I note that colin has said the cabling for his motorhome's ABS system had become detached and was lying on the driveshaft, and that gocro has found broken wiring and there's an ABS warning-light at start up (Isn't that normal and OK as long as the light goes out?).

Is the thing in gicro's photo actually attached to the caliper, or just loose and hanging there? If the latter then, whatever the thing's function, it needs repositioning to where it should be.

Derek,

The wiring in the photograph is absolutely, definitely the brake pad sensor wiring. It is supposed to be 'parked' on a retaining clip and clearly is not.

There is only one fitted and it is to the inside pad on the nearside.

All OE and after-market pad sets ALL come with sensor wires.

Apart from some engine/gearbox variations and specific trim items ALL Ducato, Relay and Boxer vehicles are built in the same factory using identical parts, so that kind of makes me a Sevel 'guru' and that includes all of the different badges that they wear. I don't profess to know absolutely everything but my experience with these vehicles in extensive to say the least.

Nick

There was the remains of a wire poking out of the front of the calliper and a piece of stainless steel also,which I think may have been a bracket.Closer inspection has revealed a broken wire inside the corrugated sleeve,so that the brake warning would be broken it two ways. I've tied it up out of the way of the moving parts,and there it will stay.

Spell checked with Speckie

Given the fairly useless nature of the device; 'the tie it up out of the way' procedure will be more than adequate until next time he has pads fitted then they can be connected up correctly, secured as intended and provide no useful information as it was designed to do!

Nick

When it comes to motorcaravans I am no fan of pad wear indicators. I recently inspected the probably original 15 year old pads on my vehicle. They were all above the minimum recomended thickness but one had completly parted company with its backplate due to corrosion and some of other were in the process of being forced apart.

I spoke to Dave Newell about this as he services mainly motorcaravans and he confirmed that its a fairly common problem due to their low annual mileage.

My recomendation for our low usage vehicles is not to just rely on a warning light but strip and inspect the pads once every 3 years years.

Incidentally after a fruitless search for softer pads I eventually fitted EBC red pads as the company thought they might have a slightly higher coefficient of friction than the original equipment.

I am very pleased as at the recent MOT the readings had risen by 12%

Archived