La Route Des Grandes Alpes / Tarn Gorge

Tracker

We are planning a 3 (ish) week trip in September and the idea is to drive to Thonon les Bains on Lac Leman via the Schlumpf motor museum at Mulhouse, and then follow the Route des Grandes Alpes to Lyon, with diversions where interest or whim takes us.

Never having driven in Switzerland we are wary of getting caught up on the Motorway system without the necessary vignette and as we are only passing through can I presume that it is as easy to avoid the toll road network as it is in France by simply being aware of the 'peage' (or similar?) signs?

As with all mountains, we assume that the weather can be unpredictable so we need a back up plan in case of too much zero visibility or wet and cold in Les Alpes so we are sort of thinking, from Lyon across to Millau and the Tarn Gorge via Avignon and thence homeward via Limoges and the usual route North, maybe via Briare and the middle Loire Valley if time and weather create or dictate?

We are particularly interested in those easily missed scenic, unspoilt vilage, and archetectural gems that the tour books don't always tell you about and would appreciate any pointers of 'not to be missed' places to visit from those who are familiar with the area please.

Thanks.

Rich, re the Route des Grande Alps, I would refer you to my post about it I think in 2011. Nothing will have changed and it gives a bit of detail, not sure where Lyon comes in though. It goes down to Menton and I would not miss out the Col de la Bonnette, the highest in Europe, although not strictly on the route most seem to do this now. We came back via Provence and the Verdon Gorge then the Tarn. Switzerland we have never bought a ticket for the toll roads, easy to avoid and the most senic roads are not the toll ones. Their is no need to go into Switzerland at all for the High Route. Would not bother with Avignon, must be the most overated place in France. If you go look out for us heading North as we intend doing it in 'the wrong direction' in September.

gwyn - 2013-08-21 5:16 PM

I'm not 100% sure but I think that if you enter Switzerland from Mullhouse coming in via Basle you have no choice but to get a vignette as there is no alternative here to the motorway, anywhere else is fine.

Thanks Gwyn - I planned to go t'other way round to Geneva by staying in France to the west of the lake as we do not anticipate needing any Swiss Francs - unless scenically it is worth paying the 40 Euros for the vignette?

Well what I'm going to post is proboly in all the guides.

Cause Mejean above Tarn gorge has loads of wild flowers but maybe not when your there, also there is a feeding station for Black Vultures up there, somewhere near the wild horse breeding area.

Beynac on Dordogne is quite interesting but very touristy, couple of miles to east is

Parc du Château de Marqueyssac which is very interesting garden,

Aside from that there are plenty of little villages/towns which are nice, but afraid can't remember the names.

Hi Tracker,

In case the weather is unkind in the Grandes Alps

Few places we stopped on way back from Spain this year.

N45*19'22" E0*35'01 Bourdeilles Aire

Side of river, nice ancient town.

N44*48'00" E1*13'17" Domme Aire.

Worth a look.

N44*56'06" E1*36'26 Martel Aire. Service point.

Nice unspoilt french village. The parking is just around the corner at the railway Stn where you can take a tourist train along the Dordogne, 9/12 euro, depending on if you get the diesel or the steam train.

Saved the best till last.

N44*56'15" E1*00'38" Leseyies de Tayac Aire .

Great aire at the side of the Dordogne river, Cro Magnon area with brilliant museums, (you might even meet Pelmetman or Antony there)

good cafes, free WiFi at the Tourist office.

Others.

Rocamadour spectacular but touristy, no Aire

Montignac.

Lascaux cave paintings, actually an amazing reconstruction.

Conque campsite by river gorge lit at night.( did not stay there)

pkc - 2013-08-22 11:38 AM

Many thanks PKC.

According to my Aires book there is an Aire at Rocamadour - N44 48.013 E001 36.933, with overflow parking at N44 48.254 E001 37.299 in case you need it another time!

Have you seen the cave and paintings reconstruction and museum at the Altamira cave near Santillana del mar in Northern Spain. Pretty impressive.

http://www.santillana-del-mar.com/english/altamira.htm

Guest JudgeMental
I've just made an emergency appointment with mois dentist to get a couple of teeth pulled without the use of anesthetic...Moi's teeth are in excellent condition! but I need the pain to get such thoughts as meeting the like of you, and risk ruining a holiday out of moi's bonce...

Tracker - 2013-09-04 10:48 AM

If anyone is en route along the Route des Grande Alpes next week or the Verdon and Tarn Gorges the week after it might be fun to meet up if the timing fits?

We are off on the 11 September will visit Tarn, Provence and may do grand Alps the 'wrong way round' so will look out for you.

JudgeMental - 2013-09-04 12:35 PM

I've just made an emergency appointment with mois dentist to get a couple of teeth pulled without the use of anesthetic...Moi's teeth are in excellent condition! but I need the pain to get such thoughts as meeting the like of you, and risk ruining a holiday out of moi's bonce...

That's such a relief, not the thought of you in pain tempting as it is, but as we have no wish to ever meet anyone as habitually rude and offensive as you are.

We can now look forward to a lovely holiday safe in the knowledge that our paths will not cross and I thank you warmly for that reassurance.

rupert123 - 2013-09-04 1:35 PM

Tracker - 2013-09-04 10:48 AM

If anyone is en route along the Route des Grande Alpes next week or the Verdon and Tarn Gorges the week after it might be fun to meet up if the timing fits?

We are off on the 11 September will visit Tarn, Provence and may do grand Alps the 'wrong way round' so will look out for you.

Henry, it would be great to meet up, swap notes on our trips to date, and slag off all the other offensive morons on here and I've PM'd you my van details to give the chance to escape if you see us coming!

Tracker - 2013-08-27 2:32 PM

pkc - 2013-08-22 11:38 AM

Many thanks PKC.

According to my Aires book there is an Aire at Rocamadour - N44 48.013 E001 36.933, with overflow parking at N44 48.254 E001 37.299 in case you need it another time!

Have you seen the cave and paintings reconstruction and museum at the Altamira cave near Santillana del mar in Northern Spain. Pretty impressive.

http://www.santillana-del-mar.com/english/altamira.htm

Thanks for the info on Altamira, on my list but so far not made it, will be coming back via the Tarn on my way back from Spain in May. Cheers.

nowtelse2do - 2013-09-04 6:58 PM

Hi Rich, If you do get to Rocamadour I strongly recommend a visit to the Padirac Cave ( Gouffre de Padirac) It's not far away and both can be done in 4 to 5 hrs.

Dave

Cheers Dave, it's on our route but whether we have time or have to leave it for another trip I am unsure as we have had to cut a few days off the planned trip to fit in with other needs.

Archived