Short notice for info...again......... South Wales.

kevandali

Hi Everyone, not going to France this year :-( long story but used most of holidays up.

We are off to South Wales for a long weekend, have been to Port Eynon on the Gower, Tenby and Saundersfoot and St Davids, all lovely and might even go there again but just wondered if you lovely lot knew somewhere else in the area that we might try?

Main criteria is dog friendly beach/coastal walks, plenty of chance to just chill, read a book and get out the wine, you know the routine.

Thanks in advance, leaving dinnertime on Friday.

Kev and Ali 

Well all those places you mention are great and well worth a re-visit [i am lucky enough to live in Pembrokeshire] but here are 3 other suggestions:

1) GLAMORGAN HERITAGE COAST – around Ogmore-by-Sea and Southerndown. Castle at Ogmore with stepping stones across the river having access to the sand dune area the other side. Plenty of coastal walks of course along the Wales Coast Path. Often over looked in favour of the more popular areas. [Avoid Porthcawl!]

2) PEMBROKESHIRE again – the stretch north of St Davids, around Porthgain. Great food at The Sloop in the village. And Newport [not to be confused with Newport, Gwent] is really lovely.

3) CEREDIGION COASTLINE

From Newquay as far as Aberystwyth is worth exploring. Quieter than Pembrokeshire. Newquay is pretty, if popular. And Aberaeron has wonderful Georgian houses around the harbour and ice cream worth queuing for.

Now that the Wales Coastal Path has opened you are never going to be short of coastal walks.

Cheers

Gwendolyn

Just come back from Pembrey Country Park, but stayed on the Council Run site near the Restaurent. Only £13 per night but no EHU. There is waste disposal and water. Great site for cycling, walking and beach. Its not been open long we only came by it by chance but we just turned up and stayed for 3 nights

Glamorgan Heritage coast

new site just opened next to the plough and harrow pub - excellent if you like real ale, cliff top walks also good, beaches are excellent, havent stayed on the site myself, you may have to book..

a new site also open for the summer at Southerndown 3 golden cups good central location for local beaches ogmore by sea & southerndown..

Enjoy

Neil

welshjim99 - 2013-08-22 5:16 PM

Glamorgan Heritage coast

new site just opened next to the plough and harrow pub - excellent if you like real ale, cliff top walks also good, beaches are excellent, havent stayed on the site myself, you may have to book..

a new site also open for the summer at Southerndown 3 golden cups good central location for local beaches ogmore by sea & southerndown..

Enjoy

Neil

That's 2 of us for that area then!

I was under the impression that the 3 Golden Cups Site was open only during July?

My O/H got banned "for life" from that pub when he was a mere lad of 18. We are often tempted to stop and go in there when we drive past and see if he gets the, "I TOLD you.... " reaction. After nearly 50 years??? Would be surreal if it happened like that.

Cheers

Gwen

Mike88 - 2013-08-22 6:03 PM

Caravan Club site at Freshwater East is good. Nearby Barafundle Bay is one of the best beaches around. Bosherton Ponds is interesting and great for walking through to Broadhaven.

That's good too. Our favourite walk when we are at home starts at Stackpole Quay: cut across fields to Bosherton Ponds; do the circuit; emerge at Broadhaven; walk along cliffs to Barafundle; down to beach and up steps other side; continue along cliffs back to Stackpole and reward oursleves with a cream tea in the National Trust Tea Tooms at the Quay. Don't know what the CC site is like though.

Cheers,

Gwen

crbtaylor........ stayed on the Council Run site near the Restaurent. Only £13 per night but no EHU. There is waste disposal and water. Great site for cycling, walking and beach. Its not been open long we only came by it by chance but we just turned up and stayed for 3 nights

So many choices, having a look now, could you remember the name of the council run site at all?
cheers
Kevandali

kevandali - 2013-08-23 8:18 AM
crbtaylor........ stayed on the Council Run site near the Restaurent. Only £13 per night but no EHU. There is waste disposal and water. Great site for cycling, walking and beach. Its not been open long we only came by it by chance but we just turned up and stayed for 3 nights

So many choices, having a look now, could you remember the name of the council run site at all?
cheers
Kevandali
In case the poster who gave that info doesn't log on I am attempting a partial reply. From what I gather, locally, the Council run campsite is in Pembrey Country Park. So it is probably near the Caravan Club site there.I must admit that it's not my favourite place in South Wales. Nice though the country park is, I find the village of Pembrey, and that bit of coastline, a little depressing, and also Burry Port, which is nearby. Llanelli, the Scarlets Rugby Team notwithstanding, is a little underwhelming. I lived there once, briefly, and go there now to shop. Just my honest opinion, speaking as an [almost] local.CheersGwen

Archived