Demountables..?

pepe63xnotuse

Having spent the most of this season having fun, "camping" with our Hiace van(with our old tent camping stuff brought back into use),we're once again re-visiting the idea of ditching the Chausson MH for a demountable of sorts...

Anyone with first hand experience of them?(..I know Eddie, will just tell be to stop pi**ing about and to get my backside over a Dusseldorf motorhome show and/or check of mobil.de ! :-D )..

Of the examples I've seen, I do prefer the Euro' makes over the, rather heavy & crude looking American makes/models....

Any thoughts?....are they a pig handling wise?..are they a pain to dismount?...

Thanks

Guest JudgeMental

Great minds fink alike! :D

I am currently researching demountables but market has not changed much since I had them over 7 years ago, except the prices have gone sky high!. a decent quality german camper (Tischer, Nordstar, Bimobil) with a truck will cost more than a luxury German CB, so no wonder they have not caught on...

If you look at Nordstar I had both the 6L and 8L models over time...

I would never tow, hate caravans so this my reasoning as Italy becoming more difficult to park these days with some areas as anti motorhome as here..... two problems, Mrs Mental far from keen, hates the idea. plus carrying bikes a problem. presently looking at some of the high end american insulated pop up campers (better handling/lighter) as we are mainly good weather campers one of these may do, but really want a european van with back up.

I am a member of the german demountable forum, have just rejoined and no one remembers me......best have a look and maybe best to PM me (dont have your email as old PC crashed) :-D

http://www.wohnkabinen-magazin.de/forum/ich-bin-ein-neuling/142145-maybe-a-demountable-again

I'm going to say it anyway :D lots in all price ranges on mobile.de :-)

edit: Oh! forgot...Dusseldorf in a couple of weeks :-D

Guest JudgeMental

The Swedish built nordstar worth a look, they have a new flex model a bit longer than the compact model that inspired it.... I know the guys resonably well up in Sweden so could maybe negotiate a deal especially for 2.

Have been emailing some USA companies regards pop up demountables, as these are lighter and drive better i would think and good for -20 so resonable enough insulation. The nordstar a bit OTT for my usage with Alde heating and - 35 deg specification. And they are good but don't really think we need the specification.....plus fuel consumption really suffers with a full size hard wall camper.

Thanks for the responses Eddie(..sorry for my delayed response,only we've been away at a festival for the weekend)..

I do know we wouldn't be in the market for a new 'un..and I think we've realised that for our type of usage, it could be of a comparatively "basic"(simple) spec...

Thanks again...

Guest JudgeMental
pepe63 - 2013-08-26 5:11 PM

Thanks for the responses Eddie(..sorry for my delayed response,only we've been away at a festival for the weekend)..

I do know we wouldn't be in the market for a new 'un..and I think we've realised that for our type of usage, it could be of a comparatively "basic"(simple) spec...

Thanks again...

I kinda guessed you were at a wet Reading :D Plenty on secondhand market to suit all budgets. the main problem with any of them is lack of storage, unless you go for the square profile type that mean remova on truck bed, but then you loose a certain practicality....keep in touch :-D

Archived