Never Again

cerro

After spending two months in France we came back home then decided to go down to Poole as we wanted parts for out step and thought we would make it a two week break going down the coast to Devon we stopped at Moto Frankly service station on the M5 for lunch and a break then carried on south the traffic was horrendous after Scotland. Poole nowhere to park very motor home unfriendly we just wanted to park for a night while the shop opened Môn morning as we had arrived late Sunday night. No overnight parking everywhere. As we had spent £100 on derv to get back home and about £50 on food you would think they would be friendlier. (Yes I know we can stay on sites) needless to say we turned round and headed north the M1 was very congested with queues nearly all the way. When we arrived home we had a £90 fine for staying on the Moto Frankly service station for two and half hours you are only allowed two hours they had photos of me going in and coming out.Is it just motor homes that are photograph or ALL the cars too, We have appealed on the grounds of displaying a blue badge.

We are heading north in two weeks were you can park anywhere and next year it’s down the A1 to France

I have to say, being honest....(you probably won't like it) but the time limit for motorway stops is well covered in forums so overstaying and being fined for doing so is IMO 'self inflicted'.  Arriving 'late on a Sunday' in a town expecting to find somewhere to park up is somewhat hit and miss.  Though as you found out, and were most likely aware of in the first place it is more often 'miss' than 'hit' and is commonplace in the UK. 

It does seem from your post that the problems you encountered were 'self made' and the start of your two weeks could have been somewhat more enjoyable with a little forethought and planning.

lots of overnight places in Poole, outside SnJ Fiat Agents is a  good one,on the Industrial estate, do your home work before you  go is good advice, as for the Motorway  fine you should have just ignored it, they would continue to send you stroppy letters but eventually give up, lots of  advice on various forums regarding this , but by contacting them you have admitted it was you so they have got you.

I was in Poole a couple of weeks ago, we were Camped up at Wareham and went in on the bus [love the bus pass ] I saw about 10  large Motorhomes parked  in a car park right next to the bus station ,very convenient I thought, also right on the bus station  concourse is a great Chinese  restaurant they do a great  lunch buffet ,all you can eat for £6 from 12 to 3pm as I remember, good quality food and great variety.

I did find some were to stay as I always do down by the marines SBS barracks. I cant understand people that plan ever single detail, ever body is not the same I like to go stop when and where I like thats freedom and part of the enjoyment for me I like the unknown when I went to Alaska I took a 90 pound rucsac and flew to vancover that was the extent of my planning and I ended up at Artic village in northern Alaska. I also dont understand people that just wait to win brownie points and sit there ready to pounce and try to belittle people by trying to be smart arse Its some thing I would never do I relise that everone is differant.Maybe my Marine training tought me to be self self-sufficient and to adapt, and not sit in an armchair and criticize

.My wife just informed me we dont have to pay the fine as my appeal for the blue badge is upheld.

cerro - 2013-08-22 9:33 PM

Sorry didnt relies I was on the chatterbox site thought I was on motorhome matters, Get a life Love

Was that a reply to my post, or to RogerC’s, directly above?

If to me: I had opened what was, hopefully, a positive and non critical discussion about motorhoming in the UK. Hence my reply to your OP.

Cheers

Gwen [which is my name; not Love. Enjoying a really lovely life.]

PS There is a Get a Life thread running on Motorhome Matters

cerro - 2013-08-22 10:10 PMI did find some were to stay as I always do down by the marines SBS barracks. I cant understand people that plan ever single detail, ever body is not the same I like to go stop when and where I like thats freedom and part of the enjoyment for me I like the unknown when I went to Alaska I took a 90 pound rucsac and flew to vancover that was the extent of my planning and I ended up at Artic village in northern Alaska. I also dont understand people that just wait to win brownie points and sit there ready to pounce and try to belittle people by trying to be smart arse Its some thing I would never do I relise that everone is differant.Maybe my Marine training tought me to be self self-sufficient and to adapt, and not sit in an armchair and criticize.My wife just informed me we dont have to pay the fine as my appeal for the blue badge is upheld.

Your Marine training would have taught you how stupid it is to venture into the wilderness, particularly somewhere as inhospitable as Alaska without prior planning.  I presume as an 'ex Marine' you did undergo Arctic training in Finland?  Additionally every Marine I have met had a good grasp of English whereas yours is pretty poor in comparison. I wonder how you passed the entrance exams.  If however your capacity to write in reasonable, grammatically correct English is because of a medical condition I apologise. 

However regardless of your stated preference to 'go stop when and where I like' you must surely realise that in the UK there is a myriad of rules/restrictions (like them or not) that are imposed for various reasons hence you were, in my opinion, remiss in not planning forward.  However as you already had somewhere down by the SBS base to bed down, using your words....as you always do...... I don't see the point of your initial comment.

Probably because you are, perhaps inadvertently, agreeing with Mental on his dislike for rules and motorhome’in in the UK you have been spared the abuse.

But don’t be put off, go where and do what you wish and except the “restrictions as they are, fare or not.

Remember that although some like to think such owning a motorhome does not allow you extra or special privileges.

By the way, I had a 150 pound “fine” for an overstay on an M1 service area [150 because the mother-in-law panic’d and paid after the 50 pound fine expired. I was out of the country etc].Then saw on various forums that these penalties are unenforceable.

Such is life (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
Clamper - 2013-08-23 11:48 AM

Probably because you are, perhaps inadvertently, agreeing with Mental on his dislike for rules and motorhome’in in the UK you have been spared the abuse.

But don’t be put off, go where and do what you wish and except the “restrictions as they are, fare or not.

Remember that although some like to think such owning a motorhome does not allow you extra or special privileges.

By the way, I had a 150 pound “fine” for an overstay on an M1 service area [150 because the mother-in-law panic’d and paid after the 50 pound fine expired. I was out of the country etc].Then saw on various forums that these penalties are unenforceable.

Such is life (lol)

stop trying to categorise me numpty.....I remember who you are now, but not the past name/names (cant be bothered stretching the brain cells on an arse) But Derek pretty good at remembering past creeps who pop up from time to time......That you have chosen to reinvent yourself and join under a different name rather sad and pathetic to be honest...So yet another thread I cant look at! as would hate you to think I listen to your drivel......

cerro - 2013-08-22 9:33 PM

Sorry didnt relies I was on the chatterbox site thought I was on motorhome matters, Get a life Love

This IS the sort of nonsense that you can bring up on Chatterbox; not Motorhome Matters. Nowhere in your post was a problem with a motorhome mentioned, nor a plea for help with anything to do with motorhoming in general.

The content concerned traffic congestion, lack of free parking spaces, journey planning and clearly notified parking restrictions.

The obvious response to each would be (in order); Big shock, Nothing is free (are you surprised?), plan ahead, and you deserve to get clamped, never mind fined!

Please keep this stuff in the appropriate place and then I won't have to read all of this bickering crap.

Thanks.

cerro - 2013-08-22 10:10 PM

I did find some were to stay as I always do down by the marines SBS barracks. I cant understand people that plan ever single detail, ever body is not the same I like to go stop when and where I like thats freedom and part of the enjoyment for me I like the unknown .................

Well cerro, or whatever your name really is, it seems to me you got exactly what you say you like - "part of the enjoyment", you say above, "is the unknown". So, having elected not to plan, and to embrace the wonderful unknown, why bleat about the consequences, and above all, why bleat about them here rather than in chatterbox?

I'll say again, you choose not to plan, so you "benefit" from the consequences of not planning. Doing things your way, you just have to accept the rough with the smooth. Didn't the marines teach you that?

If you don't like the outcomes, start planning. If you don't want to plan, don't complain when things go awry. You can't have it both ways. The solution is yours. It ain't rocket science.

We were travelling via Poole to get to Wareham last year and wanted to spend some time there, and knowing that it was not only a pretty busy place, but limited parking for motorhomes, I called the local council offices, and spoke to a very helpful member of staff who gave me full details, both postcode and directions of where I could safety park for a few hours.

Why just turn up at a town which probably we don't know very well and expect to simply park what in most cases is a fairly large vehicle....it makes sense to do your homework in advance, whether using the internet which sometimes can provide answers, or as we find, more often than not, phoning the local council car parking department, who to our experience, are generally pretty helpful.

Archived