October NEC Show - Ticket-booking transaction fee

Derek Uzzell

Leaflets for the 15-20 October Motorhome & Caravan Show at the NEC are currently being included in leisure-related magazines.

If you are considering purchasing tickets in advance, I'll draw your attention to this previous forum thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Feb-2013-NEC-show-booking-deceit/30384/

and also to this webpage

http://www.motorhomeandcaravanshow.co.uk/page.cfm/Link=9/t=m/goSection=3

that carries the statements "A £1 transaction fee applies to all advance bookings." and "A £1.00 transaction fee applies to all advance bookings." (That's two references to the £1 fee, so claiming ignorance of it will hardly be a credible defence.)

I'm hoping this timely warning may discourage retrospective "I was ripped off!" complaints.

Colin Leake - 2013-08-26 11:04 AM

If we go we use those vouchers. It always amuses us to see most people ,us included, with their rucksacks on taking their own lunch on that day.

It's hardly surprising. The cost of food etc ate the show is more than the price for the tickets and some!

Mike

Hawcara - 2013-08-25 9:40 AM

If you're in the CC, page 47 (I think) voucher to get in for £5 on the first day for one person, next month another voucher for 2 person.That's the only cheapish deal I can see :-D

As you say, a CC voucher provides admission on Day One (15 October) only and the discounted entrance price is £5 for an adult (age 16 to 60) or £4.50 for an age 60+ 'Senior' adult.

A CC advance-booked ticket for an adult (age 16 to 60) ticket costs £7.25 or £6.25 for a Senior. Those tickets allow entrance on any of the 15-20 October days the Show is open. Advance booking attracts a £1 transaction fee (which was what my original posting was about).

Derek Uzzell - 2013-08-26 1:50 PM

If you're in the CC, page 47 (I think) voucher to get in for £5 on the first day for one person, next month another voucher for 2 person.That's the only cheapish deal I can see :-D

As you say, a CC voucher provides admission on Day One (15 October) only and the discounted entrance price is £5 for an adult (age 16 to 60) or £4.50 for an age 60+ 'Senior' adult.

A CC advance-booked ticket for an adult (age 16 to 60) ticket costs £7.25 or £6.25 for a Senior. Those tickets allow entrance on any of the 15-20 October days the Show is open. Advance booking attracts a £1 transaction fee (which was what my original posting was about).

The same discounted advance-booked ticket prices as the CC's can be obtained by entering a promotional code of MMM (or WM or PM for that matter).

Note that the "£1 transaction fee" mentioned in adverts as applying to all advance-booked tickets is referred to as a 'fulfilment fee' within the booking process - "Your order may be subject to a fulfilment and / or delivery fee, which will be shown in your shopping basket."

The booking process indicates that no fee applies to individual tickets that are advanced-booked (eg. "MMM Offer Senior 60+ (MMM) £6.50 (No ticket fee)"), but that doesn't override/nullify the £1 transaction/fulfilment fee. If you advance-book tickets for this Show, you'll pay a £1 fee to do it.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-08-26 1:50 PM

The whole thing seems nuts, as one would have thought that by encouraging advance booking, queues could be avoided, fees in the bank (interest) and even at this late stage 'stalls' allocated based on bookings to the show.

Or have I missed something :-D

Hawcara and quickweh

In 2011 and 2012

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Is-this-a-rip-off/25916/

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Feb-2013-NEC-show-booking-deceit/30384/

I argued (logically and persuasively I still believe) that the £1 'transaction fee' - whether one disliked it's imposition or not - could hardly be termed immoral, dishonest (choose your own favourite Daily Mail adjective) or a rip-off as the fee was referred to in magazine adverts, on the booking website, within the on-line booking procedure that (I assumed) forum members would employ, and unavoidable.

What my original posting (OP) on this thread was intended to do was forewarn forum members about the transaction fee so that it would not come as a 'horrifying' surprise if they chose to book Show tickets in advance. As I said in my OP "I'm hoping this timely warning may discourage retrospective "I was ripped off!" complaints". If it does that I'll consider I've achieved my objective - I'm not interested in anything else.

quickweh - 2013-08-27 11:32 AM

Confusion pricing is everywhere, ...............................>:-(

Absolutely right - but surely we are all used to that by now ?

I've heard that Ryan Air are the worst - but I haven't used them so don't know if that's true.

Prices that end in 99 pence are my favourite moan, but presumably they fool a lot of people or they wouldn't do it.

:-(

Derek, you made your point perfectly. My point is that the price is £7.50, to advertise a headline price of £6.50 is not honest in my view, for example John Lewis would not price in this fashion. Another way of looking at it is why do they advertise the price as £6.50, what is the motive? I have no view as to wheather £7.50 is a rip off, I do have a view regarding clear pricing and organisations that avoid it. :-)

I think the point is that you can order 10 tickets and only pay one £1 transaction fee thus adding only 10p to the unit price.

However, I am constantly dismayed by companies that add fees for carrying out what they are in business for....selling you stuff!

Imagine going to Tesco and the person on the till charges you £20 for your shopping and a £1 transaction fee........no thank.

I hate companies that charge you an 'admin' fee for carrying out admin to change a tiny detail on a booking.

These fees, and I appreciate Derek's post is highlighting the presence of one in the NEC booking process, are sneaky, hateful and should be made illegal.

Still, see you all there.....lol

Archived