The next crusade kicking off?

Guest pelmetman

Those were my initial thoughts as well Clive. The rebels/terrorists would love us to become embroiled in this mess. So that we would arm them, they would then use those arms against us, as happened in Iraq.

Once bitten...................Etc.

Guest Peter James
CliveH - 2013-08-23 9:49 PM

As bad as Assad is - and he is - I find it hard to believe that he would have sanctioned this use of chemical weapons almost under the nosed of the UN observer team.

Depends how desperate he is. I'm sure he would rather use chemical weapons than lose the war.

Guest Peter James
peter - 2013-08-23 10:28 PM

Those were my initial thoughts as well Clive. The rebels/terrorists would love us to become embroiled in this mess. So that we would arm them, they would then use those arms against us, as happened in Iraq.

Always the same. The ones doing the fighting are invariably very poor young men with nothing to lose. They are shocked to see how the wealthy people live when they liberate the palaces of the very rich. Is it reasonable at the end of the war to expect them to hand in their weapons, hand the palaces back to the idle rich, and go back to living in a hovel and subsistence farming, even worse off than they were before because the infrastructure like water and power has been destroyed. Or do they hang on to their weapons and take a bit of the wealth for themselves. They might well feel they have earned it. Before long the country is completely lawless with most people even worse off than they were under Assad/Hussein.

Peter James - 2013-08-24 11:35 PM

Always the same. The ones doing the fighting are invariably very poor young men with nothing to lose. They are shocked to see how the wealthy people live when they liberate the palaces of the very rich. Is it reasonable at the end of the war to expect them to hand in their weapons, hand the palaces back to the idle rich, and go back to living in a hovel and subsistence farming, even worse off than they were before because the infrastructure like water and power has been destroyed. Or do they hang on to their weapons and take a bit of the wealth for themselves. They might well feel they have earned it. Before long the country is completely lawless with most people even worse off than they were under Assad/Hussein.

I blame our royal family !

antony1969 - 2013-08-25 8:04 AM

Makes a change from blaming George Brown, it wouldn't happen if John Wayne was still alive.

I'm very sceptical myself,

pkc - 2013-08-25 11:05 AM

Makes a change from blaming George Brown, it wouldn't happen if John Wayne was still alive.

George Brown ??

antony1969 - 2013-08-25 11:12 AM

George Brown ??

Or Gordon even. (lol)

pkc - 2013-08-25 11:41 AM

George Brown ??

Or Gordon even. (lol)

That's right he was that good we've forgotten his name ;-)

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2013-08-25 12:15 PM

pkc - 2013-08-25 11:41 AM

George Brown ??

Or Gordon even. (lol)

That's right he was that good we've forgotten his name ;-)

Wasn't he the one who decided everyone apart John47 are bigots :D....

Guest pelmetman
Makes you wonder whether the West trying to foist democracy on tribal based cultures is such a good idea *-)................

nowtelse2do - 2013-08-25 3:11 PM

pkc - 2013-08-25 1:14 PM

No that was John Wayne.

His christian (can I say christian or would that make me a bigot?) was Marion I think 8-) I wonder if he was in Finland with Robinhood (!)

Dave

.......the hell he was! ;-)

nowtelse2do - 2013-08-25 3:11 PM

pkc - 2013-08-25 1:14 PM

No that was John Wayne.

His christian (can I say christian or would that make me a bigot?) was Marion I think 8-) I wonder if he was in Finland with Robinhood (!)

Dave

No, it would only make you a bigot if his first name was Mohammed :-D

On a serious note, I share the feelings of many on here that we are in danger of getting ourselves into yet another mess with no clear idea of what we want to achieve. I cannot believe that anybody thinks Iraq is a better place for our intervention and if Hague and Cameron think that the Syrian situation would be improved by giving support to an unrepresentative rag-bag opposition that includes Al Qaeda then they do not deserve to be in office. Assad may be no better a human being than Sadaam was but you don't solve any problem by replacing it with either a vacuum or something that is potentially just as bad.

Not sure, but I seem to remember he was always fighting with the Emperor Ming.

But then again I was too busy standing on the cinema seat so the shadow of my hand showed on the screen.

Wished I'd paid more attention now :-(

Archived