When does motorhoming become value for money?

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman
neilmac - 2013-08-23 8:30 PM

When you enjoy it and don't count the cost? :-)

See B-)..............I said it was a positive thread :D

It becomes value for money when the handbrake is on....the awning up, the comfy chairs are out and the G&T is in your hand.

After more years than I care to remember, spending around 6-7 months of every year in hotels the great outdoors is a wondrous place to be and a MH makes the options of which great outdoors to explore is one of the 'value' points of motorhoming.

I cant think of any other way we could have travelled over the last five years like we have within Europe. Over two years spent in the van over that time and we have seen and experienced so much. You cant put a price on that and I dont know how else we could have done it.

Long terming doesnt have to cost a fortune either. Been away over a month on this trip and spent €11 on Aires, water etc. Spent a fortune on French goodies though! :-D

When you use it as much as you can.

You appreciate what you spend when you are using it and come home having had a great time, and you can see the M home sitting on your drive waiting for the next trip, which could be any day.

We are booking a trip to New Zealand for 7 weeks. When we get back we will have spent a lot of money, and there are only memories left. All that money has gone.

But the M home is still ready for the next trip and many more in the future.

Who can put a value on happines?

I guess if you want to look at it in monetary terms then consider the cost of a traditional holiday. Before we got the motorhome five years ago and before the recession I might add. Mrs D and I would probably spend £3-4K on a two week holiday. A good one mind you. Now £4000 will see us around Europe for four months. No comparison really although I think Mrs D wouldnt say no to a fortnight in a Villa somehwere in the Greek islands. Just cant justify it anymore when we can have so much fun for longer in the van.

As we get older I dread the day we cant go motorhoming :-( the thought of those jam packed airports /hotels/dining rooms fills me with dread and the cost for 2 weeks away !! as already been said :-D we can have 6 weeks away in our van for less than what we spent for 2 weeks. It wasn't anyway as relaxing as in the van where you can please yourself what time we get up have our breakfast and meals. If youve got it SPEND IT there are no pockets in a shroud. (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
getting older just a fact of life and depending on health/insurance/mobility many still travel world wide. my neighbors well into their 80's just back from hong kong for instance. motorhoming/camping a lifestyle choice and not a lot to do with cost..we have always done it and will continue as long as possible because we enjoy it.....

I enjoy every aspect of motorhoming and for the first time in my life I didn't do the "sensible"thing and have car and caravan I got the fast depreciating motorhome instead .....it's made us very happy .and I don't think you can put a price on that eh? Worth every penny! Pp

JudgeMental - 2013-08-24 12:02 PM

getting older just a fact of life and depending on health/insurance/mobility many still travel world wide. my neighbors well into their 80's just back from hong kong for instance. motorhoming/camping a lifestyle choice and not a lot to do with cost..we have always done it and will continue as long as possible because we enjoy it.....

It certainly isnt about money ;-) as when we first started in 1964 at the ages of 20 and 23 with 2 children (then) we didnt have any!!!! we started in a ridge tent that was given to us by F.I.L :-D but it certainly makes us now think our van is worth every penny we have earned it.

Gwendolyn - 2013-08-24 10:39 PM

pelmetman - 2013-08-23 8:26 PM

Just thought I'd start a positive post :D............

Careful. We cannot have too many positive threads or we will deprive the naysayers and the gainsayers of their entertainment.

As Dave's "positive" post is located on his battery, by definition it's also a "negative" post >:-)

Guest JudgeMental
maggyd - 2013-08-24 10:19 PM

It certainly isnt about money ;-) as when we first started in 1964 at the ages of 20 and 23 with 2 children (then) we didnt have any!!!! we started in a ridge tent that was given to us by F.I.L :-D but it certainly makes us now think our van is worth every penny we have earned it.

we started the same way....happy days! Obviously money plays a part but as we are all on a motorhome owning forum money not really the point I think....That Pelmet obsessed with not spending any of it! a different issue! :-D

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2013-08-25 8:07 AM

maggyd - 2013-08-24 10:19 PM

we started the same way....happy days! Obviously money plays a part but as we are all on a motorhome owning forum money not really the point I think....That Pelmet obsessed with not spending any of it! a different issue! :-D

But do you need to spend a fortune to enjoy motor homing Eddie? ;-)................As a camper that costs the same as a small car is quite capable, and has all the usual equipment to get you to Gibraltar and back :D.................and has been pointed out by others the cost of 2 weeks in the Caribbean will cover 4 to 6 weeks in a camper B-)............

I would suggest the most necessary part of making a motorhome VFM is available holiday time ;-)............

As a 50k camper being used by an full time employed couple will get used on average 50 days of the year, so assuming 5k for depreciation and servicing etc, it would mean your camper is costing a £100 a day for those 50 days of holiday...........before.....you put in any fuel, book a ferry or campsite 8-)

pelmetman - 2013-08-25 9:37 AM

But do you need to spend a fortune to enjoy motor homing Eddie? ;-)................As a camper that costs the same as a small car is quite capable, and has all the usual equipment to get you to Gibraltar and back :D.................and has been pointed out by others the cost of 2 weeks in the Caribbean will cover 4 to 6 weeks in a camper B-)............

I would suggest the most necessary part of making a motorhome VFM is available holiday time ;-)............

As a 50k camper being used by an full time employed couple will get used on average 50 days of the year, so assuming 5k for depreciation and servicing etc, it would mean your camper is costing a £100 a day for those 50 days of holiday...........before.....you put in any fuel, book a ferry or campsite 8-)

.....I'd suggest that you try to differentiate between cost and value to further develop your argument. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2013-08-25 9:47 AM

.....I'd suggest that you try to differentiate between cost and value to further develop your argument. ;-)

Fair enough..............What has the most value ..........Your time spent at work............Or your time away in the camper ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

Well pelmet as per usual money obsessed...the cost of everything value of nothing springs to mind. (Oscar Wilde) Of course it's possible to have a great adventure in a van costing very little, that was my point about money not being an issue, and we all have to start somewhere....my sons friends have just completed the Mongol charity rally, where you buy a wreck, drive it to Mongolia and donate car to poor family and fly back...memory's like that will be with them for a lifetime.

But making comparisons between a couple of weeks long haul and months in Europe in a van ludicrous!lol they are very differnt holidays.....

We go long haul every year and yes it costs...but extremely memorable thought provoking holidays, we enjoy european camping very much, but also flying further afield.....incidentally Antigua 7 years ago holds more good memory's and experiences than 6 weeks in van in Spain! And India last year was mesmerising....

Big world out there and only one life to enjoy. if you want a chance of enlightenment and at least to broaden the mind, no better way than travel, in whatever way you can afford.......my daughter has seen much more of the world than us already and she has just turned 22 and we have seen considerably more then our parents....years ago some never ventured outside the towns born in..... :-D

And majority of Americans don't own a passport! :D

....as a serious answer, I would suggest that for some (maybe many?) people that simply isn't true.

Again, this is because I approach the question from the value rather than the cost angle.

Whilst working, I would often come home at weekends kn*ckered and ready to slob about doing nothing much until the Monday morning.

Having a 'van on the drive gave the incentive to get up and away, with the kids, and spend precious time with them in the outdoors that would otherwise have been lost.

I have distinct memories of often coming home on a Friday distinctly disinclined to head away in the (already-loaded) 'van, but being already committed.

I have few, if any memories, of me having regretted it once I was away.

In making the best use of our (work-limited) holiday time, we've travelled most of Europe in our 'van(s), and that's instilled a sense of adventure and independence in our kids (no conventional package holidays for them), that has rolled over into their adult life.

So, limited time, but great value!

With more travelling time on our hands, the pattern of use has changed (witness the Scandinavian visit which wouldn't have been viable whilst working), and we are likely to have our third essay abroad this year at the end of September (we've only managed a maximum of 2 in a year before).

Does this make it better value? In pure cost terms it probably does, for every other factor, it simply makes it different. ;-)

Archived