York or Harrogate

trickydicky

Gwendolyn - 2013-08-24 11:31 PM

Robinhood - 2013-08-24 10:17 PM

Gwendolyn - 2013-08-24 10:09 PM

That’s just the price for the “set” Afternoon Tea. You can just have a pot of tea and a cake. But I love taking afternoon teas. Especially Champagne Teas. Pump Rooms in Bath is another favourite venue of mine. Afternoon tea – one of life’s pleasures.

....actually, that's the price of the "officer's mess" equivalent of afternoon tea.

The "canteen" equivalent is somewhat cheaper, (e.g. a cream tea at £9) and not pre-bookable.

Nonetheless, I'll bet you won't see many genuine Yorkshire folk in there at those prices. ;-)

(cardboard shoebox?)

edit

Mind you, Gwen, it would be around €40 in France, and the tea would be an abomination. (lol)

When I lived in Somerset, [a long time we spent there], doing the rounds of Cream Tea places was de rigueur. Monday morning, at work, we’d compare notes.

When the internet was in its infancy, a chum and I decided we’d do a web – The Guide To Good Cream Teas in Somerset. The guide never did get written…. but by heck.. did we enjoy sampling the teas!!

BTW if anyone is interested:

Hornsbury Mill

Bossington Tea Gardens

are pretty good.

And… for Mike… who is, I gather from another thread, off to stay at Exmoor House CC Site – Dulverton is pretty good for Cream Teas. Enjoy!!!

Cheers

Gwen

I'll report back on prices.

Harrogate doesn't have much to do in it whereas York does, plus there's the National Railway Museum which is free to go in and very interesting. As for tea/cakes - there's a nice little church in the centre of York on the corner near the main street with the shops (can't say exactly where as I haven't been for a while!) and they run a lovely cafe where you can get a proper cuppa with lovely cakes plus they do NOT rip you off - its nothing fancy, just good old 'home' type cakes, buns and stuff, much nicer than your sugar stuffed cakes (cup cakes which are all icing!) that you get in a lot of cafes now. Also, it's nice to support the old dears that put the work in to run it every day too.

Archived