Autotrail window how long??

Pampam

Hello am just putting this post on here for my own reference really: I took my arapaho into the dealers for them to look at the kitchen window it's the sliding kind and will only open about 4 inches before sticking . I have sprayed lubricant in the grooves but it won't budge . Anyhow I made the appointment 6 weeks ago took the van in and no they couldn't fix it .it also turns out that that particular window no longer exists . So autotrail don't have any . I looked at the new arapaho and they have the hinged opening window instead. So have informed the service desk at the dealership that would be happy to have a hinged window in its place ,although it wouldn't match the other windows . It's only when cooking there is no thru draught taking steam etc away ,or should I bother methinks? Anyhow I thought I'd post this on here then I can see how many pages this thread is down to before I have any action or satisfaction by the dealers (am sure the thread will be buried before I hear from them again ) lets see eh ? Pp

If youy live any where near Grimsby why not go to the service centre at the Factory and get them to do it.

The problem with dealers is they cant be bothered. We had problems with our previous Autotrail, the dealer could not fix the problem, at the Factory they took about 30 seconds to find the problem and fixed it and acouple of others in 2 hours. On another occasion the dealers said it would take weeks to get a part, I contacted the Factoy and it was delivered 2 days later.

If you look on the windows you will find a manufacturer's name (i.e. Polyplastic, Seitz/Dometic or whatever). I suggest you start from there.

However, it seems improbable that AT do not have any stock of spares for older models, since the implication would be that once the van is out of production you have to throw it away if you need a part. Many of the window manufacturers can, and do, supply parts or replacements for their products, and with a few exceptions the windows fitted by converters are the standard products of the manufacturers. So, whereas your dealer may be right that the window for your van is no longer fitted as standard, I'd be rather surprised if there is no viable source of supply.

BUT, there is no logical reason that I can think of for a sliding window sticking to the extent it cannot be slid. There is a simple track in which it slides, and almost the only thing that can prevent it sliding, is a physical obstruction. If you are not the first owner of your van, is it possible that a previous owner has somehow restricted the travel of the slider as a security measure, possibly by placing or screwing an obstruction in the top or bottom track? Time for a bit of close investigation and DIY, possibly?

When we had a caravan I used to have a little puffer of CHALK to apply around the rubber, it stopped them sticking :-S maybe if you can push the window back as far as you can and apply this it might help !! with the heat we have been having the glass could have stuck to the melting rubber.

:-D Just a suggestion if all else fails.

Thanks for all your answers I have sprayed the runner with that thetford spray and can't see any obstruction . Neither could the service repair guy I booked it in really to see if the dealers would be able to do anything . If not then I will give autotrail a ring and see how much a new window would be luckily its not a serious problem: : I live in doncaster so Grimsby is only down m180 so if it turns out its not under warranty I will get in touch with factory : if me or OH we're handy we could have gone to olearys cos they only at Beverley but we are useless!! And I mean really useless at anything handy: thanks pp

As a guess, I suspect that one or both of the slider channels has got blocked or come detached at a fixing point.

The channels can get a build up of "green" algae, as often seen on cab door windows.

The bottom one being the commonest culprit. A good clean of the channel should then rectify the problem.

Check the measurement between the top & bottom channels at each end, If the measurements are the same, it would indicate the cause is within the channel, if they differ it would almost certainly confirm a detached fixing.

Sadly Auto-Trail do not seem to keep many spares now. As an example my husband damaged the habitation door on our 2001 Cheyenne. I think the date was about 2004 or 2005 (no later as he died in 2006) and they only had one door left and were not stocking any more. However, the spares department are usually helpful and will supply contact details of suppliers. I have since needed to several bits and bobs no longer stocked by A-T and have found them helpful.

I also damaged a window 2/3 years ago and had to claim on my insurance so It only cost £75, not over £600 as quoted. That no longer existed and had to be sourced from Germany. Took weeks to arrive but done eventually.

You need 'French Chalk' as used at one time to stop inner tubes chafing against the tyre. I believe its a form of talc and cheap talcum powder is a fair substitute..

A good clean of the grove and then check the window has not tilted and jammed. Its one place not to use WD 40 as it will bind grit in place when it dries out but a soak with some detergent may soften up algea and grittyness.

• 2 weeks later...
Phoned autotrail at Grimsby and they definitely did NOT want to know the window was the wrong size for a new replacement and I must get back in touch with dealers ,even when I told him it wouldn't be in warranty so I thought I could fetch it to their repair department and pay myself NO: I also told him that dealers had had it in and couldn't repair it NO back to dealers it must go : so phoned dealers yesterday and waiting to hear back. Haha pp

Just been ont'internet and found some suppliers of the window : leisure shop direct but really would like daft sliding window turned into hinged window as not so much to go wrong in future: will probably end up thinking aah well it's just a window . But is very disheartening when van only just turned 3 years old and makers and dealers can't repair. Pp

Thanks have looked Geoff cox up and will bear him in mind : if have no luck with my dealer and where do I find French chalk?? I remember it well but what sort of shop sells it? Luckily it's not something major imagine if its a habitation door phew! (Touch wood) there's a guy waiting for a large over cab window from hobby so my problem pales in comparison : pp

Try an artists suppliers for French chalk. Re changing that window for hinged, before you get too far, is there a reason a slider was specified originally? Is it just above the fridge vents, so heat/fumes would be directed in once the window is open? Is it near the hab door, so would collide with the door when open, or similar potential problems?

Yes it's near hab door but doesn't overlap it the new model has the swing window which is why I thought they could swap it never mind :: the dealers haven't been back in touch quell surprise lol will get some chalk and give it a go thanks pp

Archived