Leisure battery amps ?

Karmann Gipsy

Hi All My leisure battery (Fitted before I bought the van) has no indication on it of what amp/hr rating it is. (In fact, there is no info on it at all, not even a makers name!) It is the larger cased long type with handles, but I would like to know what rating it is. Is there any way I can find out?

Hi John, If you are really - really curious, perhaps a better and more realistic test would be to charge it up fully, then put a load on it, say four interior lights and see how long it takes before the battery voltage drops to 11 volts. Each interior light, filament type bulb is probably 10watts, just under an amp. Four 10watt bulbs = 40 watts divide by 12 volts = 3.3amps. A 110 battery should last to 80% of its capacity so;- 110 divide 100 X 80 = 88 amps useable power Divide 88 by 3.3amps (the load) and the battery should support the lamps for 26 hours. or You could just by another leisure 110 amp battery for £36! I think a dynamic test with load will give you a better idea of battery performance and what to expect from it while in the field. I use an Elecsol 110amp carbon fibre battery costs around £85, we have had it for nearly five years, coupled with a 80watt solar panel allows us (the wife) to watch TV or listen to the wireless (via satellite) all day in the summer when abroad. In the winter we have to watch our amps, but generally we can keep up with all the soaps when the weather is dull! The battery drinks a litre of distilled water every 12 months, as it is constantly on charge via the solar panel. When fully charged via the regulator in line with the solar panel, the terminal voltage is 14.6 volts, the amperage trickle feeding the battery is 0.4 amps (400mA). Regards Terry

Archived