Cam belt cost please

trickydicky

Many thanks Nick - lots of caution around the motor caravan world that would not be contemplated in the "real" world , All of our fleet vehicles were serviced by independent companys and all were under warranty and owned by leasing companys

I am talking of upwards of a 1000 cars from all maufacturers (no idea where the chairmans Bristol was serviced)

Cost savings must have been massive for both my company and the leasing contractors

Ray

euroserv - 2013-08-29 11:26 AM

I would like to add that the Fiat 2.3 is not unique by any means when it comes to restricted access for changing a timing belt, and that other manufacturers make as many stupid design errors as Fiat do. It is only because the proportion of motor caravans built on Fiat chassis is so high that the Fiat issues are so widely discussed. In the big wide world of commercial vehicles we just fix them and move on. So do people that run Merc's and Fords. If we get fed up with them we don't buy any more of them. Simple.

Nick

The guy in the small garage that changed the belts on my T4 vowed he would never do another.

I would like to add that the Fiat 2.3 is not unique by any means when it comes to restricted access for changing a timing belt, and that other manufacturers make as many stupid design errors as Fiat do. It is only because the proportion of motor caravans built on Fiat chassis is so high that the Fiat issues are so widely discussed. In the big wide world of commercial vehicles we just fix them and move on. So do people that run Merc's and Fords. If we get fed up with them we don't buy any more of them. Simple.

Nick

The guy in the small garage that changed the belts on my T4 vowed he would never do another.

Nick

Nick

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-29 7:44 AM

Although my van is an elderly 2.8jtd, I had quotes varying for a belt change and tensioners from £170, to £540, seems like there are a few inconsistencies out there, with one outfit saying they had never had to change the tensioner rollers on the 2.8jtd as they were steel, but some later engines were plastic rollers and prone to failure, my question is, who the hell do you believe as to the cost and information given when you are putting your vehicle into "professional" hands :-S

especially as one major dealers quote included replacement of the water pump which they advised, and yet another said the water pump was not driven by the cambelt on my engine. (!)

Edited, as Nicks already answer very well.

Airstream - 2013-08-27 9:36 AM

Hi,

Depending on location try

http://www.candmauto.co.uk/motorhomes.html

Based in Lancaster ok for overnight stay if needed

Price for 2.3 X250 is around £250 - C&M charged me £225 last year

£500 total rip off ? parts are circa £100 plus 3 or 4 hrs labour

Ray

Think they must have a lot of work on-have emailed them 3 times in last 3 days to book the van in and they haven't replied to any of them.

Thought there was a recession on?!

Mike

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mike B. - 2013-08-30 8:21 PM

Hi,

Ray

Think they must have a lot of work on-have emailed them 3 times in last 3 days to book the van in and they haven't replied to any of them.

Mike

If that tells you anything about their efficiency I'd be looking elsewhere ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-30 8:51 PM

Mike B. - 2013-08-30 8:21 PM

Hi,

Ray

Mike

If that tells you anything about their efficiency I'd be looking elsewhere ;-)

Yeah-that's what I thought!

As the above has still not bothered to reply and my local garage can't do it as the van won't fit in, does anybody have any recommendations of a decent garage who could change my cambelt etc at a reasonable cost in the Huddersfield/Wakefield/Dewsbury area?

Thank

Mike

Hi,

I would simply pick up the phone, lots of reasons why emails do not get a reply

Phone for cost and ask why do you not answer your email

Same thing happened to me this week with a battery company, I had forgotten them as I sent the enquirey to several - email came this morning apologising as they had a server problem - they quoted the lowest cost so will get the order

Ray

Airstream - 2013-09-06 1:19 PM

Hi,

I would simply pick up the phone, lots of reasons why emails do not get a reply

Phone for cost and ask why do you not answer your email

Same thing happened to me this week with a battery company, I had forgotten them as I sent the enquirey to several - email came this morning apologising as they had a server problem - they quoted the lowest cost so will get the order

Ray

I'm in Hungary!

Had my cam belt changed in april, went to spain in may, funny noise on way down, went to Fiat agent in Albir near Benidorm, told me bad work done by English garage, fit new cam belt and tensioners. Cost £200. The cost back home £400 and done in correctly. Still fighting this one.

>:-( >:-(

Archived