12v TV versus DVD

Spadge

Maybe the TV handbook would give you some answers and if not a digital multimeter set to DC amps certainly would, although you would need to know what you are doing to set it up - not that I am suggesting you don't!

However, unless the question is purely to satisfy your own curiosity can I ask what the problem is with the 12 v electrics because if the use of a TV/DVD alone is giving you problems there may well be a problem elsewhere in the system?

Thanks for that Tracker. The question was raised because we have never had a TV on board before and I was unsure as to the DVD usage of 12v. We very rarely hook up, have no solar panels (Yet) So I have to be aware & fairly careful during our month long jaunt to France in the near future.

hallii - 2013-08-28 10:37 AM

The motor is the bit that draws most of the power. Even that is quite low, my guess is about 10-15 watts.

H

I think you are out by a factor of at least 20.

Current draw likely to be in the range of 20 - 50 ma about 0.25 - 0.6 watts

lennyhb - 2013-08-28 6:26 PM

hallii - 2013-08-28 10:37 AM

The motor is the bit that draws most of the power. Even that is quite low, my guess is about 10-15 watts.

H

I think you are out by a factor of at least 20.

Current draw likely to be in the range of 20 - 50 ma about 0.25 - 0.6 watts

OK Lenny, well, it was my best guess, I was way out it seems.

H

Spadge - 2013-08-28 5:18 PM

Thanks for that Tracker. The question was raised because we have never had a TV on board before and I was unsure as to the DVD usage of 12v. We very rarely hook up, have no solar panels (Yet) So I have to be aware & fairly careful during our month long jaunt to France in the near future.

The full answer is - it all depends!

It all depends on how much battery capacity you have, whether the battery(ies) are in good condition, how many nights and days you are stationary, the time of year for use of lights and heat, how far you drive between overnighting being the main considerations.

By far the easiest and most cost effective way to increase battery power is with a second battery, if you don't have one already, and although the purists will say they should be identical in type, age and capacity, in reality any additional battery will give you more power as long as it is in good enough condition not to drain down your existing battery.

In my younger days when things were more simple we used to carry a spare battery usually bought from a breakers yard strapped into in one of the lockers and it could be used to either start the van if needed or replace the leisure battery to give internal power if needed - and it often was!

Extra power don't get much cheaper than that!

Archived