Fuel filter - X250 3 litre

DuxDeluxe

Just had to call out the RAC. Very bad (as in gushing) diesel leak from the seal on the oil filter. The RAC guy fixed it temporarily and wrote a report that I fully intending offering pointy end first at the Fiat "professional" dealers who last serviced it as the sealing ring between the top and bottom halves was the wrong size.

Since we both worked out the likely reason why it happened (apart from less than ideal technicians) I wondered if anyone on here had had similar issues with fuel filter? Thanks

Yes I've had problems getting the fuel filter housings to seal effectively on several occasions. Wrong size seal? I really doubt that as a new sealing ring comes with the new filter. Very poor design of filter housing is the real problem not wrong seals or poor standard of technician/mechanic. Nick Fisher (Euroserv) has also commented on these filter units and sealing issues before.

D.

Thanks Dave, but the seal was too big for the flat space designed to take it,. Unless it was absolutely perfectly centred, part of the seal could bulge out when tightened down and could easily do this if fitted in situ. With the unit off the van then centre-ing it was relatively easy. RAC man suggested that the filter might come either without seal (unlikely as you confirmed above) or with several for different units (no idea). As I saw it, the seal itself did not fit in place being probably 0.5 cm diameter too large. Surely the right seal would take up the space designed for it and no more.....cheers.

Edit - the reason that I am asking, is that although I have the RAC report , I was considering complaining to the Fiat professional dealer that replaced it all at the last service.

I think that if the problem was solved by the RAC man there will be little point in complaining to the dealer. They won't do anything and more than likely won't learn anything from it.

The move from AA to RAC assurance by Fiat this year is a crack-pot move as all the experience of the last (at least) 15 years that the AA has gained with Fiats will be unavailable to the RAC guys that in spite of extensive (couple of hours) training will be pretty clueless for the forseeable future.

I am not happy about it at all.

DuxDeluxe - 2013-08-28 6:45 AM

Thanks Dave, but the seal was too big for the flat space designed to take it,.

A third possible option could be that they didn't change the seal and re-used the old one, which might have swollen slightly over time and contact with diesel..

Dave Newell - 2013-08-28 6:27 AM

Yes I've had problems getting the fuel filter housings to seal effectively on several occasions. Wrong size seal? I really doubt that as a new sealing ring comes with the new filter. Very poor design of filter housing is the real problem not wrong seals or poor standard of technician/mechanic. Nick Fisher (Euroserv) has also commented on these filter units and sealing issues before.

D.

I'm with you Dave; my usual garage was the last one to service my van before it sprang a leak; I thought about mentioning it but decided against. Can't at this time recall how long it was between events, but some reasonable unaffected mileage was involved. Didn't cost much in parts and labour so I blamed Fiat!

Better to keep relationships sound IMVHO!

regards

alan b

Archived