Autotrail solar panel / moron question?

Pampam

When my van is layed up in storage should I leave it with the Sargent control panel indicating vehicle battery so that the solar panel can charge the battery? It's just been in for a service and they have charged the battery up . Was a bit puzzled because I thought the solar panel should keep both battery's topped up in old van we left it on leisure(no solar panel) but this arapaho has one built in . Hubby has left it on leisure and I think it should be on vehicle but don't worry we haven't come to blows yet!! I know someone on here will know which one one to leave it on any ideas please ?thanks very much Pp

We have a Sargent control panel and power supply unit and use it with a solar panel. The panel is connected (via a regulator) directly into the PSU which is set to 'smart' charging. This will charge whichever battery is in need, I think it checks every 30 mins or so.

We leave the van on the drive and batteries are always fully charged.

However, in order to retain the smart functionality of the PSU, it must be left switched on.

I would not set the control panel to anything in particular ( leisure or vehicle) as I think 'smart' charging overrides this if left alone.

There may be an issue if the PSU is turned off where it can then only charge one battery ( as no smart software running) tho I don't know which battery, prob vehicle.

Plenty of Sargent replies to similar questions on Swift Talk forum.

When we had similar issue on our Auotrail the Sargent control panel was found not to be regulating and distributing the charge from the solar panel and the fitter told us that these control panels can be unreliable.

Rather than replace the Sargent unit we used our existing regulator and a Sterling battery to battery unit to ensure the charge goes to first the leisure battery and when the Sterling unit senses the leisure battery is full it diverts solar panel charge to keep the engine battery topped up. It works well and needs no attention or switching on or off as it is all automatic.

Before changing anything you need to get the solar panel charge and the battery condition checked.

Hi PP

The charging should be fully automatic. When the leisure battery or batteries are fully charged either by the EHU or solar panel the charge should go to the vehicle battery. You can override the charging systems automatic choice and charge just the vehicle battery by switching the over door panel on and selection the vehicle battery. You can also use this option if the leisure batteries are low and you need power n the van b running the van off the vehicle battery. When this battery reaches a voltage just above where it will start the van, it will switch off the habitation area power.

Archived