DIY Gaslow System Warning

Terrytraveller

Hi Geoff, Thanks for asking - the solo went well, the launch as I recall was to 1500ft,I looked back and no instructor - thought Bl**dy hell or was it the S word - I should know better at my age (60 then). I read all the Biggles books when I was a wippersnapper and always wanted to fly. Geoff - if you go to an Autogas station and just put as much in as you can, even one litre will fill the filler pipes with liquid, you can then be sure one way or another if you have a leak. I found after cooking seven meals in the cooker gas mk5!!, two hours each session, lighting the boiler and heating a tankful of water three times, leaving the fridge on high for four hours and testing the convector fire and 4 hobs - used just over four litres of gas in a week. One thing I did notice is the length of the hob flames on low (simmer) is about half as long as with calor or butagaz. There is definately a difference in gas pressure or calorific value. I am using the same regulators as I used for the old propane system. Because of the very low flame there is a danger of the flame going out in the slightest breeze, the gas oven once temperature has been reached turns down to a low flame, this can also be blown out if the oven door is closed quickly, and was okay with calor and butagaz. The fridge and convector fire on low flame appears to be okay, as does the truma boiler which is either full on or off. When I filled for the first time (cylinders empty), I stopped the delivery at 24.05 litres, as the cylinders were only supposed to take 24 litres. As I needed to test the 80% cutoff and check the filler pipe was gas tight after my resealing I left the regulators off. When back home I then checked I was getting gas not liquid from the cylinders and of course I was able to check the filler pipe was not leaking at the joints. I think I have already mentioned that the gas locker when opened has no smell of gas at all, only the fresh gaslow paint on the cylinders. I mean for years (over 40yrs) I can always remember a slight gas smell in the lockers of my caravans and motorhomes - just thought it was normal. I was wrong. Regards Terry

Hi Rita, Most fitters know what they are doing, but some for one reason or another don't think the job through, or perhaps haven't the time to finally check their work. It dosen't do any harm boning up on the subject, so you can talk with some knowledge with the person who is doing the work for you. The cylinders when received from your retailers are supposed to have a negative pressure (I can't spell vacuum), so you don't have to vent off air so much when first filled. I am pleased you found the subject helpful. Regards Terry

Evening Terry, If I understand you correctly that you are using your old Butane governor fo your system, since butane governors are set to 28mb and propane governors are set to 37mb you will be running your supplies at9mb below the norm, as Autogas is in the main propane. Whilst it won't harm your appliance they will not be working at their optimum efficiency and will give the effects that you describe. Regards Baz Sorry just re read your post and I see you say you are using your old Propane Reg. So not sure what your problem is but I assure you there is absolutely no difference in my flame pictures at all, in fact as I am still using old Calor propane bottles as my second at the moment I would have noticed clearly as I have switched between them with no noticable difference.

Would I be right in thinking that now that they are filled I am in no iminent danger from any potential inlet pipe leak. My MH goes back in to BH's for some guarantee work after I've done a couple of long weekends in sept. I will ask the question how the system is tested and ask them if they could recheck the inlet pipes.

Evening Basil, The hobs are definately lower flame on simmer and I don't have that fierce flame on the high setting, so it must be the cooker jet etc.. settings. I wouldn't have taken any notice of the high flame if it wasn't for the simmer setting looking so low. As I take my domestic science so seriously and while cooking the main meals for the house in the MH, I inserted my electronic thermometer into the baking whilst on the top shelf, and sure enough it was 190 deg C - spot on for gas mark 5 - this cooking business is so easy, I don't know what all the fuss is about!!! The wife reckons its not cooked unless its black, she even burn't her fingers in the oven the other day, yes I do ask her to wear sun glasses when cooking in the kitchen sometimes, and no I am not being brave, as she dosen't know how to switch the laptop on these days!! All the other appliances seem to be okay - but the flame is just a bit hidden from view. The boiler takes twenty min to 70 deg C and 15 mins for the next tankful. The fridge and convector fire flame on low look healthy size wise and colour too. Regards Terry

Archived