Site Fees

howie

On site last week, we got into a debate with fellow campers on the rising costs of site fees. This came about after one motorhomer drew our attention to a e.mail sent in by Jim Hunter to Motor Caravan Mag. on this matter. I won,t mention hook ups, but the price on this particular camp site ( our favorite ) has gone up from £12 to £19 per night over the last two years alone. Another wheeze they have introduced, along with many other sites, is charging for extras. Putting up a awning, more than two people or taking the dog along etc. all adds to the cost. I,m willing to pay up because of its beach location and great walks, but I do sympathise for those with young families or on a limited budget. It would be a shame if newcomers or younger campers were put off by rising costs, but then again I suppose it is still a affordable holiday. Not sure how I feel on this one. Howard.

They are all at it - Just booked with Norfolkline, return for £48,when you go to pay there is a fuel surcharge of £10 and Credit Card fee of £4, so the real price is £62, why not say so in the first place. It really gets up my nose when they advertise a crossing for one price and then charge all these extras. Its fluid pricing anyway so I expect to pay the advertised fare. £$%^%$£ Thats Better Regards Terry

Guest starspirit
Low price air fares are the same - especially the Irish horse traders Ryanair. Welcome to rip off Britain where nothing is ever quite what it seems, just like Alice in wonderland. Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware!

Every one is doing the same - take the cost of a ticket to most shows. You always used to pay the ticket price......ha ha....now they want the ticket price, plus a 'commission', and then a telephne booking fee, and Cr/Dr cards charge on top of that! We now wait till we're in the area, and go to the box office, and get quite often a lower price and better seat than we would if booking in advance. At the the Caravan Club doesn't charge over and above the pitch fee, even if those are somewhat increasing.

Three years ago we were on a site in Tralee. Co Kerry. I complimented the site owner on the facilitys which really were top class. No option he replied. Due to the large number of American visitors staying there everything had to be spot on. If anything was amiss, they would be hammering on his door demanding that he sort the problem out at once. In stark contrast, he told me us Brits would put up with almost anything. We may not have liked it, but we would not mention it in case we were seen as " making a fuss ". And there we have the problem. Perhaps its the way we are brought up, but I think if we adopted the American approach more often we would see a vast improvement in the way we are treated as paying customers. As for site fees, I think the only comparison you can get is by comparing them with continental sites. From what I remember, they were far better than ours and a lot cheaper to. Recent price increases may be down to the popularity of camping at the moment. A simple case of supply and demand perhaps. Howard.

Archived