X Hose

chas

Having seen this hose advertised on TV many times I wondered if any one had bought one and if it would be useful because of its contractable size. seems like an ideal solution for filling up the van with water, but I would not think it would be water grade safe, but then neither is old garden hose. :D

I thought the same thing till the boss said look up x hose reviews, if it seems to good to be true it usually is. I didn't buy one as I didn't want to hear the "I told you so" but if you do and it's the best thing since sliced bread let us all know.

Mark.

We looked at these but were unconvinced - mainly by the price and the poor reviews on Amazon, mainly concerning leaks and lack of durability.

We always drain our hose before storing in the van and this might not be so easy with such a convoluted hose - but that is only a thought and I have no proof one way or t'other.

A common or garden hose has worked for me for nigh on 45 years and I think on balance I will stick with it!

A hose is a hose, what else is there to be said, whatever grading name anyone might use in any advertising its still a hose that water passes through, there have been many questions relating to food grade hose, yes there are certain requirements in the food and medical industries but these would relate to heated liquids passing through heated hosing which is an entirely different set of circumstances.

A liquid such as water passing through a tube does not scour the inside walls as one might think, as Tracker says garden hose is as good as any.

Tracker - 2013-09-01 12:11 PM

On the other hand if space is at a premium anything, like a smaller hose maybe, that takes up significantly less storage might be worth considering?

With that very thought in mind, Rich, I thought I'd try this one for a tenner delivered.

May find I use this in nine out of ten fill ups......still have long flat hose I can join on if reqd.

bolero boy - 2013-09-01 2:58 PM

Tracker - 2013-09-01 12:11 PM

On the other hand if space is at a premium anything, like a smaller hose maybe, that takes up significantly less storage might be worth considering?

With that very thought in mind, Rich, I thought I'd try this one for a tenner delivered.

May find I use this in nine out of ten fill ups......still have long flat hose I can join on if reqd.

Since removing the bloody great plastic box that held the jack from under the front passenger seat and relocating the jack etc (minus box) in a rear locker I have space for my second battery, both hoses, socket set, hose fittings and the second battery under that seat- plus room for a waste bin on the back of the same seat box..

Now that's what I call space management and I doubt whether a smaller hose would gain me any more usable space in that area?

However, it would be interesting to see how they work in the real world so do please let us all know Chris!

PS I do have to wonder what else you carry in your van if you too need to save space - or shouldn't I ask!!

Ha! More a figure of speech, I reckon, than an actual desire/need to save space.

I actually gained some convenient space in my gas locker when I changed 2 x 6 kg Calor cylinders for one 11kg Gaslow. I can now easily fit in the current long hose, fittings, levelling ramps, toilet fluids, gas filler adapters, small gas canisters for Cadac BBQ, etc......

What I really meant was, perhaps it will enable me to not have to fold up the long flat hose as its a bit of a faff and the cassette it came in wasn't up to much.

A springy hose with sufficient reach for most situations might be useful.

I will report back.

bolero boy - 2013-09-01 5:43 PM

What I really meant was, perhaps it will enable me to not have to fold up the long flat hose as its a bit of a faff and the cassette it came in wasn't up to much.

We tried two of those cassette type flat hoses years ago and gave both away!

The really flat one had to be extended fully to be able to use it which was a pain if you were only 4' from the tap and the cassette kept jamming when you wound it in - but only when it was raining!

The other one was a flat hose that consisted of three small bore hoses in one flat cassette. That was too bulky to store and the flow rate was abysmal so that too was given away to an unsuspecting friend who thought it was a brilliant concept!

So we went back to Plan A, common or garden hose, and have been with it ever since. The use of Hozelock type clip on fittings has made the whole process so much easier especially when joining two hoses or using an unusual tap fitting for which I have a selection of pre made clip on adapters!

I had a look at one of these in the flesh.

I thought the bore was a bit small.

But, perhaps, the small bore at the output end causes the hose to expand in length.

Maybe this would also cause the rate of flow to be on the low side.

G

With luck the hose will arrive before we go to Devon on Friday, in which case I will test it and pass judgement.

Rich, as a hose, our flat type one is very good in that it can be used at any distance from the tap. It's just that, after filling, you have to 'squeeze' the water out to allow folding or rolling up.

An earlier "X Hose" forum thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/X-Hose-New-Hose-Pipe-/31692/

I use a super-compact 10 metre cassetted water-hose made by Black & Decker and (as it was scrounged from a neighbour years ago) of an unknown age. Reeled up it's very easy to store and having to unreel it completely before use doesn't much concern me.

The pipe going from my Hobby's water filler-inlet to the water tank inside the vehicle runs virtually horizontally, so I have a piece of stiff water hose that can reach from the filler inlet into the tank itself and can be attached via a Hozelock-type connetor to the B&D hose. The latter has a home-made wire 'hook' that clips to the filler-inlet. This stiff hose/hook arrangement means that the tank can be easily filled single-handed and, whatever the water-supply pressure, the hose won't become detached from the fiiller-inlet.

With that very thought in mind, Rich, I thought I'd try this one for a tenner delivered

Hi Chris,

------------------------------------

Did you say you got an X hose for a tenner? if you did let us all know as the costs range for 25 feet in the UK is £29.99 plus delivery and here in France they want about 49 euro`s.

Mike.

I should add that I 'converted' and old water filler cap with a defunct lock to hold a Hozelock male coupling on the outside and a short 4" hose on the inside and this fits where the filler cap comes off and means I don't have to hold or watch the hose while it fills.

I gather you can now buy a similar device - like this - but mine was free with a bit of ingenuity many years ago!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300917149202?lpid=54&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=54

Mickydripin - 2013-09-02 9:21 AM

With that very thought in mind, Rich, I thought I'd try this one for a tenner delivered

Hi Chris,

------------------------------------

Did you say you got an X hose for a tenner? if you did let us all know as the costs range for 25 feet in the UK is £29.99 plus delivery and here in France they want about 49 euro`s.

Mike.

Mike, my link was to a coiled springy hose not the x-hose.

Tracker - 2013-09-02 9:35 AM

I should add that I 'converted' and old water filler cap with a defunct lock to hold a Hozelock male coupling on the outside and a short 4" hose on the inside and this fits where the filler cap comes off and means I don't have to hold or watch the hose while it fills.

I gather you can now buy a similar device - like this - but mine was free with a bit of ingenuity many years ago!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300917149202?lpid=54&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=54

A potential snag with this type of cap involves water-tank venting. There are 3 different HEOS caps, one non-vented and two that allow air/water within the tank to vent/overflow through the cap. I've encounterd some very high-pressure water supplies over the years. The pressure can be moderated if the supply has a tap, but a push-button-operated supply will result in water being delivered to the motorhome at full supply-pressure. Even when the tank itself is vented, the venting system's pipework may well be small bore and a really powerful supply may still be able to pressurise the tank and connected pipework significantly even when excess water is escaping through the tank's vent and through the HEOS-type filler-cap.

Well as my length of expensive blue food grade hose collapsed its interior white all earlier this year I invested in an X hose at the Northern Motorhome Show. Have only used it a couple of times in conjunction with a Heos filler cap and have to say it was very good. Will not know just how durable it is until it stops working but pleased so far.

David

David,

You actually 'invested' in a length of hosepipe ! ... 'Invested' ... What planet do you live on. What you really mean is that you gambled on someones manufacture of a length of hose assuming it has some magical charm that will make the water taste or flow from A to B more fluidly. Do know where it was made in the world perhaps that's the more important question here?

Its no wonder that the modern way of life causes depression amongst some when they fail to understand the common workings of a length of hose !!

Derek Uzzell - 2013-09-02 1:54 PM

A potential snag with this type of cap involves water-tank venting.

Not if you remove the rubber sealing gasket and drill a couple of holes in the cap it don't!

That also allows water to exude via the cap so that I know when the tank is full!

Mrs T - 2013-09-04 3:47 PM

Its no wonder that the modern way of life causes depression amongst some when they fail to understand the common workings of a length of hose !!

Whilst I have no doubt that we all appreciate the generosity of spirit with which you offer your advice Mrs T., please allow me to point out that this thread is not really about common or uncommon hose at all - what it is about is about making the process of filling of water tanks just that little bit easier for those of us who feel so inclined.

Archived