Eu regs proposed, mmmmm, get your wallet out

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave

"Drivers face having their cars fitted with devices that slam on the brakes if they go over the speed limit, under draconian new road safety measures being drawn up by officials in Brussels.

All new cars would have to include camera systems that ‘read’ the limits displayed on road signs and automatically apply the brakes.

And vehicles already on the road could even be sent back to garages to be fitted with the ‘Big Brother’ technology, meaning that no car in the UK would be allowed to travel faster than 70mph – the speed limit on motorways." (!)

I wonder how much that will cost :-S :-S :-S or is it yet another reason to get out of the EU. ;-)

Actually it's a good idea. It will stop all the whinging whiney car and motorhome drivers constantly complaining about lorries taking so much time to overtake, because they will then be in the same boat and realise the problems speed limiters actually cause.

They do say that to truly understand a mans life you must walk a mile in his shoes. (And that's about how long it takes to overtake a truck limited to 55 when yours is limited to 56 ) :D :D

As I understand it 1foot - this is a law that our German Friends see as applying to them and so framed a law that will apply across the EU 8-)

I recall one of President Reagan's reported comment to one of his aides "Remind me, is Germany in Europe or is Europe in Germany?"

Anyway - as I say - as I understand it - the Germans recognise that they have a problem with "White Van Man" in that they have no real upper speed limit on their motorways - even for vans. So they propose a new law that would limit vans to a certain speed.

So pleased were they with this amazing idea that they assumed the whole of Europe would want it.

http://www.euractiv.com/transport/lawmakers-vote-limit-van-speed-r-news-519589

It does not look like it is to apply to all vehicles - and I doubt Merc, BMW and VW would too pleased if it did.

Guest 1footinthegrave
donna miller - 2013-09-01 10:14 AM

Actually it's a good idea. It will stop all the whinging whiney car and motorhome drivers constantly complaining about lorries taking so much time to overtake, because they will then be in the same boat and realise the problems speed limiters actually cause.

They do say that to truly understand a mans life you must walk a mile in his shoes. (And that's about how long it takes to overtake a truck limited to 55 when yours is limited to 56 ) :D :D

Blimey Donna, some of those guys must have fiddled with theirs then that pass me at 70 , I used to drive an Optaire coach with a speed limiter and retarder which itself was a revelation at that time, but the speed limiter was a real pain in the butt as you say, and in my view did nothing for safety keeping me out far longer than necessary before I could return to the inside lane, and no doubt pissing others off in the process :-S

Anything that interferes with brakes, acceleration and taking 'control' of the vehicle by computer is potentially an accident waiting to happen.  If it is a speed limiter I can't see the motor manufacturers being too happy about it.  Imagine a Lambo or Ferrari etc that is 'limited' to 70mph!  Methinks sales in the UK would plummet.

Not only that but simply because it's an EU thing I am 'programmed' to be against their interference therefore I am against it.

For those who will no doubt be ready to hit the keys and say there is already 'computer interference' such as ABS and ESC and DSC etc those are 'crash avoidance aids' for safer driving once certain parameters are exceeded.  A computer 'hitting the brakes' at the wrong time could 'cause' an accident.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tracker - 2013-09-01 11:07 AM

Meanwhile if we could get the speed limit of trucks on single carriageway up from 40 to 50 mph much frustration and dangerous overtaking would be avoided!

Yes and those bloody tractors :D and I'm in Roger Cs camp as well, especially if it's anything like windows 8 controlling things ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-09-01 12:21 PM

Horace limited to 70 8-)....................Oh well....... I guess I'll just have to comply :D

I'd guess it would shake itself to bits if any higher anyway Dave. ;-)

I have never been able to understand how HGV drivers manage to stay awake plodding along like a line of elephants on migration.

I need a decent work load whilst driving. A nice steady change of vehicles around me helps. The back end of a truck has almost a hypnotic effect.

Emergency brake assist where the system senses the driver has hit the pedal very fast and then tkes over slamming the brakes on up to the point where the ABS cuts in sounds great. The trouble is the cars in a queue behind dont have it resulting in a multiple shunt.

ABS on the other hand is great. I have dealt with one accident where it allowed a driver to brake hard and swerve to the offside avoiding T boning a car emerging from a side road on the right. There was a minor impact between the vehicles but no injuries. The very slight scuff mark leading to the point of impact showed how all the tyres availiable grip had been utilised.

I think its a yet another 'green' plot to put eveyrone on push bikes.

Archived