Reversed polarity

Roy

In the throws of planning our next trip to France and the question of 'reversed polarity' springs to mind. Some people say that it is nothing to worry about, but we always carry 'reversed' plugs and tester, just in case. I have heard that some new vans have a switch fitted to combat this problem and I wonder if it is possible to have such a switch retro fitted? Will be interested to hear comments. Roy.

[QUOTE]Roy - 2006-08-15 3:37 PM In the throws of planning our next trip to France and the question of 'reversed polarity' springs to mind. Some people say that it is nothing to worry about, but we always carry 'reversed' plugs and tester, just in case. I have heard that some new vans have a switch fitted to combat this problem and I wonder if it is possible to have such a switch retro fitted? Will be interested to hear comments. Roy.[/QUOTE] Roy, Not only did Dave Newell sort my radio out but he also fitted a Polarity change over switch at the Malvern Show. Many foreign campsites are notorious for having reversed polarity on their hookup points which is potentially very dangerous. This little box of magic does away with any need for crossover cables and plug in testers. Hard wired into your 'vans mains inlet and mounted in a suitably accessible position this device will give an audible warning if the supply polarity is reversed, a simple flick of the switch corrects this and ensures you have a safe electricity supply. It will also let you know if there's no earth. If that's the case we just hammer a spike into the ground, pour a bucket of water over it and use one of my jump leads to earth the van. You don't have to connect it to the battery any part of the van will do but make sure it's a good connection. I hope this helps Don

I have come up against this problem on the continent and have found a simple way of overcoming it. My mains hook up has the conventional three pin plug and socket at each end but I also have a continental plug and socket on the cable about three metres along from the plug end. I can then use either the three pin connection or switch to continental if required.I can check the polarity easily and the continental plug socket allows me to rotate the pins to get the correct polarity if required. Not had a problem with the earth as yet but the previous comment seems good. hope this is of use

Sorry Dave not expressing myself too clearly. The mains cable has, going from hook up to 'van, the following : three pin plug - continental socket -continental plug - three pin socket. That way I can use UK or continental fittings as the situation determines but can use the Continental plug/sockets to get the correct polarity. Hope this makes a bit more sense VoH

[QUOTE]Vixters other half - 2006-08-17 7:26 PM Sorry Dave not expressing myself too clearly. The mains cable has, going from hook up to 'van, the following : three pin plug - continental socket -continental plug - three pin socket. That way I can use UK or continental fittings as the situation determines but can use the Continental plug/sockets to get the correct polarity. Hope this makes a bit more sense VoH[/QUOTE]

It's an excellent idea, just one thing worries me a bit.  Is the "continental" plug and socket fully weatherproof?

From your description of where it is installed, it seems it must lie on the ground, which is not such a good thing, especially so if it is a normal domestic type plug/socket.

It might be preferable for the reversible lead to be kept shorter, say about 300mm, so that it always hangs clear of the ground, up near the supply pillar.

It still rains in Europe in summer, after all, just not so often!

Regards

I tend to wrap the "adapters" in a stout polythene bag clipping it securely with the leads comming out of the bottom using a plastic close peg. Regarding reverse polarity with a modern van with an unbalance current earth leakage circuit breaker. The breaker opens both live and neutral poles. As the breaker measures the DIFFERENCE betweeen the current in the live and the current in the neutral it will function irrespective of the mains polarity. The worst scenario is that should an earth fault exist on a bit of equipment or an appliance the earth leakage breaker may well trip before the appliances own ON/OFF switch is turned ON. i.e. as soon as you connect your hook up lead if the polarity is reversed. If you are sure your van has an unbalance type circuit breaker (most do) I would fret no longer. (sorry Dave)

No problem Clive, it's not my thread. The unit that I fitted to Don's 'van does more than just identify/correct revered polarity though. It also indicates earth faults which is a situation Don experienced in Turkey (I'll let you tell the story don). Anybody wanting more information on the switch can check out my website at www.davenewell.co.uk then click on new "products". sorry if this sounds like an advert, it's not meant to, I just want to let people know what exactly this unit does. D.

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-08-19 1:08 PM It's a good job Dex can't read cos he'd not like being called a collie! He's a Boxer/ Staffordshire bull terrier cross. The only time to worry is when he's a cross Boxer Staffie! D.[/QUOTE]

Ooh er!  Hope your signature doesn't apply to Dexter, then!

Archived