Fiat 2.8 tdi Drive shaft

fairweather camper

Dave Newell - 2013-09-04 6:10 PM

Not accurately without more information such as what year your van is, what engine it has (no such animal as a Ducato TDI, there was a 2.5 idtd, 2.8 idtd or post 2001 there were JTD variants). Why do you need a complete driveshaft though?

D.

Its a 2.8 Turbo Diesel chassis no ZFA23000006181574 its a 2002 but chassis is 2000/2001.

It has been making a bumping grinding noise on full lock for some time, but last week it started making the same noise when I turned the steering wheel just a bit, two guys have told me it is the drive shaft, other than that I have no idea, although neither one of them has actually seen the Van, it passed its MOT 3 weeks ago ?

There is no way it would get through the MOT if the Constant Velocity joint was that knackered. Does it do it when you put it over on both locks?. Does it do it if you put the steering wheel on both locks whilst stationary?.

it is possibly an outer cv joint becoming warn but its impossible to diagnose accurately without seeing the van first hand, as peter says if its just passed its mot then its possibly not completely knackered. outer cv joint is replacable without having to replace entire drive shaft. first you need to take it to a reputable garage that is familiar with light commercials and get a proper diagnosis and then take it from there.

d.

If it does have a problem with the CV joints; and it seems unlikely if it has just passed an MOT test, you should phone a Fiat agent and ask for a price. You will need your chassis number. Remember to ask for a reconditioned price too. It will be a lot less.

When you have recovered from the shock give your local motor factor a call and they should be able to offer a price for a re-manufactured item from someone like 'Shaftec' and it will probably be a third of the price.

A complete after-market shaft will probably cost the same as a CV joint from Fiat so it is often worth just replacing the whole thing.

There are a number of other possible causes of the noises that you are hearing or feeling including power steering pump, seized suspension top mount bearings and even a badly fitted cam belt cover!

peter - 2013-09-04 9:01 PM

There is no way it would get through the MOT if the Constant Velocity joint was that knackered. Does it do it when you put it over on both locks?. Does it do it if you put the steering wheel on both locks whilst stationary?.

Hi Peter

Just tried the Van and yes it does do it on both sides, about half way to full lock on both sides, having doubts now that it is the drive shaft, what do you think, do you think it would be ok to drive it to a garage ?

euroserv - 2013-09-05 10:34 AM

If it does have a problem with the CV joints; and it seems unlikely if it has just passed an MOT test, you should phone a Fiat agent and ask for a price. You will need your chassis number. Remember to ask for a reconditioned price too. It will be a lot less.

When you have recovered from the shock give your local motor factor a call and they should be able to offer a price for a re-manufactured item from someone like 'Shaftec' and it will probably be a third of the price.

A complete after-market shaft will probably cost the same as a CV joint from Fiat so it is often worth just replacing the whole thing.

There are a number of other possible causes of the noises that you are hearing or feeling including power steering pump, seized suspension top mount bearings and even a badly fitted cam belt cover!

Having doubts it is the drive shaft now as it is doing it on both sides, do you think it would be ok to drive it

I don't see why not. How long has this noise been noticeable. It could be something fouling the steering column, or as euroserve say's the steering pump a bit low on fluid. I know it's inconceivable but if this has only come to light since the MOT, have the MOT mechanics damaged something whilst scrabbling and wrenching around under the van.

CV joints usually knock on full lock and rarely both sides at once, It doesn't look at all likely to be the joints. In fact I'd put money on it.

Archived