sealant

jordano

thebishbus - 2013-09-06 8:07 AM

Hi. Most people would probably recommend "Sikaflex", but I prefer to use Ever Build " Stixall", available from builders merchants .

Brian B.

Second that, half the price, with an extended shelf life and will stick to a damp surface, comes in white, clear,which really does remain clear, make sure you do a good job of cleaning up the old sealant.

Sikaflex goes off in the cartridge very quickly

• 2 weeks later...
Sikaflex doesn't go off that quickly if you make sure that you seal the nozzle well. I opened a tube in May that was about five years past its "use by" date and it was fine. When I had finished the job I extruded a blob of sealant and left it on the end of the nozzle. I then wrapped several layers of clingfilm around the end of the nozzle before jamming the cap on. I tried it last week and it was fine. Having said that, Stixall is very good, although more of a glue than a glue/filler. Costs £7.95 for 300ml tube in this neck of the woods.

The instructions for Sikaflex state that it should be applied with a minimum thickness, I seem to recollect 2mm. I have removed an awning by cutting down the middle of the seal with a craft knife. What was left stuck to the side of the van I removed, very very carefully, with a chisel ended blade in a craft knife handle. Took a while!

According to CAK Tanks website Sikaflex is an adhesive sealant whereas Sikalastomer is a Butyl sealant which is non setting.

I would therefore suggest using Sikalastomer.

I personally would not recommend using a building adhesive as it could prove very difficult to remove if ever you needed to replace the item, or indeed may crack or fail with the constant flexing of a MH body.

Keith.

SIKA produces a large range of "Sikaflex"-branded adhesives/sealants (at least 30 different products, never mind colour variations), as does Henkel under the "Teroson" name.

Which product might be 'best' for jordano's puposes will depend, to some extent, on whether he thinks he'll ever need to remove the locker door-frame again as (has already been warned) constructional adhesive/sealants provide an enormously strong grip if correctly applied.

I certainly wouldn't use the type of product suggested by gocro to seal a locker door-frame (in fact, I wouldn't use the "Carafax/Caraseal"-type 'mastic' stuff sold in caravan accessory shops for any sealing purpose) and I'm not sure how clean a joint you'd get with Sikalastomer-710.

This earlier thread may be worth reading:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Which-sealant-to-use-on-rear-bumper-seam-/30244/

Archived